Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

new-to-me '05 Rio in Washington DC

Old 02-27-2019, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new-to-me '05 Rio in Washington DC

Hey all, just picked up an '05 Rio with 24k miles and the original tires. I'm catching up on deferred maintenance (all fluids and filters -- including a 14 year old cabin filter, shifter lubrication with new spring + fittings, and a thorough detailing) and having a dent in the front right fender repaired. Although I said I'd avoid mods to keep the S2000 in its original glory, I've installed a Modrify organizer, and will install a new Alpine head unit (with Modrify DCI and wiring adapters), a trunk net (requires drilling > but will make the car more practical), new tires and wheels (SSR or Gram Lights in dark gunmetal or bronze in UHP all-season tires), front splitter (Mugen vs OEM), a hardtop (Mugen CF vs OEM), and LED bulbs
Old 02-27-2019, 02:46 PM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Welcome! I'm also in the DMV area. Reading your post gave me a laugh because I've considered/installed most of these mods on my S after the first few weeks.

let me know if you have any questions. BTW I'll have a BB OEM hardtop up for sale really soon...
Old 02-27-2019, 04:44 PM

Hah! I was perfectly ok with lurking, but I saw your ad for the hardtop and wanted to contact you about it. But in order to PM you by s2ki's policy, I first had to create an account (did it today) and post in a forum (see above). Seems you found me first! Drop me a line when you're interested in selling and I'll take a look. Thanks for the welcome and nice to meet you.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:49 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Sounds like you picked up a great car!

The little Honda OE netting in my trunk just mounted in the existing holes securing the trim. Keeps some things from sliding around but would not be worth drilling holes in the body to fit an aftermarket net. Nor is anything else I can think of right now. An OE front spoiler is expensive but mounts in existing holes under the bumper and 3M tape. The OE rear spoiler requires drilling the trunk lid in standard mounting format. I have an original front spoiler but have a reproduction on the rear as it requires no drilling.

Aftermarket wheels offer me nothing more than bling and everyone has a different has a different taste or distaste for bling. Any benefit in reduced unsprung weight and rotational mass is imaginary at best unless attempting a lap record at your favorite track. All season tires will eliminate even that imaginary benefit. We argue discuss all the time here about wheels and many feel the AP2V1 wheels, those currently on your car, are the best looking and looks are really all that matters (or not).

The crabgrass in my lawn is announcing Summer is coming. I'd put a good set of at least Max performance summer tires on the car (I like the Bridgestone S-04 tires), learn to drive and corner it, and have fun until Thanksgiving. Then see if (1) you want all season tires and (2) if the expense of bling wheels still seems line a good idea.

-- Chuck
Old 02-28-2019, 08:38 AM

Hey Chuck S, thanks for the welcome! I didn't realize the fitting for the OEM trunk net would fit without drilling out the holes -- that's great news as I have no interest in creating holes in the S2000. Same deal, with the spoiler -- I'd rather not drill into the trunk and will check out drill-free options (please let me know what brand you have). I think I'll get the OEM front spoiler and was considering the Mugen, but it looks a little too fast 'n furious for me. Any mod I do has to be pretty much 100% reversible.

I've considered both 17" and 18" options for aftermarket wheels, but they will probably worsen performance since they will be heavier and have a greater polar moment of inertia . I find the OEM AP2V1 wheels a bit bland (but have no interest in selling them) and would like a little age-appropriate bling right now. I'm considering either the OEM CR (refurbished about $1250), SSR Competition, and Volk TE37 .

Your advice and reasoning regarding tires is appreciated, and I've changed my mind and will get max performance summer tires. The S2000 doesn't go out in inclement weather, anyway. It will now be restricted further to warm weather. I will try to get a set of used wheels that I can resell with little loss, but if I can't find any in the next week then will use the OEMs. "Learn to drive and corner it" is ultimately the best advice!

Thanks for the welcome and great advice!
Old 02-28-2019, 08:48 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by S2x10³
Hah! I was perfectly ok with lurking, but I saw your ad for the hardtop and wanted to contact you about it. But in order to PM you by s2ki's policy, I first had to create an account (did it today) and post in a forum (see above). Seems you found me first! Drop me a line when you're interested in selling and I'll take a look. Thanks for the welcome and nice to meet you.
A FYI from the FAQ
As a new guest on the forums, you will have a short time probation period with limited use of the system's features. Private messages (PMs) and profile access are disabled for two weeks to discourage spammers. If you sign up as a member, there is no time restriction.

Anyhow...Welcome
Levi
Old 02-28-2019, 09:35 AM

The reproduction front and rear spoilers are very inexpensive. Paint color matched perfectly. I have the OE front spoiler still in the Honda box while I procrastinate getting all the stone chips professionally removed from the front bumper. The rear is a reproduction and knowing how my car attracts stone chips I probably should have purchased a reproduction for the front as well and just replace as needed. Rear spoiler is held on by 3M mounting tape and has been on at least 3 years. Tried to find the invoice for mine but it no doubt came from Ebay for well under $100.

A friend with a '02 blue S2000 has AP2V1 wheels on his car. They're painted gun metal gray. Look good. Weren't $1200. And no fitment issues whatsoever. S2000 wheel offsets are unique and only a few specific sizes will fit in the wheel wells.

Everyone has a favorite tire brand or type. I prefer Bridgestone and Continental on my cars and have an inexplicable aversion to Goodyear and Michelin. Completely illogical as there are good and mediocre tires across all brands. But in the MAX summer tire segment for the S2000 any differences seem negligible if they exist at all. I've run extreme summer tires in the past but the latest offerings are quite loud.

At least a dozen S2000s are going over to Staunton late March. Some mountain driving is promised. Good chance to see how individual cars. Threr's a current topic running.

-- Chuck
Old 03-01-2019, 09:36 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by S2x10³
Hey Chuck S, thanks for the welcome! I didn't realize the fitting for the OEM trunk net would fit without drilling out the holes -- that's great news as I have no interest in creating holes in the S2000.
The OEM trunk net requires widening the existing holes for the screw grommets. If you do not, they are hard to press in, and if you ever have to remove the trunk liner, the grommet is pinched at the hole, and will likely get cut through. So when you unscrew the net retainers, the section of the grommet holding the threaded brass insert falls into the body, and the grommet needs replaced.

Anyway, you are only expanding each hole by about 1mm. not a big deal.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:49 AM

Been awhile since I installed mine and I don't recall doing any drilling but...

I removed much of the trunk lining earlier this month to install some much brighter LED back-up lights and just unscrewed the T-pieces that hold the net. Nothing came loose and the lil brass nuts remained where they were. All went back without difficulty. Took about as long to type this as the whole process.

-- Chuck
Old 03-01-2019, 06:10 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Been awhile since I installed mine and I don't recall doing any drilling but...

I removed much of the trunk lining earlier this month to install some much brighter LED back-up lights and just unscrewed the T-pieces that hold the net. Nothing came loose and the lil brass nuts remained where they were. All went back without difficulty. Took about as long to type this as the whole process.

-- Chuck
I have no intentions of arguing.

Here are the instructions. Decide which is best for you. But my grommets simply wouldn't fit without drilling.

OEM Cargo Net Installation Instructions

Quick Reply: new-to-me '05 Rio in Washington DC