Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis

Old 10-12-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis

I figured I would share this with you guys since I know some of you like seeing stuff like this from time to time. Just a quick background on the car. Its a 04 AP2 with 134k miles on it. No major mods. Only a TP and K&N. I change the oil every 2,500-3,000 miles. I know it seems a bit excessive but to me it give me piece of mind knowing that it constantly has fresh oil in it. I daily drive my car so it does see highway, stop and go, and city traffic. It always receives 91 or higher octane. Other than that, I will let the report speak for itself.

I just wanted to show this to those that get concerned with their cars and having higher miles on them. I really think that if you do the maintenance to the cars like they are supposed to be done, that it will last for years to come.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:44 PM

Very cool info. If I'm reading it correctly, it looks like the viscosity is not within the expected range. Does this mean the oil has broken down to the point it could be harmful or not as protective as originally designed at this point?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:04 PM

Well it looks like they state that it doesn't hurt so I will stick with that. I don't think I will run it longer than the OCI that I am at now.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:12 PM

Wow. I failed to read their comments section, sorry. Do you always use the same oil (castrol GTX) or switch around? Cost to have this report done?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:16 PM

Sorry I wasn't meaing to sound condesending or anything of that nature. I use Castrol GTX pretty much every oil change w/ a PureOne Filter. It cost me $25 to do this and $2.05 to ship it.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:01 PM

I've been using these guys for the past few oil changes, and love the peace of mind it gives you. In fact, I have my next sample sitting on my desk right now, just gotta run to the Post Office to mail is off. Highly recommend this.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:55 AM

Thats a pretty boring report, which is of course what you want to see! Good stuff.

So is that grade correct or are you actually using a 30 SAE? Of course having a viscosity of 10cst wouldn't hurt anything because that is in range for the correct 30 grade viscosity that Honda recommends. But if you started with a 40 weight as indicated, you have either had significant shearing or there is some fuel dilution present or both.

Wear wise this report is golden.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice...im currently using Amsoil 10/30 extreme synthetic oil rated at 15k internval change. My friend did a test on it with his CL TYPEs that was stroked to 3.7 and driven hard and it had not yet broken down at 15k.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by BirdShot
Thats a pretty boring report, which is of course what you want to see! Good stuff.

So is that grade correct or are you actually using a 30 SAE? Of course having a viscosity of 10cst wouldn't hurt anything because that is in range for the correct 30 grade viscosity that Honda recommends. But if you started with a 40 weight as indicated, you have either had significant shearing or there is some fuel dilution present or both.

Wear wise this report is golden.
It is 10W40. I know Honda says to run a 30 weight, but I run a 40 weight for the chain tensioner. It seems to help w/ the rattle a bit. I know its a bandaid fix but I plan on picking up the Inline Pro TCT soon.
Old 10-15-2011, 07:25 AM
vbb

I'm going to do this, sounds cool! I requested the test kit just now. I especially want to know how my oil is doing now that I'm boosted. I've used either Mobil 1 10W30 Synthetic or Valvoline SynPower 10W30 since I've owned the car (which has only been about 5500 miles over the last 2 years). I've done 4 oil changes in that time.

Since going boosted about 300mi ago, I changed the oil once because I could detect a fuel/gas smell. I've got fresh oil in there now as of last weekend, and have put about 20mi on it since then. I want to get it checked out to see if I'm getting too much fuel in the oil because I'm running a lot richer now that I'm boosted.

Do you know how much oil they need for their test? Before I dump this old stuff, I want to make sure I've saved enough for them to analyze.

Here's a sample of what my oil looked like after roughly 300mi of usage:

Quick Reply: Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis