Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Our service men and women...

Old 02-06-2005, 08:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Our service men and women...

I posted this on a completely unrelated thread this morning...but I feel so strongly about it that I wanted to share my thoughts here with my Mid-Atlantic family. I hope others share this view and will offer their gratitude with the opportunity arises...

[This post was related to having seen a commercial sponsored by Anheuser-Busch showing folks at an airport offer standing applause for returning service men and women...]

The Anheuser-Busch "Applause" commercial offering warm thanks to the returning soldiers at the airport terminal. Seriously a right thing to do . During our Saturday evening church service, one of our members had returned this week and is now with his family after a year over in Iraq. His family was asked to stand and the entire congregation applauded his safe return home. I gave him a tap, warm handshake, and a hug passing his pew as Taska and I left the evening service. Folks...if you see a member of our service back home, let them know how much we appreciate their sacrifice. If you pass a convoy on the road, give them the . Screw any politics here...I'm simply saying these folks risked their lives as asked by our country. Looking at what *my* daily responsibilities are in life, and not to mention the freedoms I enjoy during recreational times, I appreciate their risks, and I owe each man and woman that serves my country my eternal gratitude. And my own civic duty is to make them feel welcome as they return home. I hope each of you will offer to do the same .

- Dave
Old 02-06-2005, 08:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave, my daughter asked if I was crying at the end of that commercial. I said, "No, honey. I'm just tearing." It so reminded me of my return from Desert Storm after being medivac'd out. When I arrived Balboa Naval Hospital(San Diego), another Marine and I were released to return to our bases. Janet had made the drive over from Arizona and the three of us went to a local club.

We paid for nothing as everyone WANTED to buy us a drink and say thank you. They even played our national anthem. I welled up then as I did tonight. I applaud all branches, men and women.

Great post/thread, Dave. Many here are former military or know miltary members.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always keep in mind that these folk volunteered for duty... they were not drafted or required to serve as are so many other countries militaries. Amazing!

No matter what, when, or where, you have to admire and give thanks (imho) to those who volunteer to protect our country and freedoms, even when you might not agree with how they have been called upon to do so at that moment in time. (It's not their choice afterall, and approval/disapproval can be voiced with your vote).

That was a great commercial; and I really appreciated the fact that they really did make it about the soldiers and their logo/ad was presented almost as an afterthought. Classy.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, I felt kinda goofy to have admitted that I'd "teared up" watching the commercial...so I edited that part out of my initial post . But I did. Really just touches me how much of a sacrifice is offered...and how easily it can be taken for granted if time is not taken to appreciate it. I can't imagine how Nam vets returning home may or may not have been treated. I was a child then. But I certainly get the idea that as Nam turned into "an unpopular war" it was taken out on the returning troops. And such a public behavior should be considered And as lane mentioned, if there were to be an issue with our government's decisions, take that up as a voting citizen...but always support our troops

I know what our troops' responsibility is...its to support our country's decisions and to defend where & how commanded. They do it to protect other people's freedoms. They do it to protect our freedoms. And they do that with their life. And I have nothing but respect for them.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:35 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In Virginia Beach the Oceanfront is considered from 1st Street to Fort Story/Cape Henry Lighthouse (90th Street). From 84th St. to the Fort Stroy entrance locals dress the telephone/electricty poles and trees in yellow ribbons and American flags in times of crisis. Traveling down this 6 block stretch really makes one feel proud and patriotic and I pass a to those who put the effort into the dressings.

We have quite a few Mid-A members who are in the military and do their share as well. All deserve a big thank you from us
Old 02-07-2005, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The military folk do deserve a . I've been on the other end of it. My dad served in the US Navy for 20 years. The reason for joining was me. He wanted a better life for me and he knew we wasn't going to make it in the Phillipines. My dad has missed several of my birthdays, holidays, etc. But I know that he was to do what he has to do. When our country needed him, he didn't have to tell me anything, I just told him to go. I'm very greatful that he is still here with me, because honestly, I wouldn't be half the man I am without him.

I plan on joining the reserves once I get my masters which should be in no time.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:50 AM

A lot of people really dont appreciate the sacrifices these soldiers have made... :thumbsup: They deserve a lot more then they get.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:40 AM

it'll be 10 years in the Corps in July. i couldn't have asked for a better job, a better way of life, or a better band of brothers. i do my job because i believe in what America stands for.

plus, i get to blow stuff up.

America's support is always appreciated.

Rob Tanner Wortham
Staff Sergeant of Marines
Old 02-07-2005, 08:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The military has been my life for the past 39 yrs. My dad spent 26 yrs in the AF. Did a couple stints in Vietnam and as a helicopter door gunner was shot down twice, got spit on and was called a baby killler

This coming July I'll hit my 20 yr point and while I'm not sure if I'll punch or stay longer, I will say that I appreciate your support and I know my brothers and sisters in uniform feel the same.

Dave great post my friend!

-Kevin
Old 02-07-2005, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by w1ngman' date='Feb 7 2005, 12:32 AM
Actually, I felt kinda goofy to have admitted that I'd "teared up" watching the commercial...so I edited that part out of my initial post . But I did. Really just touches me how much of a sacrifice is offered...and how easily it can be taken for granted if time is not taken to appreciate it. I can't imagine how Nam vets returning home may or may not have been treated. I was a child then. But I certainly get the idea that as Nam turned into "an unpopular war" it was taken out on the returning troops. And such a public behavior should be considered And as lane mentioned, if there were to be an issue with our government's decisions, take that up as a voting citizen...but always support our troops

I know what our troops' responsibility is...its to support our country's decisions and to defend where & how commanded. They do it to protect other people's freedoms. They do it to protect our freedoms. And they do that with their life. And I have nothing but respect for them.
I have my own opinions on the war in Iraq, but despite whatever your opinions are on the war, the soldiers deserve our respect and gratitude. I don't think I've heard anything about soldiers being disrespected because of the unpopularity of this war though ... I know it happened in Nam, but from what I can gather, it seems like people are supportive of our soldiers regardless of their opinion on the war.

Quick Reply: Our service men and women...