100.00%
no
0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

opinions needed on running my business

Old 05-02-2005, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions needed on running my business

ok, well my mind is pretty much made up, but here is the background, i just want to hear what other people would do in the situation. ok, .. about a month ago, i hired a new girl at my business. (it is a kiosk in the mall) her first day on the job, she was about 45 mins late. i let that slide because she didnt have my number at that time to call. second day, she is 5 mins late. ok, still not good, but i give her a chance. over the next 2 weeks she seems to do ok, and seems to be catching on during her training, showing up early most of the time. OK, now training over. she is working on her own now during her shifts, this means that she is the ONLY person at the store during many hours. her first couple days on her own she does really well. from there it goes downhill, she calls me repetitively with questions that she SHOULD be able to answer herself. at first i dont hold this agaisnt her, i figure that i just need to work on training her better, but on the other hand, i know that i am losing money and sales. she has worked a total of 2 and a half weeks by herself after her training. in that time she has been >30 mins late twice, and about 5 mins late 4 or 5 times. has called in sick 20 mins before her shift once, and has been going downhill with her sales. finally , this brings me to the point of my poll. she was scheduled to work today at 3. at 305 i call and she said that she had texted me saying she would be late, and should be there in 10 mins. 27 mins later she shows up. and i still never got the text. then at 745 i get a call from her friend, saying that i need to pick up the store keys at the emergency room because she wasnt feeling well. here is my dillema, i make it to the store by 8 and find out that she left somewhere between 620 and 700. the register and everything was left completely unlocked. and her car keys are still there. from what ive gathered, her friend drove her to the hospital for a headache. now granted, she may have been sick. but 1. i didnt recieve a call saying that the store was unattended for at least 45 mins after she left. 2. nothing was locked, register left on, display cases open. she could have had her friend call me when they left, or let security or soemone know to call me. and as far as locking stuff up, it takes 1 turn of the key to turn off the register and 1 lock on the main cases to lock everythign. if you take your time, you can turn off the register and lock everything in about 10 seconds. what would all you mid-a'ers do in this situation.

ps. sorry about the length
Old 05-02-2005, 05:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you have reason to worry since she left the register open and didn't lock up befgore she went to the hospital. The lateness are a concern, but you need to give her warnings - the first verbally, the second in writing which she signs.

With her constantly being late then sick, I wonder if she may have a drinking or drug problem. She definately seems to be more and more of a liability. I can see firing her, as you have to worry about your business. But who will fill in for her til a replacement is found? Make sure you document all the problems you have with her incase she tries to sue you for wrongful termination (you never know w/ some people).

Perhaps there's an attorney on the board who knows small business issues who can give you an hour consultation at no charge.

Good luck,
Warren
Old 05-02-2005, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by WarrenW,May 2 2005, 09:52 PM
I think you have reason to worry since she left the register open and didn't lock up befgore she went to the hospital. The lateness are a concern, but you need to give her warnings - the first verbally, the second in writing which she signs.

With her constantly being late then sick, I wonder if she may have a drinking or drug problem. She definately seems to be more and more of a liability. I can see firing her, as you have to worry about your business. But who will fill in for her til a replacement is found? Make sure you document all the problems you have with her incase she tries to sue you for wrongful termination (you never know w/ some people).

Perhaps there's an attorney on the board who knows small business issues who can give you an hour consultation at no charge.

Good luck,
Warren
dont worry, she had already previously been warned about her tardyness, and i have been documenting all possible causes for termintation
Old 05-02-2005, 06:05 PM

IMHO, I say fire her. She needs to learn about responsibility at work. Giving her all these chances will make her think you're a softie boss and she'll continue her poor work habits. I think you've given her enough chances to prove herself- and she failed.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:03 PM

You have already wasted you time and money in training her, when you could have been training someone who really wanted the job. Now it's time to cut your loses and let her go. Her ass should have been out of there two weeks ago. Where I work, everyone gets paid to do their jobs. And if you can't do your job, your ass will be out of there and they will find someone who can. IMO, you gave here intirely too many chances. So she just started takeing advantage of you kindness and came in when SHE wanted to. Another thing, If she really wanted that job, you wouldn't be having these problems.

I do have one question though:

Is she hot? If so that kinda sucks.
Why are some of the pretty ones so stupid?
Old 05-02-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TrboInteg,May 2 2005, 10:03 PM
Why are some of the pretty ones so stupid?
HAHA, that's one of those age old questions, like why is it only fat chicks who wear spandex?

Warren
Old 05-02-2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by WarrenW,May 2 2005, 10:12 PM
why is it only fat chicks who wear spandex?
Damn, that conjures up some horrible images.

There is this one fat chick at my work who wears spandex shorts when wearing dresses. Unfortunately, she makes it a habit of lifting up her dress to show people. Believe me, that is not what you need @ 8 in the morning before you've had a chance to get a cup of coffee. In her defence though, she's not all there upstairs.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:44 PM

As long as you have written documentation that she signed then I would fire her. If this is the case then she has been warned previously on paper, and has been on notice. Now if you didn't have her sign any paperwork in regards to her tardiness and you fired her, then she could turn around and sue you because she can claim you fired her after a medical emergency. Again. all this is dependent on the fact that you have written paperwork.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:50 PM

fire her ass. she has shown a lack of responsibility that would not be tolerated at any job, even many that are volunteer. at my place of employment, the hours are pretty flexible, but i make sure several people know where i am at all times if i'm not in the office, and i am almost always a phone call away. leaving the register unlocked is really grounds for termination by itself, at least without some sort of medical emergency (ambulance and all). i don't know about substance abuse in this case, but i wouldn't rule it out either; not that you even need to bring it up as a reason.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fire the Bitch.

Quick Reply: opinions needed on running my business