Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

An Unwelcomed Visitor in my Car

Old 10-11-2005, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile An Unwelcomed Visitor in my Car

My GF's house is not in the best neighborhood but we have never had any problems there. Around 8:30 pm (on a TUESDAY!) I was unpacking the car from running errands that day. My car was in the driveway and my GF's car was double-parked right behind me. I went inside and closed the door behind me to keep the bugs out. I then dropped some stuff off and grabbed a drink .

Probably 2 minutes later I open the house door and see that there is a guy IN my driver's seat ! I was stunned for a moment (is this really happening?!?!?!), and then yelled, "Hey, A$$hole!!" . He darted out of the car and without thinking I instinctively threw my drink down and started chasing him through the neighborhood.

This chase continued through the street, the parking lot, sidewalks, lawns, and in between trees - Reminded me of all those cliche' chase scenes from the cop movies (surprised that we didn't cut through the inside of someone's house!). I'm not a track star but I was about 15 feet behind him and didn't lose ground. I remember that he looked over his shoulder 4 or 5 times and was probably wondering how long he would have to run before I would give up or lose him.

Finally, by the time we got to the other end of the neighborhood, I was winded from sprinting full speed for so long and logic kicked in: Is this really worth it? Does he have a weapon? Is HE going to kick my a$$ or worse ???

We called the cops and security, but of course, my new friend was long gone by then. The good news is that I didn't get hurt, and as far as I know, he couldn't find any loose items to steal.

Moral of the story is lock you car (and set alarm) even if you are only running inside for a minute.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:50 PM

that sucks... well put it this way.. he was running away from you so he coudln't of had a weapon worth using..... hopefully you got a good description of him tho and they got some prints from the car..
Old 10-11-2005, 09:19 PM

Glad to hear that you didn't get hurt or worse. You gotta be careful when you're running after someone bc they just might stop and turn around on you and surprise you with a weapon or even a fist. Be safe everyone.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:06 AM

Received 154 Likes on 88 Posts

he couldve been leading you on to a nice group of thugs down the street, where they would beat you up and then finish the job. good to hear you werent hurt. risky stuff.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hell yeah! Teacher takes no sheit!

Glad you're okay. Glad the car's okay.

[Now...about those sleepless future nights wondering if he'll come back ]
Old 10-12-2005, 04:24 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 10-12-2005, 04:29 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Thieves.

Hopefully you scared this one straight. At least he will think twice about a S2000.

You might want to get some seat locks.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:35 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Yesterday, my assistant manger tells me a story about his friend Cecil, Fairfax policeman. He said that an S2000 owner had called an attempt in and watched from the house. When the cops arrived, the suspect dropped the rachet and took off. They did not catch the guy.

Maybe this is the same story, but told like that "whisper-in-the-next-person's-ear" game. I'll have to look further into it. Really glad you still have seats and your health.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dr. Evil needs to do somemore sprint training J/K, glad they did not do any damage. 8:30 on a Tuesday? That sounds like some crack smoking loonie just decided to check cars for a wallet rather than a dedicated car thief.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:19 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Glad to hear all is OK and I probably would have chased the guy too just as a first reaction. Amazing how bold people are but that is often the best way to act when doing illegal activities.

Between the cops that live on the street, the fact that everyone on the street is armed, retired neighbor who watches over everything and the fact that my dog roams free on my property I'm not too worried about having a similar incident at my place.

Quick Reply: An Unwelcomed Visitor in my Car