JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

The Tuner Market is Dead

Old 09-18-2007, 10:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by J's Racing,Sep 18 2007, 08:59 PM
J's at least noticed an issue on the older exhausts, and fixed it in the FX series ones.
Yeah, too bad I had an older one

I heard somewhere that Amuse had this problem w/ their early titainium resonators as well, and that they have since fixed the problem too.

for J's Racing's dedication though, the older 60rs I used to have also used to rattle on the rear lower brace, I heard that they also fixed that problem when the came out with the "FX" series.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J's Racing,Sep 18 2007, 08:59 PM
J's at least noticed an issue on the older exhausts, and fixed it in the FX series ones.
Pretty hard not to notice a broken resonator It was wise of them to fix this problem on the new FX models, its hard to sell rattle-prone exhausts. Time will tell if the FX resonator is more durable. Too bad for all those who bought 60RS..... point is even "quality" companies have issues. There's no denying J's is a top-notch manufacturer
Old 09-19-2007, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The exhaust issue was common with Ti exhausts. I think it was mostly due to the fact the resonator was not made from Ti so when they were welded into the exhausts (usually only on one side) the welds would seperate do to vibration/heat.

I know other than the two manufactures listed above that JIC had that problem and the old Magnaflow Ti's had that issue (I think they were made by the same people that produce JIC's) and probably most of the companies that offered early generations of Ti exhaust.

I dont believe it was an issue of bad craftsmanship just not enough product testing or R&D.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by cuonice,Sep 18 2007, 11:43 PM
True, but what is "quality"? Is quality the grade of the materials? The construction? Or is it simply whatever works?

If two items reliably accomplish the same purpose, are they both quality even if one may use a cheaper material, or is mass produced, or a replica?

I think quality is a subjective term.

And whoever made the comment about Greddy (trust) using "cheap" titanium...... lets talk about the resonator on the J's 60RS
I think Quality is in both construction and materials, processes used to produce high grade materials need high grade machinery to properly construct them. Even high quality processes can put out bad quality parts if not properly maintained and proper quality checks have been ensued. For example DC claims to make a quality universal muffler from stainless steel that is laser welded. Well it fell apart after about a month. Turns out the laser weld holding the tip on was not properly set in place and only welded one side on part of the tip.

Price is subjectable for sure, you can buy a great part made of high quality materials that works just as good as a top notch part made of higher quality materials. For me I'll buy the one thats cheaper that does the same job and also has quality, or is just dependable to do its job consistently. If I could buy either a ASM CF intake or a J's Tsuchinoko intake for half the price of the ASM I'd go with J's. AEM does the job for now. lol If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't have bought the BDL TB, I would have went with a J's 70mm. Sometimes its trial and error.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by neveronlines2k,Sep 19 2007, 09:15 AM
The exhaust issue was common with Ti exhausts. I think it was mostly due to the fact the resonator was not made from Ti so when they were welded into the exhausts (usually only on one side) the welds would seperate do to vibration/heat.

I know other than the two manufactures listed above that JIC had that problem and the old Magnaflow Ti's had that issue (I think they were made by the same people that produce JIC's) and probably most of the companies that offered early generations of Ti exhaust.

I dont believe it was an issue of bad craftsmanship just not enough product testing or R&D.
That's weird, my J's 60RS resonator definately looked to be titanium, down to the burns on either end of it. It was also definately welded onto both sides of the piping, and the welds were still intact -- there was something rattling around inside the resonator.

The rumor I heard was that titanium gets much hotter than stainless steel does, and the companies didn't take that into account when determining the packing material that went inside the resonators; the packing material got too hot and broke down, hence the rattling. Just a rumor I heard though. . . .
Old 09-19-2007, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by zbrewha863,Sep 19 2007, 12:30 PM
That's weird, my J's 60RS resonator definately looked to be titanium, down to the burns on either end of it. It was also definately welded onto both sides of the piping, and the welds were still intact -- there was something rattling around inside the resonator.

The rumor I heard was that titanium gets much hotter than stainless steel does, and the companies didn't take that into account when determining the packing material that went inside the resonators; the packing material got too hot and broke down, hence the rattling. Just a rumor I heard though. . . .
Maybe there were 2 seperate issues with the same symptoms, I talked to a few reps from different companies and that was the explanation from them (none from J's or Amuse though). Since the symptoms are the same I figured it would have the same source, Maybe not though

The reps I spoke with said the resonator was non Ti (the internal packing section of the resonator not the outside piping) and they were seeing the welds breaking off inside the exhaust because the two materials did not bond together well. The rattling sound heard was the resonator bouncing around inside the piping.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:26 PM

Oh ok, yeah I agree that's what I heard as well. I thought you were saying the external piping was not Ti on the resonator, and that the external welds were breaking ... that makes much more sense
Old 09-19-2007, 01:50 PM

That was my fault I did not make it clear as to what I was talking about in the earlier post
Old 09-19-2007, 06:04 PM

Wow i wonder if J's outsourced that exhaust manufacture. Why would anyone try to spot weld two different types of metal together.... as much as it cost its not like $50 more would make a big difference.

I also wonder if T1R planned to avoid this whole situation by leaving the resonator out of their 70mm Ti. sounds like poo to me haha.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:50 PM

i read the first few posts -
this is just an exerpt from the OP - im not goingh to disect this, this is just my opinion and nothing else.

FWIW, I agree with Endless ... the "tuner" market in the USA is basically a price war where very few consumers actually (1) appreciate what goes into the products, and the quality that comes out and (2) has enough money or is willing to save money for enough time (sometimes years) in order to afford top-tier products

The points stated are all GREAT points - but the bottom line is ----> what age demographic is the aftermarket/tuner seeking? The older 30year olds that have established themselves in the workforce and have the buying power to back that? or the late teens to late 20 year olds still in school, deciding which path to take, living paycheck to paycheck? ( this is NOT a debate on a particular age group )

the market is "too" saturated. Too many " tuners", too many "speed shops"....too many so called "JDM" parts..the list goes on. The scene is not dead, this is CAPITALISM at it's FINEST. ( yes, this is what it's all about - the almighty dollar ) It's sad - I'm not trying to start an argument, but as a consumer ( as we all are , and im talking in general, not the s2k community ) this is what we hope for. The ability to have choices amongst a certain product, with each mfgr. enticing us w/ a lower price and just as good of a quality item.

I'm sorry to say, but the whole "JDM" craze is just that - a fad. A craze if you will. Back in the days (im 30 now ) to even get something ( aftermarket ) it HAD to be from Japan ( not really, @ that time, DCsports, RS Akimoto. GUDE ) now adays, everyone WANTS it to be japanese. Big difference to me.
I know this is going to "encite a riot"... but once again, this is just my personal opinion, which i chose to share in a oublic forum.

Quick Reply: The Tuner Market is Dead