Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Driving school

Old 05-09-2007, 03:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driving school

Are there any performance driving school in the area that anyone knows of would recommend from first hand experience? If it matters im located at andrews afb in md
Old 05-09-2007, 05:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4,673 Likes on 3,356 Posts

The only one that I know of in the area is BSR (Bill Scott Racing). The operate out of Summit Point Motorsports Park in Summit Point, West Virginia.

Here is the BSR Website.

They offer many performance oriented driving courses. Several of the members on this board have been there and there are even a few who instruct.

I have not personally done any of their classes but I have not heard too many bad things about them.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BILL scott racing

the track itself has FATT (Friday at the Track) for normal street cars

Skip Barber school is there a couple times a year with their racing competition schools.

Several of the car clubs that have events there will allow almost anyone to sign up to keep the car counts high enough to break even/make some money, and have instructors available to people. One of them snobby porsche clubs does not let non-members out, they claim they have to turn away their own people because so many sign up.

NASA for several years has done "student" HPDE groups on their race weekends, and SCCA has just started up PDX events which are basically the same as FATT, HPDE, etc.

of course, this is all road race course driving with lefts AND rights. if you want AutoCross, circuit course, etc, let us know, so people can point you in the right direction....

CAVEAT DISCLAIMER: race on the track , not the street , it is safer and NO TICKETS! after a few track events and seeing what the car can actually do, being crazy on the street holds no allure since 95 on I-95 is so much less fun than 140 into braking zone for turn 1.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4,673 Likes on 3,356 Posts

Originally Posted by KAMcDonald,May 9 2007, 11:52 AM
BILL scott racing
Ooops... Corrected my first post.

Thanks, Keith.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:24 AM

Thanks...I just want to improve my ability w/ rear wheel drive...im not looking to race or autocross at all i just want to better understand my vehicle
Old 05-09-2007, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by sparrow,May 9 2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks...I just want to improve my ability w/ rear wheel drive...im not looking to race or autocross at all i just want to better understand my vehicle
Then autoX is probably what you are looking for. You will learn car dynamics and how to control your vehicle at an autoX. Driving on the track will also teach you those skills but you will also be learning about group dynamics, passing, race line etc.

I started with AutoX then did HPDE and a racing school followed by a bunch of instructor clinics. I like both autoX and HPDE but it sounds like autoX would be a reasonable place to start. Do 3-5 autoX this summer and perhaps an HPDE (I like the Mercedes HPDE for beginners as they have smaller numbers and good instructors).

Botton line is that seat time with an instructor beats classroom instruction/book reading.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,May 9 2007, 09:01 AM
and good instructors).

You should really come out to an autox... its fun, and youll really understand why and how the rear end comes out...
Old 05-09-2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 3312DC,May 9 2007, 02:10 PM
You should really come out to an autox... its fun, and youll really understand why and how the rear end comes out...
Old 05-09-2007, 12:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Autox first, then track. Learning to feel the car's "edge" is a must so that you can keep it from going over it. And trust me, you can have a ton of fun throwing your car about at an autox. It also gives you a chance to work on your tan. Would you like to see a picture of my day at one of the autox's?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:33 PM

being as im a deep chocolate african american and have a hardtop a tan will be kind of hard to attain lol...i really didnt want to push the car at an autocross but i guess its better than driving to WV...cheaper and less time consuming as well

Quick Reply: Driving school