Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

STI owner looking to convert to an S2000

Old 08-10-2010, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome aboard!! this is Blue. i was at buttonwillow that weekend as well. i'm the same "-outkast-" that posts in your thread over at iwsti
Old 08-10-2010, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i knew you'd like it. welcome to the club! i'm looking forward to our next track day. the s is addicting.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome
Old 08-10-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by e3opian,Aug 9 2010, 04:38 PM
I have a 2003 AP1 and a new 2010 STi Special Edition. I can't bare to get rid of the S2000, but I drive an hour to work each way and it just wasn't the right car for that any more.
Dont get rid of the AP1. Get rid of your job and find a new one closer.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:35 PM

put coils on the STI. The stock suspension isnt that great on the STI, considering the super short stroke on the rear and the soft suspension.

And your biggest problem. The POS RCE spring.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:26 PM

nice !!! totally agree with you

i sold MY04 for a 05 sti.. a month later, I sold the Sti and have been looking to get back in a s2k ever since.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by cfap2,Aug 10 2010, 12:35 PM
put coils on the STI. The stock suspension isnt that great on the STI, considering the super short stroke on the rear and the soft suspension.

I didn't want to put coilovers on the STI because I wanted to maintain the street driveability of the car. It's the car I take on long road trips to Mammoth for snowboarding (5 hours each way) so coilovers won't cut it.

I decided if I want to have a dedicated track car, I might as well get something that's already good on the track out the box.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cfap2,Aug 10 2010, 04:35 PM

KW Race Comp on my STi & it still felt like a pig!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted this a while ago after getting my stock 2010 WRX. I Love the car, great utility car, really fast, ok handling. I think you said it best though, it's a much more disconnected feel then the s2k. Obviously an STI is going to be a bit more connected, but overall I think that's what comes with an AWD big car. That's why I was pissed at my friend when he traded his Exige s240 for a GTR.

Anyhow here was my comparison of my 2010 wrx vs my turbo s2k:

For those who may care I thought it might be interesting to write a little review of the differences between the 3rd Gen 2010 WRX vs. a turbo AP1 S2000. I’ve been moving back and forth between the two cars on a daily basis and it’s quite remarkable how the two achieve great performance but in very different ways. Obviously the boosted AP1 is on another level of performance being that it’s 400+HP 290tq and lowered with super aggressive tires. However at the same time the WRX is no chump. Weighing in just 400lbs more than the WRX and turning about 265+hp with an all wheel drive system it gets going pretty quickly and can handle like it’s on rails.

So what are the differences? In a sentence the S2000 is like a lethal weapon ready to give your heart rate a serious boost, while the WRX is more like smooth knife cutting through butter. Let’s start with the acceleration.

While both have very linear power curves, the total amount of raw power in the S2000 is not usable unless on a highway straightaway, so flooring it on back country roads is a very infrequent activity. At the same time however, using just quarter throttle coming out of a turn can help produce sweaty palms. The WRX’s acceleration under WOT is a pleasure as you can feel the boost peak at 15psi and the car produces a very satisfying force that pulls all the way through redline. On the highway the S2000 has abilities comparable to a supermodel naked in your bed; that much acceleration in such a small car is simply out of this world. Also, at normal highway driving it’s very nice to be able to pass other cars with very little throttle in 6th gear. Comparably the WRX has a practical amount of power that allows you to move along the highway at a much faster pace than most other cars.

On the handling front the WRX is also in another ballpark then the S2000, but it still is no slop in the turns. Obviously its big brother the WRX STI with a completely revised suspension and diff system would be a better comparison but the WRX was chosen as it’s a more practical daily driver. Still in the back road turns the WRX with its a-symetrical AWD system can rip through the turns in a confidence inspiring point and shoot manner. Comparatively the S2000 with its lighter body, wide stance, sticky tires, and RWD system can eat through turns in a way that very few other cars can. The RWD push through the turn allows you to enter the apex much faster and later then the WRX. Ultimately ripping through the turns in the S2000 is equal in comparison to its WOT feeling on the highway.

The area that the WRX clearly wins is in daily driving practicality and comfort. With a much softer suspension, larger cabin room, rear seats, large hatch and rear folding seats the WRX is a pleasure to take to the supermarket. The S2000 however does have ample trunk space, a golf bag or two can be squeezed in there, and a large grocery shopping worth of bags can too. The question is do you want to deal with feeling every little bump in the road when you go to get your groceries? As I type this I actually just got back from going to the grocery store in the S2000, and it was a thrilling experience having the top down in late November in New York.

There certainly other aspects that the cars can be compared on but I can leave those for a part two. In the end the differences are pretty great but both cars have great characteristics and perform like champs!
Old 08-11-2010, 06:45 AM

I like both car as well. People thought my STi w/ turboback was a Harley in alleyways

Quick Reply: STI owner looking to convert to an S2000