Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2016 Track Junkie Thread!

Old 01-12-2016, 12:52 PM
Community Organizer

Received 659 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by goldenfri' timestamp='1452614370' post='23850198
Yes, sadly I really am going to this year. I really love it, I just don't drive enough to justify keeping it on my 1-car garage and it's way too nice for the track. I can't bring myself to put a roll bar in it.

My plans are, buy and install a roll bar, figure out a catch can system that works, and maybe install some new brakes, then I am good to go. I would prefer an AP2, but might just go with the AP1 I already have... because I already have it.
Ya that makes a lot of sense. Regarding the catch can system, there's a sticky at the top of the R&C forum that seems to work. Basically it's just modifying the baffle plate in the valve cover. The problem is it's a giant pita as you have to remove it and then re-attach it by drilling and tapping holes. I'm going to yank my VC one of these days and see if there's any way to clean behind the baffle plate w/o removing it. I'm rocking a cheap Moroso can vented to atmosphere for the can.

Granted I've only done one weekend w/ the Stoptech kit, I gotta say it's night and day compared to the stock brakes and definitely pays for itself after a year or two if you track a good amount.

AP2's are def better. , but if you got an AP1 already it's probably hard to justify selling and rebuying unless you find an AP2 for a good deal.
Yea that oil system "fix" looked like a huge PITA... so I wasn't excited about trying it.

What moroso can are you running? is it easily drainable? I got a ton of blow by in 9 at summit when I took my AP1 there, so I"m not doing that again until I get something set up.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would be good to see you out Jim. Plus any new people, the scene died off a bit with the ol S2000.

Dates updated soon, I actually work Mike
Old 01-12-2016, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by goldenfri' timestamp='1452612719' post='23850168
Nice, my plan this year is to sell one or more cars and build a track S2000 again, so hopefully I can get out there this year.
Awesome! You gonna sell the CR in the spring?

I'm not gonna do too much this year in terms of mods, some little things and maintenance mainly. I ordered a set of the Urge rear rotors (they're running a 10% off sale for a couple more days I think) as they seem like the simplest and most cost effective solution for the rears (assuming they last). I'm gonna upgrade the diff mounts with some ES inserts (~$150 vs $300+ for whole new mounts) and I'm thinking about some spoon engine mounts.

One thing I'm thinking of doing is a seat later this year. Anyone have an opinion on Recaro PP vs. SPG vs. RSG? I'm not fat but I'm not skinny.. 5'9" just under 180lbs 32-34" waist. I'll have to walk around the track this year and try and sit in some seats to see what fits me.

Dave bought a rollbar.. hopefully he puts it in.
I'm a big sparco fan so I recommend them. I've had the recaro spg and the sparco evo. They're both similar in terms of build quality (excellent), but what I liked more about the sparco was the larger shoulder holes and more grippy stuff on the shoulders and the butt area to keep you from sliding. A lot of people when shopping for seats forget about the shoulder hole height and consequently, when they get a seat their shoulders cover up the holes and compromise the belt angle. That is what is nice about the sparco vs. the recaro. Here is a helpful link about seat sizing.

And thanks clarkster for starting the thread!

Old 01-12-2016, 03:28 PM

No problem!

Ya, i did find that some seats had really low holes ovr the shoulders. I ended up going with OMP because they felt better quality and were actually cheaper, from OG. but, they werent a simple bolt in with the seat rails I had.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:57 PM

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by goldenfri
Yea that oil system "fix" looked like a huge PITA... so I wasn't excited about trying it.

What moroso can are you running? is it easily drainable? I got a ton of blow by in 9 at summit when I took my AP1 there, so I"m not doing that again until I get something set up.
Yep, the moroso can I got is easily drainable which is what I wanted as well, just jack up the passenger side a little and reach under and drain it. Only problem is that I filled the catch can after 1 day at Shenandoah last fall. I didn't realized it till I was swapping pads after the weekend. It had overflowed and the oil was leaking down the undertray of the car. Here's a picture of the setup:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/109...t__p__23375818

I've only been to Summit Main once, but postman said I was blowing a cloud of smoke on turn 9/10. This was before I had the catch can setup. I don't have the part # of the moroso can off hand but I'll find it. It sits nicely down low which makes it easy to reach, here's a couple shots I just snapped in the garage. I tidied up the lines a little while ago with some plastic 90 degree fittings:

[attachment=89784:cc1.jpg]
[attachment=89785:cc2.jpg]
[attachment=89786:cc3.jpg]

Edit: Pretty sure I ordered this catch can: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85473
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Track Junkie Thread!-cc1.jpg   2016 Track Junkie Thread!-cc2.jpg   2016 Track Junkie Thread!-cc3.jpg  
Old 01-12-2016, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by skatebrian624
I'm a big sparco fan so I recommend them. I've had the recaro spg and the sparco evo. They're both similar in terms of build quality (excellent), but what I liked more about the sparco was the larger shoulder holes and more grippy stuff on the shoulders and the butt area to keep you from sliding. A lot of people when shopping for seats forget about the shoulder hole height and consequently, when they get a seat their shoulders cover up the holes and compromise the belt angle. That is what is nice about the sparco vs. the recaro. Here is a helpful link about seat sizing.
Interesting, thanks for the info! First question is do the Sparcos fit well with the interior? I'm trying to keep my car streetable, so I'm looking for some good but semi-comfy seats that fit well in the car and if I want to drive the car on the street in between track days I don't have to swap the seat. If the Sparco Evos fit that's great news. I was leaning towards Recaro because I thought I read that the Sparcos hit the door panel or didn't fit properly..?

I'd prefer Sparco because they seem to be slightly cheaper not to mention the local race shop (OG Racing) is a big dealer and stocks quite a few so I could just demo and buy it there. I'm planning on sticking with the stock seat belt for now, but I'm sure I'll eventually look into getting harnesses and a hans.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:39 PM

So purty...

Sprcos quality seemed subpar to the OMP when i was at OG (meaning velour finish and the bolster material)...they may be lighter, however. Im pretty positive the recaro is lighter but costs $200 more or so per seat
Old 01-12-2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by clarkster009
Sprcos quality seemed subpar to the OMP when i was at OG (meaning velour finish and the bolster material)...they may be lighter, however. Im pretty positive the recaro is lighter but costs $200 more or so per seat
Haha.. given the headache you've gone through trying to fit them in the car, I'd gladly cough up a couple hundred bucks more. The bigger concern for me now is the harness holes on the Recaro PP/SPG's. If they really are low that's a deal breaker. Ultimately I'll just have to sit in a few and go from there.

I personally have found recaros to be seemingly nicer quality vs sparcos, but they're also more expensive. I had a sparco sprint in my civic about 15 yrs ago, and some Recaro SRD's a couple years later in my integra. The SRDs were very nice quality.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:27 PM

I didnt have any headache...Dave did
Old 01-13-2016, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by clarkster009
I didnt have any headache...Dave did
So that's how it is....

Quick Reply: 2016 Track Junkie Thread!