Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

New member in TX with '02 time capsule

Old 01-08-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member in TX with '02 time capsule

Occasionally, Craigslist pays off. After recently selling my nb Miata track car due to the closure of our local race track (Texas World Speedway), I started looking for something new to occupy my time. An S2k was always an option on my list. So I was on CL at the right time a couple weeks ago when a local Texas A&M professor listed this 2002 one-owner, completely stock, clean title S2000 with just 17k miles on it. Carfax was clean and all VIN tags match. He's driven it so little that the original front tires were still on it. One of the first things he said was, "It'll go to 9000 rpm, but I don't ever get anywhere near that." I'm not sure he even knows what VTEC feels like. He listed it for well under FMV, and I was the first to show up with the cash. Car was in almost-perfect condition. I made up my mind immediately.

Fluids and tires needed prompt attention. New oil and filter, transmission flush with Honda MTF, diff flush with Redline 75w90, coolant flush, brake and clutch flush with ATE Type 200. New Continental Extreme Contact sport all around on OEM 16" wheels. New air filters and floor mats. Wash, touch-up paint, and wax. And she's back on the ground.

My initial impression coming from multiple street and track Miata's is quite positive. Apart from the engine, the car is more stable, confidence inspiring, and comfortable by a long shot, but less toss-able. However, the engine is in a whole different league! I am enjoying life above 8k rpm! The PO didn't know what he was missing.

Here's a few pictures. I look forward to learning more from this forum as I enjoy this new chapter of car ownership.

Freshly washed and waxed... and out for kabobs.

Barely warm-enough for a top down cruise.

Wife is pleased, but concerned about my car-buying addiction.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:06 PM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Great find! I'm sure you are going to love it.
Levi
Old 01-11-2018, 11:26 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 01-12-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! You have a good story and a spectacular looking S2K!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:14 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Looks like one of those nearly nearly unbelievable finds!

Don't forget the cabin air filter. I didn't think mine had ever been changed but a recent check -- and a second filter replacement -- showed me they fill up with dirt quickly. Nice to know the dirt isn't going in the cabin which gets dusty all by itself!

-- Chuck
Old 09-03-2018, 12:25 PM

Other than tires, fluids, and filters my '02 S2K hasn't needed anything in the 9 months since I bought her. In this post, I'll share my one and only mod: installation of Back Yard lowered seat rails purchased off this forum. They provide a small change (~20mm lower) that makes a disproportionate difference for me. Here's my attempt to show the effect of this modification on driving position. The first pic is basically what I would see from the most comfortable driving position I could get on the stock rails. The second is the same after switching to the lowered rails. The tach is now easy to see, and the whole experience is better in the cockpit. The third picture shows the resulting gap b/w the seat base and back with the lowered rails. They maintain stock height of the seat back by only lowering the seat base. Easy mod to do - most of the work is with the seat out of the car meaning you can do it inside the house in the AC!

Dashboard with stock seat rails

Dashboard with lowered rails

Gap b/w seat base and back with lowered rails
Old 09-03-2018, 01:06 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by BlakeJenn
Occasionally, Craigslist pays off.
Gorgeous car. You have good taste. I have the clone of that car. I bought mine two years ago from a lovely older women (80 yo) who bought it new. . It had 8.5 K miles on it. OEM hardtop included.

But, like you, last year I was looking around on CL and I came across an 03 in my preferred color in a nearby state with 17.5 K owned by a wonderful guy - age 71 - who bought it new. He is an enthusiast and he took excellent care of the car. Beyond belief really. Again, it came with a hardtop. It is literally in like new condition in every way. Original front tires (they are toast). I could not resist. I'm storing it until I retire and I'm driving the heck out of my 02 with no regrets. I'll decide what to do when I retire. Probably sell the 02.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by rpg51
Gorgeous car. You have good taste. I have the clone of that car. I bought mine two years ago from a lovely older women (80 yo) who bought it new. . It had 8.5 K miles on it. OEM hardtop included.

But, like you, last year I was looking around on CL and I came across an 03 in my preferred color in a nearby state with 17.5 K owned by a wonderful guy - age 71 - who bought it new. He is an enthusiast and he took excellent care of the car. Beyond belief really. Again, it came with a hardtop. It is literally in like new condition in every way. Original front tires (they are toast). I could not resist. I'm storing it until I retire and I'm driving the heck out of my 02 with no regrets. I'll decide what to do when I retire. Probably sell the 02.
Wow! Sounds like lightning struck twice for you. Nice job! Treat them well and they'll give you many years (even decades) of faithful service. And with prices on the rise, one of them may end up making a nice little retirement bonus for you when it sells!
Old 03-07-2019, 03:21 PM

Enjoyed this car immensely. Learned a lot. Ready for a new owner. Now for sale on BaT.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-honda-s2000-42/