Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Soon to be owner, coming from z06/mr2 spyder

Old 06-24-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be owner, coming from z06/mr2 spyder

Hey folks,

I am about 2 months away from picking up an AP1 S2000 (2002 MY hopefully).

I currently have a C5 z06, and I owned an MR2 Spyder before that.

Personal histories aside, I am looking to get into an S2000 - I am looking for a very visceral, lotus-elise like ride and handling.

So my question begins here - what is it like in relation to an MR2 spyder? I know the interior is nicer, the acceleration much better, and the chassis much stiffer.

But to me, the MR2 Spyder was hardly a sports car. It didn't get my blood boiling as I started the engine. The engine was obviously a corolla engine (not responsive, slow to rev, sounded like an appliance), and the car still exhibited a degree of body roll and nose dive, especially considering it was a mid engine. The handling was good, as direction changes happened fluidly thanks to the mid engine placement. To me, that was the ONLY thing sporty about the car. But the rest, I found bland and unexciting. The steering felt overboosted, and much too light to feel any sort of connection to the car and road.

So, I did a search and spent hours reading about what S2k owners thought about the MR-S. Some said the handling was similar, if not better. Some say it's not even in the same class, and the S2000 creams it in every category.

If any of you can describe to me, the S2000 experience, and how visceral/raw the ride is compared to an MR2, I'd really appreciate it. My MR2 had a few mods (koni SAs all around, anti-flex tunnel plate, rollbar, etc), and its stil felt nowhere near the sportiness of an elise. I know the S2000 won't be quite as sporty as an elise either, but I hope its not on the same level as an MR2!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome Kurtong!

I'm afraid anything other than an Elise may be a disappointment...the s2k is no Elise.

Compared to the MR2-S, the s2k feels heavier...which it is by 600lbs. The MR2-S feels much more nimble.

The s2k engine is more powerful and despite the extra weight, the s2k is quicker. But if you own or owned a C5 Z06, the s2k is going to feel anemic. The s2k motor will probably disappoint you when out of VTEC...it only comes alive when in VTEC...and it is much more thrilling than any Toyota motor in lift that I've ever felt.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:40 PM

Thanks for your input and welcome, negcamber! I appreciate your time and insight

I do realize the f20c won't feel anything like a z06 ls6, but I am aware of that I used to be a big torque junkie, but as I grow older, I realize that it is much more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow.

Not to say the s2000 is slow though - it is plenty fast for me! And I feel it has much more daily useable fun, where I can rev up the motor and enjoy a bit of acceleration without breaking laws. The z06 is idling away at 1500rpms every day driving to work, and it is, well, a bit boring. By the time I wind it out in 1st gear, I'm already at 45mph and about 2 seconds from coasting to 60mph - not too fun when you're paranoid about cops!

I'm actually selling the z06 in a bit - it is a great track car, but I am starting to value fun and useability more than all out brute power. I am not a track junky (only made it out once to thunderhill last year), so the z06 really is a waste on me, and is only good for bragging rights and street races (both which I really don't care about).

And yeah, I realize no car will really compare to an elise, but if it can come close, it is definitely better than nothing

What *really* spoiled the z06 for me though, was driving a friend's 1991 NSX. The motor, again, was anemic when out of vtec, but I liked that. I loved how smooth and civil the motor was, and I could give it some gas and accelerate without causing the engine to roar and spin the tires. It just felt more useable, and the steering? No contest - my z06 felt like a dead old pot of mashed potatoes...

I'm hoping the s2k can be a good inbetween car, whether I get the elise or nsx in the future. I have yet to drive an s2k though, but I'm pretty sure (from all the reading i've been doing), that it is the right car for me. Hope you guys can confirm/correct this for me
Old 06-24-2008, 05:28 PM

I don't have much experience but I would put the S2000 up with anything in its class and a lot of other cars as far as fun. The car just screams to be driven to the limit.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 PM

Welcome, those are some amazing pics of the z06 you have on flickr. As for the experience, I feel like your descriptions are in the general area, but you have GOT to test drive an S. It was the biggest deciding factor to me.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:40 AM
hue

man, if u lived close to me i'd swap cars with you for a week nice looking Z06
Old 06-28-2008, 08:35 PM

In relation to the MR-S (BTW I'm a former Spyder owner too ) the only similarities between the two is that they are both two seat convertibles. IMHO the S is a far superior sports car. Now don't get me wrong the MR-S is a very capable machine with the correct bracing, 2ZZ swap, K-Series, or FI. But after all is said and done I would have rather put that amount of money into an S .
Old 06-28-2008, 08:57 PM

I come from driving a high horsepower 2600lb rx7 and to be honest I love the s2000... the rx7 is absolutely amazing in the turns, but at the same time the slower s2000 still feels just as amazing... I sat in an s2000 when I was 15 and thought it fit liked a glove, after driving a few sport cars I still think the s2000 fits like a glove more then the others.... It might not be as fast as my rx7 but its still just as fun.. and more reliable
Old 06-28-2008, 09:37 PM

Thanks for all the kind words and insight, everyone! The more I read about this little car, the more I am sure that it is the car for me. I cannot wait to get into an S2000!! I am also very glad to hear it is nothing like the MR-S, because as "fun" as that car was, it was about as sporty as rosie 'o donnell with a badminton raquet.

GT_NFR: I've seen your sig banner befor, and I still crack up everytime I see it. It's from Hot Rod, right?

FDfranklin: 330rwhp on a 2600lbs car, holy crap! That car must haul ass!

And PS - anyone near silicon valley want to give me a ride in their S2000?
Old 06-29-2008, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want a c6 z06!

I dunno what the mr2 is like but I think an 02-03 car is a good decision