Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

New Pet Snake!

Old 03-17-2005, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pet Snake!

This weekend I am going to be getting a baby albino corn snake. Anyone else own a snake? Any suggestions on what to do for its cage/tank? Thanks!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Pretty cool. I use to have a boa. I had him for a couple of years. He ended up getting sick and died. He was over 6 feet long. But here are some pointers that I have learned.

Make sure you have a heat rock, a nice size tank with a lid that is vented. I use to have to put a pretty heavy rock on top. Sometimes he would get out, but your corn snake will probably not get that big.

Try to keep the water fresh. Some people use the fake (rubber grass) for the bottom of the tank. Helps when the snake sheds and it for an easy cleanup.

Also want to get a heat lamp. Remember, snakes are cold-blooded and love the warmth.

If you happen to feed it live food, i.e. mice or baby rats, feed it in another environment, another tank. So that way, when you go to pick up the snake it will not think you are food and bite you. Oh yeah. You will get bit, its just a matter of when.

If you want a work around, find a pet store that sells frozen mice, baby rats. It's best to thaw them out a day ahead. Try one at first and see if your snake goes for it. Give it some time. If your snake doesn't, try dipping it in chicken broth. It gives it that scent. I never had to do this so I don't know if it really works.

I think that's about it. Remember the more you hold it, the more confortable you and it will get with each other. Corn snakes are great beginner snakes.
Old 03-17-2005, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OnlyHonda4me,Mar 17 2005, 12:04 PM
This weekend I am going to be getting a baby albino corn snake. Anyone else own a snake? Any suggestions on what to do for its cage/tank? Thanks!
I hear they taste like chicken?
Old 03-17-2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,Mar 17 2005, 05:14 PM
hahahha... me too
Old 03-17-2005, 09:18 PM

Received 773 Likes on 463 Posts

I thought Boas didn't have teeth to bite... ?
Old 03-18-2005, 03:35 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,Mar 17 2005, 05:14 PM
Dibs on the knee!
Old 03-18-2005, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by TepEvan,Mar 18 2005, 01:18 AM
I thought Boas didn't have teeth to bite... ?
They have tiny teeth to grip their prey, but they don't have fangs for injecting venom. Thanks Nandska for the info! I got my snake late yesterday, and have decided to name him (so far it is a him) Paco. He's a beautiful white/yellow (changing a little) and light pink albino corn, about 14 inches long. I don't have any pics yet tho. He seems to be liking his habitat, but I'll be getting a heat lamp today to keep it toastier. I have some pinkies for him too... I just have to figure out when he last ate!
Old 03-18-2005, 05:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

anytime. Hmmmm. Chicken
Old 03-18-2005, 06:19 AM

Received 734 Likes on 449 Posts

Good luck with your little snake. My son has an albino python that he's had for about 12 years -- IT IS HUGE. He feeds it little rabbits , but it does not have to eat very often. Be absolutely sure you keep the cage and the snake's surroundings very, very clean since their habitat is great turf for nasty bugs like StrepA, salmonella and other harmful bacteria. My son says his python enjoys baths in a bathtub and he takes it outside (after it has just eaten so it moves slowly) in the summer to sun itself on the deck. Oh, his snake's name is Powder and it is a beautiful, yet deadly looking creature.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nandska,Mar 17 2005, 09:31 AM
Make sure you have a heat rock, a nice size tank with a lid that is vented.

Try to keep the water fresh. Some people use the fake (rubber grass) for the bottom of the tank. Helps when the snake sheds and it for an easy cleanup.

Also want to get a heat lamp. Remember, snakes are cold-blooded and love the warmth.
I am apologizing ahead of time, I had a lot to say.

I agree mostly with what Nandska said, however you want to avoid using heat rocks. Heat rocks are know to burn reptiles. Snakes tend to lay on their heat sources and if they begin to burn they will not get off the surface. Burns can take a while to develop.

