JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Backyard Low mount Seat Rail install: MY06

Old 10-17-2006, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backyard Low mount Seat Rail install: MY06

One of the very few gripes that I have (had) with the S2k is that being 6'3", I felt a bit like Shaq sitting in that Ferrari... for those of you that saw that pic years ago. Well anyway, when learned that there was a seatrail that lowered the factory seating position, I was extremely interested.

Thanks again to Giff and everyone at Bulletproof Automotive, contact them for info on getting your own Backyard Seat Rail!

First of all the Backyard seat rail is a very nice piece and seems very well designed. The install is very straight forward and uses about half of the stock hardware, the rest is provided with the kit. No surprises so far.

As many other S2k owners have already installed this item up to MY05, the only real question was how will it work with the MY06? Is there clearance? What kind of hardware is under the seat that runs this network of weight and position sensors? Well I was convinced there was numerous boxes, plugs and wires... but fortunately there isn't.

Name:  StockRail_BottomView_MOD2.jpg
Views: 4261
Size:  73.8 KB

Item 1: This is the weight/position sensor. It seems to be magnetic because the wire just plugs into it and all I can see is a plastic case with a small metal disc inside, resembling a thick watch battery. So maybe when you sit in the seat, a corresponding sensor moves around in proximity to our sensor in question relaying position info? Thats my educated guess anyway.

Item 2: Seatbelt ON/OFF sensor plug

Here are a couple more pics of the sensor:

Name:  StockRail_weightSensor_MOD.jpg
Views: 2307
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  Weight_Sensor.jpg
Views: 2270
Size:  49.6 KB

After installing the rails, I discovered that most of the lowering is achieved in simply a lower seat bottom position. The Seat backing, which mounts seperately is barely lowered at all, if any. Once assembled I took a quick look at our resulting clearance:

Name:  BottomClearance_MOD.jpg
Views: 2270
Size:  46.4 KB

At first inspection I only thought one thing. NO WAY is this going to clear. But after installing into the car it seems that the rails slide the seat diagonally and is higher the farther forward the seat. So once sitting in the seat I pulled the slider lever and pushed back as far as it would go. The seat bottom DOES make contact with the carpet floor, however the seat is able to make it pretty much all the way back. I don't know if this occurs in the 05 and earlier cars, but all in all, the Backyard Seat Rail DOES work in the MY06 S2k.

NOTES and Concerns:

SRS Sensor-
There is no mounting point for the SRS sensor on the Backyard rail. Once I installed the seat and plugged in the SRS sensor, I just let it lie in the floor under my feet. Turned key to POS II and the SRS light remained on after inital dash sequence. I started the car and got the same result. Turned off the car, tossed the sensor back under the seat placing it in the general area to where it was mounted on the stock seat and started the car, this resulted in no SRS light at all. Nor since I've installed the seat. That pretty much concludes that experiment really... I don't know if it has to be in exactly the right position or just close... but it keeps the light off at least and honestly thats good enough for me at this point. I assume that since the light is off, the car thinks things are ok, and the airbag will function. I may look into the "drill a hole and ziptie" option in the future.

Seating Position-
Its night and DAY!!! I just love it, the first drive out it felt like a different car to me, I 'm now actually sitting IN the car, I felt really high before but got used to it, but now... it feels just right. I'd say at LEAST an inch lower for sure. And the Lumbar support is definitely sitting higher in my back too. I can't wait for the next trackday!

Additional Pictures:

Its a nice looking piece of hardware, much better quality than other rails I've seen.
Name:  Rail_Installed_Bottom.jpg
Views: 2982
Size:  72.4 KB

Just put it back together the way you took it apart, using supplied nuts/bolts when needed.
Name:  Rail_Half_install.jpg
Views: 2107
Size:  42.3 KB

Like I said before, I don't think it lowers the seat back much, this pic may reflect MINOR lowering, but also could be because the seat is forward and angled back some.
Name:  Height_Compare.jpg
Views: 2481
Size:  43.4 KB
Old 10-17-2006, 06:38 PM
Banned

great writeup!!!

dare i use this opportunity to post a link?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=424021

oh yes i dare...
Old 10-17-2006, 10:03 PM

sounds great, i am interested in these but being 5'8" i feel like i won't be able to see over the steering wheel.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

any before and after pics of a person on the old seat and on the new seat rails? So we can see better how much lower it is?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by djdorifto,Oct 19 2006, 09:58 AM
any before and after pics of a person on the old seat and on the new seat rails? So we can see better how much lower it is?
Good thought... my buddy here at work has an S with stock seat rails so I'll try to get a comparo with good reference for both seats.

... To Be Continued...
Old 10-20-2006, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking at this piece for a while too... I'm 6'3 too and I think I would be much more comfortable if the seat was an inch lower. If you don't mind, next time you make it out to the Torrance Starbucks meet, I'd love to check it out
Old 10-20-2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by diabolus2k,Oct 20 2006, 01:53 PM
I've been looking at this piece for a while too... I'm 6'3 too and I think I would be much more comfortable if the seat was an inch lower. If you don't mind, next time you make it out to the Torrance Starbucks meet, I'd love to check it out
Absolutely. I missed it lastnight working late, but I'll try to make the next one for sure.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:23 AM

Sorry if I'm a little confused but I was wondering if you thought it was possible that if god forbid you were to get into an accident and the loose sensor shifted position upon hard braking and disabled the airbags prior to collision. Is there room to weld some sort of mounting bracket on the new rail for this sensor. I'm interested in this product also. Thanks
Old 10-24-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by MoreCowbell,Oct 21 2006, 11:23 AM
Sorry if I'm a little confused but I was wondering if you thought it was possible that if god forbid you were to get into an accident and the loose sensor shifted position upon hard braking and disabled the airbags prior to collision. Is there room to weld some sort of mounting bracket on the new rail for this sensor. I'm interested in this product also. Thanks
Well. I'm not convinced that the movement of the sensor will "disable" the airbag all together... but I am aware that it most likely isn't functioning at its full potential. Welding would be ideal... ziptie would possibly be acceptable.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:09 PM

Does the seat look out of place, meaning where the bottom seat and back section meet, is there a gap. If you get a chance please take some more pics.

Im 6'4 and this will be a must if I get one. I think you are the only one to actually DO this. Your the man!
-nick

Quick Reply: Backyard Low mount Seat Rail install: MY06