JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Spoon cooling mods for spoon ECU needed?

Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Spoon cooling mods for spoon ECU needed?

Okay im about to get a second hand spoon ECU, im only running a testpipe, modified airbox (spoon mod, and intake to the LHS) and maybe in the future a megan manifold nothing else, my car has covered 100k now. I havent had any solid replys on the UK forum, so im hoping my friends on the other side of the pond can help . BTW temps in uk rarely go above 30c degrees and below -3c where i live.

Its fine saying spoon uses this mods so get them but bear with me...

I was sourcing the cooling mods (Spoon rad cap, thermostat and fan switch), when i had a thought...

Because my car is a daily driver (mostly 30min journeys, very rare highway drives), and i never take it on the track and dont push it not that often and if i do its only for short periods of time, my logic is that the cooling mods might have a decremental effect and in theory induce engine wear, you can flame me if you want but i'd rather be put right biggrin.gif...

There is an optimum temp operating level with engines, with the cooling mods it kicks in at 65c as opposed to stock @ 80c (IIRC), that means it will never get upto optimum temperature which is a safe value, this could also be a problem at very low tempeture in winter but doubtfull in UK.

I think when spoon created these, It is meant for a track where the car is under extreme heat and heavy loads for extended periods which in turn gets hot and you need the cooling mods my scenario is different.

I dont claim to be an expert, but i believe theres some logic in my argument.

Also remember than i dont plan to add the spoon mods like manifold and exhaust, though i do have other minor mods. My question should i fit them or not, if i want to not effect the longetvity of the car?

Also mugen cooling mods seem to operate at different temps.

Fire away biggrin.gif thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 10:24 PM

no one? wow
Old 08-27-2008, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. The cooling mods don't really increase cooling capacity. They just turn the cooling system on earlier and allow higher pressure in the cooling system in order to maintain efficiency at high temps. If you don't push your car there is little need for these mods.

For those who track our cars these mods help keep the temps lower for longer. Once at operating temp the 1.3 bar is the only mod still in effect. The fan switch and thermostat have long since opened and would also be open with the stock parts.

I would be interested to hear any different perspective.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:02 AM

Thank you, really appreciated.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally I would just skip that ECU entirely
Old 08-30-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deathsled,Aug 29 2008, 04:39 PM
personally I would just skip that ECU entirely
Whats your reasoning? I thought I remember reading that the Spoon ECU's simply raise the rev limiter and maybe increase timing a bit? Its not really a different tune... and maybe eliminates the need for the second o2 sensor?

I don't know for sure, someone has to have one here...
Old 08-30-2008, 04:38 PM

I believe the Spoon ECU alters the timing slightly, and fueling slightly its just a modified one of the stock ECU which i like.

It aparently makes it smoother more enjoyable drive, elimaiting flat spots, its not a massive bhp gainer.

No one can tell me if i really need the cooling mods though based on my scneario.