JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

The Tuner Market is Dead

Old 09-17-2007, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know as a consumer i am glad there are cheaper alternatives. these Japanese parts cost way too much...

A mugen cf hardtop in Japan sells for $4900.
http://www.mugen-power.com/street/s2000/part/aero.html

kingmotorsports a mugen distributor sells it for $5950
http://www.kingmotorsports.com/category.aspx?cat=8

bulletproof sells it for $5650
http://bulletproofautomotive.com/cat...tail.php?ID=44

I am sure in japan if you go through a mugen distributor you can get the hardtop at a cheaper price. I am thinking $4400, 10% off retail....nobody in the usa pays full retail for parts, we dont pay retail for a hks exhaust so there is no reason to pay full retail for a japanese part in japan. We actually pay 20% off retail for an hks exhaust.

Of course if we get the hardtop here in the usa, then we have to pay for the shipping and customs fee but i think its unfair how we have to pay full japanese retail plus shipping and customs fee.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pitstops,Sep 17 2007, 05:03 PM
you know as a consumer i am glad there are cheaper alternatives. these Japanese parts cost way too much...

I am sure in japan if you go through a mugen distributor you can get the hardtop at a cheaper price. I am thinking $4400, 10% off retail....nobody in the usa pays full retail for parts, we dont pay retail for a hks exhaust so there is no reason to pay full retail for a japanese part in japan. We actually pay 20% off retail for an hks exhaust.

Of course if we get the hardtop here in the usa, then we have to pay for the shipping and customs fee but i think its unfair how we have to pay full japanese retail plus shipping and customs fee.
Many times it is deffinently unfair for the consumer to be paying full pop and then some on parts which of course in Japan would be less expensive. The problem is in the shipping, customs, and other charges, as well as the time and effort vendors take to actually bring the product into the US. However, going through an authorized us distributor would deffinently drop a lot of the costs. The reason why a lot of products are so hard to get is because there are no official us distributors because there is not a high enough demand for one. This in turn causes problems because grey marketers fill in the gap, bring in items themselves instead of going through a distributor, and end up charging consumers a lot less than actual vendors due, thus nullifying the need for a vendor to actually want to carry that product, making the product harder and more unlikely for them to bring in because it would end up losing them money.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:25 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE=zbrewha863,Sep 17 2007, 02:32 PM]

Second, the exhaust is not identical because (a) I really doubt your muffler shop has an engineer that can make a Helmholtz resonator like Amuse has on their exhaust and (b) your exhaust is stainless, not titanium.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Sep 15 2007, 12:48 PM
i guess what im trying to say is that the real JDM is what works, not what brand it is. some of us get so caught up in weather something is Js or AMUSE or whatever. i think a great example is the BERK and Megan header. both work great.
You're practically daring me to put my stock header on and head to Church this weekend.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by pitstops,Sep 17 2007, 05:03 PM

You are looking at only shipping cost and not the cost of capital to import and carry the item in inventory, the cost of real estate here is the US and the cost of labor (not including profit) to make it all happen. Plus, all that above activity needs some profit to justify the effort. The problem gets compounded by having 15 shops selling XYZ parts so that no economy of scale can be produced.

Now King does have that scale and I think their prices on Mugen parts may be a little out wack, but maybe they would rather sell one hardtop and make $1000 profit than sell three and make a $1000 profit. I wouldn't blame them given the costs of moving and storing the part.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carrera4,Sep 17 2007, 06:48 PM
You're practically daring me to put my stock header on and head to Church this weekend.
try it. i made 227 to the tires on a mustang with the stock header in place, it actually does a helluva job. IF i ever ditched it, itd be for one of Johns headers.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum,Sep 17 2007, 04:25 PM

Yeah i'd have to agree that Amuse's quality doesn't SEEM too top notch to me. Although i haven't seen one in person, even from pictures, there are a few things that stand out. The titanium end cap on the muffler on one of the Amuse exhausts that a member is selling has an orange peel effect, which is not a good sign of quality. Also, i'm not sure if they used thin Ti to make it as light as possible, but using thicker Ti would have allowed them to bend the Ti (yes Ti is bendable), eliminating a lot of the welds (see Greddy Ti exhausts for reference). I'm assuming that since there are so many welds, that the Ti is pretty thin.

That's my 2 cents on amuse Ti systems.
You are right, titanium can be bent -- it is just a very bad idea for exhausts, unless you use thick titanium, which the Amuse doesn't do because they like to keep it light and use high-quality titanium, rather than Greddy who uses low-quality titanium. When you're talking about material that costs upwards of $15/lb to make, let alone purchase to use in the exhausts, you can easily see how the price jumps. Say an Amuse dual is 20lbs ... 20lbs of the highest-quality titanium is going to cost them upwards of $900 (if you don't include liquid metal and such) just to purchase the raw material.

It is absolutely retarded to say "I'm not impressed with Amuse" and then say "I've never actually seen one of their products in person." You can't judge something that you have absolutely no experience in -- and you never know what that member did to the exhaust to make it do that. I have seen 3 Amuse exhausts in person (like, held them in my hand), and several more at shows (100s online) and I have never seen one that looks less than top notch -- anyone who has experience will tell you the same. On top of that, what I said was that they have the best welds, something you apparently have not seen and did not even address ... ?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:04 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE=zbrewha863,Sep 17 2007, 07:10 PM] You are right, titanium can be bent -- it is just a very bad idea for exhausts, unless you use thick titanium, which the Amuse doesn't do because they like to keep it light and use high-quality titanium, rather than Greddy who uses low-quality titanium.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel L,Sep 12 2007, 01:19 PM
Raleigh? You're an hour from VIR.. that's about as convenient as it gets.
Really? I thought it was much further than that...
Old 09-17-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Lum,Sep 17 2007, 08:04 PM
yes i say im not impressed b/c even from the pictures, i can see the orange peel effect.
Pardon my ignorance, but why is the orange peel effect not a sign of quality? It just reminds me of factory clear coat.

Quick Reply: The Tuner Market is Dead