Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Detailed question O2 Sensor

Old 02-21-2008, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailed question O2 Sensor

I have an engine check light on and it is because my O2 sensor is messed up. It is also causing me to run very rich and i can smell the exhaust when i have a tail wind at a stop light. My question is that before i go to buy new sensors and waste a bunch of money, how would i go about cleaning the sensors and what kind of material (soap or some kind of preventative corrosion compound) should/can I use on the sensor to clean with out damaging? Also, I hate cold weather. Peace
Old 02-21-2008, 05:40 AM

Found with a google search

First of all. It's not whether it can or can't be cleaned. Anything can be cleaned, if you go about it right. The question should be, first of all, whether cleaning it would do any good, and if so, whether it needs to be cleaned. Oxygen sensors are exposed to such extreme heat that the only thing that it can get (dirty) with is carbon. Extreme heat will turn any organic matter, such as gasoline or oil, into carbon. Well the bad thing about that, is that baked carbon is not soluble in any kind of solvent, and even if it was, the sensing unit within the o2 sensor module, is not exposed, and is not visible. It is covered by what is usually a louvered steel cylinder. Therefor if you're going to brush it, use a wire brush and brush it as hard as you want, because it isn't going to hurt the steel cover. But this is the problem. The only thing that you can really clean with any success is the outer cover. Since solvents won't do any good, I really would not recomend using electric motor cleaner, since the active indredient in it is Trichloroethylene which is not a very strong solvent. not only is it's strength very low, but also, since it is designed to clean electronic components, it evaporates very rapidly, resulting in a very short working time.
Since o2 sensors are disigned to hande such extreme temeratures. The best method of cleaning them, is to heat the bottom part of the sensor (the part that inserts into the exaust) with a propane torch, to the point that it just begins to turn red. You do not want it to glow chery red, even though they are designed to take extreme heat, you can still over do it. Once you have it heated to the point that is just turns red, or to the point just befor it turns red, quench it in water. This will break free any carbon build up inside the sensor. After the first time, some pieces may still be to big to come out of the sensor so I would recomend doing it 2 to 3 times, blowing it out with an air compressor between each time. But I would have to say, good luck, since O2 sensors very seldom fail do to being dirty. This is not common at all.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never heard of cleaning an O2 sensor. The CEL usually comes on because the pre-heating element of the sensor has gone bad. Here is the best description of what happens that I found on a Toyota Tundra site:

The 02 sensor reads the amount of oxygen left in the exhaust stream after combustion. The computer compares this to what is considered perfect combustion or the Stoichiometric number of 14.7-1. The computer will change the amount of fuel delivered trying to keep this number in balance.
If the O2 sensor voltage is low this then indicates a lean mixture (towards 20-1) If the 02 voltage is high this would indicates a rich mixture (towards 10-1) The sensors will actually generate a small amount of voltage, and this change of voltage is what the computer reads.
The O2 sensor can fails in a few different ways and there are several codes attached to it. It can fail rich or lean and this can cause serious engine or catalytic convertor damage in a short amount of time.
In most Tundra cases as your its a heater failure. One thing about O2 sensors is they need some time to heat up before they will start generating voltage. Therefore heaters where introduced to these sensors to warm them up and get them operating as soon as possible.
A heater malfunction can cause your computer to stay in open loop (this is when the computer sees no O2 sensor feedback) way too long. This is unlikely to damage the engine but waist fuel, causes higher emissions and could lead to convertor damage.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:02 PM

okay well then, so since cleaning it seems to be almost pointless and even if done, ending with little to no result, how much is a new O2 sensor and should i buy it from Honda or can i get a reliable one from Advanced Auto Parts? You guys have been so very helpful so far. Thank you for all the help!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:50 AM

Received 766 Likes on 457 Posts

If you're getting an exhaust smell, then it's not the O2 sensor. That doesn't cause or prevent a smell. You might have an exhaust leak.

There are two O2 sensors on the s2000, one on the cat (which is the one that is usually broken) and and one prior to the cat.

You can easily check the O2 sensor in the cat by taking a 7/16" wrench and unscrewing it.

Have you had a code pulled from pep boys or advanced auto parts? They do that for free. It might be throwing an O2 sensor code, but I'm very skeptical that it's that. I believe the code description says sensor 2 or something like that

If it is the O2 sensor in the cat, they're about $300 from advanced, more from the Honda dealer. Your best bet is to go to the junk yard and pull one off yourself.

P.S. You also have a MY01, according to your description, which runs very rich normally.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by TepEvan,Feb 24 2008, 07:50 AM
If you're getting an exhaust smell, then it's not the O2 sensor. That doesn't cause or prevent a smell. You might have an exhaust leak.

There are two O2 sensors on the s2000, one on the cat (which is the one that is usually broken) and and one prior to the cat.

You can easily check the O2 sensor in the cat by taking a 7/16" wrench and unscrewing it.

Have you had a code pulled from pep boys or advanced auto parts? They do that for free. It might be throwing an O2 sensor code, but I'm very skeptical that it's that. I believe the code description says sensor 2 or something like that

If it is the O2 sensor in the cat, they're about $300 from advanced, more from the Honda dealer. Your best bet is to go to the junk yard and pull one off yourself.

P.S. You also have a MY01, according to your description, which runs very rich normally.
Well, lets see, I have talked to a couple of guys. One guy said that i can change out my ECU with an '03 model. That would manage my fuel/air better. I need to check all my lines for a vacuum leak, but also the exhaust leak is the biggest concern. With the O2 sensors my only problem is finding some way to lift my car because it is too low.

I did have codes pulled this morning,
I got

P0172 runnin rich
P0170 air pump or something
P0411 and something. I looked them up earlier. But cant remember. Thank you for the help. Anything else you can input would be great.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:32 AM

Received 766 Likes on 457 Posts

Look in the Under the Hood section, I think they have codes for that.

And no problem