Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

New guy, S2K shopping advice

Old 11-15-2022, 05:23 AM

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Congratulations!

The spare tire is universal. It only fits on the front because it's smaller overall diameter and will damage the rear differential if mounted on the rear so using it is a PITA. Details in your Owner's Manual. I've actually seen my spare tire twice but never used it and doubt I will. It's now 16 or 17 years old and no doubt hard as a rock. Small 12vDC air pump and some "flat fixer" are in the trunk. Spare wheel itself is Part No.42700-S2A-013. (S2A in the part number means S2000.)

OEM radios appear on Ebay all the time. Correct 2005 radio is Part No. 39100-S2A-A91. Radio type varies by model year.

Get ready for the tire discussion. The car demands matching tires front and back. I doubt you'll drive enough miles annually to worry about tire wear so Extreme Summer or Max Summer tires will provide the best handling. Avoid All Seasons. I'm due for tires and partial to Bridgestone RE71RS right now. Tire opinions are as contentious as engine oil.

-- Chuck
Thanks Chuck and thanks for the part numbers.
I have a small 12vDC air pump I took out of my motorcycle when I sold it and I'll pick up a can of fix a flat to throw in the trunk also. Oh I have a patch/plug kit from the bike also. Seems strange they give you a spare for the front and not the rear!
Not sure which way I'll go on the stereo but I do want the dash controls, well just because.
And yes I'm thinking new tires in the spring will be on my short list.
And it does come with the owners manual!
One more thing, this car only has one key and no fob, I'm guessing that would be a dealer thing to get and program?

Thanks for all the help from you and everyone else... but now you are probably stuck with me!
Scott

Last edited by A.O.; 11-15-2022 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
If you were in the upper midwest I’d sell you my spare for very cheap, but alas.

I just throw a full size spare wheel in my trunk when I go on longer drives. Though it does reduce space.

Congrats. Red is good.
Thanks Cody, and I agree, red is good!
Scott
Old 11-15-2022, 05:58 AM

Received 3,946 Likes on 3,118 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O.
Well I pulled the trigger today and on a car and only an hour drive away. All the other driving to cars was worth the effort though as I gained a bunch of knowledge on the subject so I am not disappointed in the trips.
I bought a New Formula Red 2005 AP2. I do think I like the "drive" on the AP2 better than the AP1 so I'm glad I think I found a nice one. Has 117,000 miles and I'm the 4th owner, first person had it for almost 13 years and put on 80k of those miles. The kid/guy I bought it from is in his senior year of college and said he was the president of his schools car club. Looks like he took good care of it and kept on top of the maintenance while he had it, the 1st 12 years it was serviced at a Honda dealer so I thought that was good also. New convertible top was installed last year, YAY! The exterior is very nice and the interior is pretty good as well considering the mileage.
Now the not so good, three minor-ish things, It does not still have the spare, will probably need a new set of tires next year, and aftermarket radio not hooked to the dash controls! And I know a lot of them out there are that way but I dont like it! So if anyone has an OEM spare for a good price, let me know.

Congrats looks great! I got a flat for the first time in my S last summer and it was the r.r tire and I was in the middle of nowhere. I had a can of fix a flat and portable compressor that got me to the nearest tire shop.
As far as the spare with the tires being staggered if you get a flat on the back they recommend that you take a tire from the front and put it on the back and then put the spare on the front but I would either do the Fix a flat repair or have the car flatbedded to a tire shop.
Definitely true about these cars not liking to have different tires on it. Make sure you get 4 of the same kind/brand.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by robb
Congrats looks great! I got a flat for the first time in my S last summer and it was the r.r tire and I was in the middle of nowhere. I had a can of fix a flat and portable compressor that got me to the nearest tire shop.
As far as the spare with the tires being staggered if you get a flat on the back they recommend that you take a tire from the front and put it on the back and then put the spare on the front but I would either do the Fix a flat repair or have the car flatbedded to a tire shop.
Definitely true about these cars not liking to have different tires on it. Make sure you get 4 of the same kind/brand.
Yes, I will probably just go the compressor/plug kit/fix a flat route but I still want the spare to make the car complete.. just my weirdness. Many years on a touring motorcycle all over the country and obviously wasn't carrying a spare, 94k miles and only one flat ever, plugged it, filled it , and it got me to the bike store just fine.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:08 AM

And tell me about the Key Fob thing... OEM or aftermarket, does it matter?? 15 bucks compared to 150, big difference.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by A.O.
Yes, I will probably just go the compressor/plug kit/fix a flat route but I still want the spare to make the car complete.. just my weirdness. Many years on a touring motorcycle all over the country and obviously wasn't carrying a spare, 94k miles and only one flat ever, plugged it, filled it , and it got me to the bike store just fine.
I totally get it about the spare I am the same way! BTW Red is the 'fastest' color
The following users liked this post:
A.O. (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by robb
I totally get it about the spare I am the same way! BTW Red is the 'fastest' color
Oh my god ... here we go!
Old 11-15-2022, 07:35 AM

Received 1,170 Likes on 1,023 Posts

The car has remote locking/unlocking and alarm which is what the fob is used for. Has to be programmed to the individual car. Car came (new) with two fobs and three (3) keys one of which is a "valet" key with limited functions. My used S2000 came with one (1) key and fob and I ordered another set from the Honda dealer to have two complete sets. Wasn't cheap. Key has a chip in it to turn off the immobilizer.

-- Chuck
Old 11-15-2022, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The car has remote locking/unlocking and alarm which is what the fob is used for. Has to be programmed to the individual car. Car came (new) with two fobs and three (3) keys one of which is a "valet" key with limited functions. My used S2000 came with one (1) key and fob and I ordered another set from the Honda dealer to have two complete sets. Wasn't cheap. Key has a chip in it to turn off the immobilizer.

-- Chuck
Thanks.. I'll check with a dealer
Old 11-15-2022, 08:08 AM

I have the original key fob that I got with the car when new and have never had an issue with it never even had to replace the battery so it may be worth it to pay more for a factory fob.
The following users liked this post:
A.O. (11-15-2022)

Quick Reply: New guy, S2K shopping advice