Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Trading in my '16 miata for..

Old 10-08-2016, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading in my '16 miata for..

An S2000 of course

Before purchasing my 2016 (1.5L) miata I was torn between that and an S2000.
In terms of looks for me they are pretty equal. Maybe I like the miata just a little more.

What made me choose the miata over the S2000 was that I first intended to use this car as a daily driver.
It has better fuel economy, is apparantly more fun at lower speeds (never driven an s2000 just read this everywhere so don't bash me)
More reliable since it is brand new and it came with a few years waranty and of course the maintenance is a bit cheaper, etc.

Now I should tell you I'm into this whole stance thing. My miata is on air suspension with wide wheels and stretched tires. Because of the airsuspension it is also no problem to daily drive this.
But just recently I got pulled over by the police and since air suspension is illegal where I live I had to put my car back to stock and show it to them a few days later. Because I don't want to do this every time and also because next time the consequences will be much more severe, I decided to buy myself a daily "beater" 2004 civic hatch and only use the miata in the summer during the weekends and for car meets.

Because this now is a summer weekends funcar only, the S2000 is starting to make a lot more sence to me..
The S2000 is a much more serious sportscar. It also has this special feeling about it that the miata just doesn't.
I also think it's a shame the miata will be depreciating a lot while just standing in the garage for the most time.. (while dailying it also but then I could live with it because I would actually use it a lot)
The S2000, because it is already becoming somewhat of a classic, will keep it's value much better especially when driving so little miles/year.
I'm hoping to get around 24000€ for my miata which will buy me a very clean and fairly low mileage '06 S2000.

Feel free to share your thoughts about this matter.. I'm not yet fully decided.

I already found one for sale so here is my first question This one is completely stock except for an aftermarked airfilter/induction kit.
Is it any good performance wise?
Will it enhance the nice induction noise or reduce it since it is further away from the cabin?
All in all is it a good mod or should I look for one that has the stock air box?

And as a bonus a pic of my miata

Old 10-11-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Would you be stancing the Honda? That would hurt the value of the vehicle.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please oh please oh please don't stance the s2k.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:20 PM

I considered the MX5 ND, but on a test drive it just felt ordinary to me.
I say go with the S2000.

But please please please don't stance it.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:50 PM

In all seriousness though, the long ram air filters tend to be quieter for the reason you mentioned that its further away. Performance wise you'll probably see 2-3bhp increase at the most, noise still better than stock. Short rams like the K&N FIPK make the best sound, although its quite expensive.

I'd say if the rest of the car looks neat, then go for it. Air filters are easy to replace and simple to source back to standard if needed.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:53 PM

I'm not sure yet.. Since the S2000 is a bit more serious I was considering coilovers and just a mild drop.

However I don't think stancing it (on airsuspension!) would really hurt the value of the vehicle since you won't be scraping or damaging the fenders while driving.. it's only this low when parked. Then when it's time to sell I'd just put it back to stock and nobody would notice just like I did with the mx5. Now with coilovers this is another story
Old 10-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Yves_Rogiers
I'm not sure yet.. Since the S2000 is a bit more serious I was considering coilovers and just a mild drop.

However I don't think stancing it (on airsuspension!) would really hurt the value of the vehicle since you won't be scraping or damaging the fenders while driving.. it's only this low when parked. Then when it's time to sell I'd just put it back to stock and nobody would notice just like I did with the mx5. Now with coilovers this is another story
Keep your Miata, not a worthy owner yet.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Yves_Rogiers

coilovers will serve you better if you decide to drive the s2000 on a track or autocross.
Old 10-12-2016, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dznuk90
In all seriousness though, the long ram air filters tend to be quieter for the reason you mentioned that its further away. Performance wise you'll probably see 2-3bhp increase at the most, noise still better than stock. Short rams like the K&N FIPK make the best sound, although its quite expensive.I'd say if the rest of the car looks neat, then go for it. Air filters are easy to replace and simple to source back to standard if needed.
Thanks! everything I needed to know.

Originally Posted by Hfreak
Originally Posted by Yves_Rogiers' timestamp='1476219237' post='24081795
I'm not sure yet.. Since the S2000 is a bit more serious I was considering coilovers and just a mild drop.However I don't think stancing it (on airsuspension!) would really hurt the value of the vehicle since you won't be scraping or damaging the fenders while driving.. it's only this low when parked. Then when it's time to sell I'd just put it back to stock and nobody would notice just like I did with the mx5. Now with coilovers this is another story
Keep your Miata, not a worthy owner yet.
Sorry but your comment doesn't make any sense. I'd say I'm more worthy because I know for a fact that I'm keeping the engine and car in better condition than some of you who track or auto-x it. It's just the way you look at it
Old 10-14-2016, 05:13 AM

I have driven the ND MX-5 1.5l. It was a big disappointment for me after all positive reviews I heard.
Although I like how it looks, helemaal die van jou , I would never buy it because compared to the S2000, it is noisy on the highway, cramped and feels slow (the linear acceleration vs VTEC of S2000).

Good luck with your search. If you buy one, you can show it to me next year when I return to Belgium.

Quick Reply: Trading in my '16 miata for..