Use a heat pad that goes underneath the tank. Then use the turf(indoor/outdoor carpeting) in the tank. This will insulate the heat pad and prevent direct contact with your snake. Heaters like heat rocks are dangerous since the snakes skin is in direct contact with heat source.

I have a ball python that is about 5 feet. I first had her in a 20 gallon long. This is the ideal size for baby snake. I upgraded to a 40gal breeder, once she (Amelia) got a little bigger. The size a snake grows is influenced by the size of the their enclosure. If you have the means and the room I would get a 40gallon. But a 20 long will do fine. I am also not too familiar with corn snakes, so i don't know how big they get.

They sell carpet at the pet store, like 20$ and pop. You can go to Lowes or home depot and get indoor outdoor carpeting and cut it your self (about 35$ for 10-12 sheets). Then when cage is dirty, you just throw the old one out and put in a new one, easy fast clean up.

Also get a heat lamp. The heat lamp should be placed on the opposite side of the tank that the heat pad is on. Put the light on a timer and typically have it on 10-12 hours a day.

Another light source that is good, however an expensive invest meant is a UVB light. It provides vitiamins and calcium that help the snakes skin and bones. The light bulbs are about 50$ and the hoods for the lights are 30 and up. ( I have had my snake for 5 years and have not had one of these lights, however I plan on buying one soon after recently being told about them) Make sure if you get one of these you get the correct UVB rating for your type of snake.

Also have a water dish.....Place the water dish on the side with the lamp, it will help with the moisture in the cage. It is also good to get a water bowl big enough that the snake can climb into(Not hug but not just a drinking dish) Tip:Buy a dog water bowl, the ones that are No flip so your snake dosent flip the dish all the time.

Your snake needs a Hid spot. Typically place the hid spot on the side with the heat pad. I bought a half log at the pet store and Amelia loves it. If you buy a large tank, a good thing to do is have a hide spot on the hot side and one on the cooler side.
Note: Do not use logs and sticks you find outside. Buy the wood that you put in your snakes cage. Logs from outside can carry parasites, like mytes. Its a good way to get them in your cage, and they can be a pain to get rid of.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: Show your snake some love. I got Amelia when i was a freshman in college. There wasn't a day that went by that somebody didn't ask to play with her, or that i would. Take your snake out as much as ppossible The more you handle them the tamer they get. She used to come out to block paries with me, and at my parties everyone would handle her. She has never struck at anyone. And when other people handle your snake just tell them not to touch their face. Snakes are very sketched out by people trying to touch (or pet) their heads.

Oh yeah, ddon'ttake your snake out for a couple of days after you feed it. Imagine if you sswalloweda turkey you wwouldn'twant people mmovinyou around either. Snakes need time to lay on their heat source and digest it is an important to their health.

The more frequent you feed the faster they will grow, but make sure that your snake is going to the bathroom iin betweenmeals. I feed every 2-4 weeks.

I promise this is my last bit: If your snake is having trouble when they sshead(as in its coming off in little pieces instead of 1-4 bbiggerpieces, your snake needs more moisture. You can make a moisture box outta a tuperware dish.
Take tupperware dish, cut hole in the lid.
Place wet paper towels or other substance to hold the moisture.
(You can buy a moss Like spanish moss at the hard ware, never use any substance in your tank that could be digested. thats why carpet is better then wood chips or sand)
You can put the box in a week or so before they sshead Also give your snake a bath every 1-2weeks. This will help ttremendouslyfor their ssheading Amelia will squirm for a couple minutes or two in the tub, but once she calms down shell soak for twenty to 30 minutes. Just remember they are cold blooded, so they will turn to the temp of the water. You want the water to be warm, but not really hot. some where between 70-90 degrees.

There is tons of info on the web too, use it. When i first bought my snake I didn't have a clue, but there is a lot of helpful info on herps out there.

Quick Reply: New Pet Snake!