Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

New here. Got son his first car. AP1 excited to be here and learn and share

Old 06-30-2022, 05:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New here. Got son his first car. AP1 excited to be here and learn and share

Hello!

New to the S2000 community. Here to learn and enjoy what seems like a great car. Picked up a 2001 S2000. VERY EXCITRED!

Car background. Have and had a few. Currently have supercharged Huracan and supercharged Lotus Elise (which is a track car, but remains street legal).
S2000 is for my son who will be getting his learners permit soon. Yes, I know. Not a normal car for a 15 year old new driver, but he has quite a bit of time behind the wheel and quite a bit of it in tipple digit speed!

My son has been my motivation to get back into cars the last few years and we have done it together. He started tracking with me last year at 14. 1st track day was in the Huracan (and that is the first time he ever truly drove a car). Car has 860hp and not really suited well for 'track driving'. After that I decided to get a Lotus as a more 'practical' track car. So I taught him stick in a few parking lots and his third stick session was on track in the car. He has about 10 track days under his belt, and got to run VIR full course in the Spring and Fall .

He has just turned 15 which means he can get his drivers permit. With the help of my buddies advice, we figured out the S2000 might be the perfect car. Found a nice car 128k miles and first owner kept it 20 years and did ALL the maint at dealership. It was then owned for a year buy a guy who racked up 10k as a daily and now it moves on to us. Car is very clean and unmolested.

2nd owner added coilovers, full greddy header and dual exhaust (keeping cat). Wheels and tires, strut brace and a cold air intake. Other than that, car is as delivered. Cosmetically can use some TLC but all in all a great place to start.

Car has a light 3rd gear grind so already have fluid and will swap and see if that fixes. If not, have no issues dropping trans and doing rebuild. LOVE working on cars and that is part of the fun. Want to teach my son how to wrench on things. We have done some extensive mods to the Lotus together, and now we can work on his car.

For now we are doing no real 'mod', but I like for him to get it out on track at some point to really get to know the car and what it does. Our Lotus is pretty capable putting out about 380hp and 1900lbs currently. Finding what the habits of the car are at the limits are important so you stay away from those areas. Or at least know what the car will behave like when pushed.

Looks like a great community with TONS of great knowledge.

New here.  Got son his first car.  AP1 excited to be here and learn and share-xu7o8mg.jpg

New here.  Got son his first car.  AP1 excited to be here and learn and share-zdlgsvw.jpg

Name:  kHSeGnA.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  205.1 KB

New here.  Got son his first car.  AP1 excited to be here and learn and share-ekigppl.jpg

Name:  1AhQ3a9.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  369.2 KB

Name:  QpKoz8U.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  122.7 KB
The following users liked this post:
teckert (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 07:56 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Nice collection of cars...your son is very fortunate. I'm sure he'll be fine with the S, it sounds like you have taught him well.. Welcome to the site
Levi
itsagoodday (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 09:14 AM
Jub

Received 392 Likes on 312 Posts

That's great, nice S and lucky son. That Lotus looks and sounds wild. Hope you all keep the craziness to the track.
itsagoodday (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 09:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Nice collection of cars...your son is very fortunate. I'm sure he'll be fine with the S, it sounds like you have taught him well.. Welcome to the site
Levi

He's a good kid and really my motivation for getting back into cars. Really the kid did not even expect a car. I was just going to let him drive the Lotus for 'fun' and he could drive an SUV or something when the time came. But the car popped up and it seemed like the 'perfect' car and I did not want to let it slip away.

The forum is really nice. I have spent hours reading and researching. I am a car enthusiast and I love all cars. So much to learn about he Honda and excited to get to know it. The S2000k is just such a cool platform and learning more now every day.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Originally Posted by Jub
That's great, nice S and lucky son. That Lotus looks and sounds wild. Hope you all keep the craziness to the track.
Lots of fun for sure. Yea, MUCH better than the car I had at 16. It cost me $350 and was rusted from head to toe, but it got me around. I was hesitant to do it, but like most things, I talked to my wife and she said do it. We only get a few opportunities in life to make fun moments. So lets take advantage and feel lucky we can do it.

Lotus is a lot of fun. This winter doing a full motor build (internals) and trans to support it. Bring the 2zzge up to about as much power as you can put on the track and feel comfortable you PROBABLY wont blow the motor. Looking to soon target 430hp. Currently only running 10psi boost on stock motor. Lotus and S2K share some similarities in design features. The Lotus is just a little more spartan and less compromising. Only downside was stock power levels. In a 1900lb car you dont need all that much but the 180hp stock was not enough.

Track driving is fun, but we do mountain runs etc also. Lucky enough to have friends who are even bigger car nuts than I am. Always something fun to do!

SUPER SUPER excited about the S2K and falling more and more in love with the platform as I learn about it.