Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Moving To Arlington, VA Area

Old 12-12-2003, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving To Arlington, VA Area

Hi everyone, I'm moving to your neck of the woods. Since I've lived in Texas all my life, I don't know about this white stuff you people call snow. Should I find a way to purchase a beater car for the winters, try to find a place by the bus line, or trade my s for an AWD car? Also, I'm looking for a roommate to keep some of my costs down. I don't have a place picked out, but I'm open to suggestions. Preferably, an apartment/condo with a garage. Whatever advice you guys have will be a big help. Thanks fellas!
Old 12-13-2003, 06:53 AM

What part of Arlington are you moving to? Arlington, VA has one of the highest "car less" people in the metro area. You can pretty much get around everywhere with the Metro (Subway).
Old 12-13-2003, 07:06 AM

I'm not really sure where I'm going to be living near or in Arlington. Arlington is where I'll be working, so I'm going to try to find a reasonably priced place there. I would like to live in north, northeast or east Arlington. However, if there is a subway, bus or train that runs by my office, I'd gladly take it during the winter months! I really have no clue though, since I've never been to the east coast. Down here, we drive everywhere, and if there is just a little ice or snow, the cities basically shut down. I would appreciate any feedback.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

No help here, but in advance... Welcome! Try to wait until the end of March to come out though... they say we're gonna have another white one this year.

Also, you might want to give consideration to the "beater" addition as the roads around this part of the country can prove quite pleasurable in the S. It's a far cry from the open desert from whence I came(SW Arizona). And this Mid-A group is always doing something.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:58 AM

S2K_Gavin Welcome,

I live in Arlington, VA and I'm from Oklahoma, so I know how the weather changes from there to here.

S/SE: Crystal City, Pentagon City; N/NW, Ballston, Clarendon all have metro/subways. All other places are w/in walking distance or w/in walking distance to a city bus (metro bus).

Just don't get "metro" confused. It can either stand for a metro bus or a subway. I got a place just down the street from Pentagon and I thought it was near a metro subway, but it's a metro bus line. It takes 30 min to go 3 miles d/t multiple stops on a bus.

Arlington/DC metro is also known for it's car accidents/minor dings/fendor benders/bumper-to-bumper/etc...
If you don't plan on garaging your car, I would recommend either a beater or ride the "metro".

Spring, Summer, and Fall (Yes they have all three) are awesome w/ the S.

If you tell us exactly where in Arlington you will be working that could help us to help you. Like an address or something. But in regards to affordablility, Arlington isn't exactly affordable unless you want a really beat up place. How long you expected to stay? If > 5 yrs, I would highly recommend buying a condo in Tyson's Corner (not Arlington), resell values are astonishing. Just remember one thing though, most of the places here (Arlington) are extremely old or extremely expensive. I remember one place I looked at was at least 90 years old.

Hope some of this info helps,

LT
Old 12-13-2003, 04:01 PM

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Hi Gavin,
I live in a condo in Arlington (Rosslyn - right across the river from DC), and rely on the subway to get to work downtown. Arlington is expensive but if you can afford it, the convenience is definitely worth it. You might get sticker shock here, but it comes with the territory. Try to live as close to Metro (subway) and as close to where you work as possible since traffic is pretty bad. That way you can have the S as your only car. Mine is garaged, so it would be even better if you can swing a garage space. If you give us more info as to where you will be working, etc, I'm sure we can help you out! Welcome!
Old 12-13-2003, 05:58 PM

Thanks everybody for the quick responses! I'm going to be working near the intersection of N Oak St and Wilson Blvd. I'm in the process of getting a roommate or two to afford a place (apartment/condo/townhouse with a garage), but I'm not sure what bus or subway routes go between the office and the places we are looking at (west of Arlington, Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria...). MsPerky, does this info help?
Old 12-13-2003, 07:31 PM

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Sure does...I'm very close to there. You will be two blocks from the subway (Rosslyn station - Orange and Blue lines). Great location. As for where you want to live...you need to be sure to ask where those places are in relation to the Orange Line (goes to the west from Rosslyn through Falls Church to Vienna) and the Blue Line which goes south through Alexandria to Springfield. There are buses connecting from the subway stations, but it would be ideal if you were within walking distance of the subway. Just a matter of how much you can afford in rent. Good luck!
Old 12-13-2003, 08:50 PM

If I were u i would stay there.

I hate the cold, and ESPECIALLY traffic.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by YeLLoWs2knVA
I hate the cold...

Quick Reply: Moving To Arlington, VA Area