Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Wake the Dragon X - 2012 *Caravan info added*

Old 01-19-2012, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotcha so somewhere around 300 then.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Some points to make (for those new to 'S2000 Dragon Events') -- I'm sure others can add to this...
  • The Dragon is a PUBLIC ROAD. It has 'other' vehicles besides us on it. It is not *our road* for the event weekend. It is a ROAD...not a race track. Race tracks are safe[r]...they have areas designed in technical turns, etc. so that your car can safely slide to a stop if you lose control. The Dragon can be DANGEROUS. It has, literally, zero 'safe zones'...you slide your car, you are either *IN* the side of the mountain, or you are OFF the side of the mountain. You NEVER drive The Dragon beyond your comfort zone. Oh...and the road is typically enforced by 'Johnny Law'. So you do actually speed at your own risk (of a ticket). Frankly our cars are well-designed enough to handle 15+mph over posted speeds hands-down. But that doesn't mean that if you come around a blind curve, and find yourself facing a LEO with radar, that you won't STILL have been going 15+mph over posted speed... Knowwhuddamean?
  • S2000 Dragon Events are not organized the way a 'typical/local weekend meet' is. S2000 Dragon Events are ORGANIZED. There is a link to REGISTER...and it costs money to register. Yeah, yeah...you're thinking, 'But you just said this road is a *public* road...why can't I just show up?" Well, its about respecting that this is an organized event . I hope we are all mature enough to respect that big events like this take planning, yada, yada... Anyway...you need to register if you plan to attend . Thanks.
  • Check your car *now* for needs in April. You may not need to purchase anything right now...but just bear these things in mind for timely purchase/replacement prior to the trip/event: How are those tires looking? How about your brakes? Have you neglected replacing your brake fluid? How about your differential fluid? Spark plugs?... You get the idea. We end up being in a REMOTE area (easily 30 minutes from civilization in any -- of only two -- directions). You don't want a break down on a Saturday afternoon on the side of a mountain 30+ minutes from a repair shop (assuming the shop is even open when you get there!).
Again...others will add I'm sure. Just figured this is a good place to post given that there are new faces/owners indicating interest in attending. Love to see you come along! Love even more to see you make it back safely

- Dave
Old 01-19-2012, 06:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 685 Likes on 433 Posts

Good info, thanks Dave.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:44 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by w1ngman
Some points to make (for those new to 'S2000 Dragon Events') -- I'm sure others can add to this...
- Dave
Are you actually going dave? I didnt think you ever made it that far from home.

Also if you arent on this list, then you arent considered to be attending.

http://wtdx2012.eventbrite.com//
Old 01-19-2012, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by w1ngman
[list][*]The Dragon is a PUBLIC ROAD. It has 'other' vehicles besides us on it. It is not *our road* for the event weekend. It is a ROAD...not a race track. Race tracks are safe[r]...they have areas designed in technical turns, etc. so that your car can safely slide to a stop if you lose control. The Dragon can be DANGEROUS. It has, literally, zero 'safe zones'...you slide your car, you are either *IN* the side of the mountain, or you are OFF the side of the mountain. You NEVER drive The Dragon beyond your comfort zone.

Not attending, but I must add:

The Hellbender (leading from Fontana to the dragon) is even more Dangerous than the dragon. It may not seem like it, but if you are driving even remotely hard, you'll be going a whole lot faster when you get into trouble. Be careful. Take it from someone who f@#ked up pretty bad there about 3.5 years ago. Had I been driving an S2K I probably wouldn't be here.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:58 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by ProDarwin
The Hellbender (leading from Fontana to the dragon) is even more Dangerous than the dragon. It may not seem like it, but if you are driving even remotely hard, you'll be going a whole lot faster when you get into trouble. Be careful. Take it from someone who f@#ked up pretty bad there about 3.5 years ago. Had I been driving an S2K I probably wouldn't be here.
We've had a few people go off on Hellbender.

Always use buddy system. In the event of an incident, you want someone to see you to call for help.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Community Organizer

Received 685 Likes on 433 Posts

I love Hellbender as much, if not more than the dragon, little to no police presence usually. But I agree, you can reach some ridiculous speeds on that road. You really need to be careful and not go above your comfort zone, just like the rest of the area. You should also always have a radio with you. There is little to no cell phone coverage in much of the area.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gigdy
Originally Posted by w1ngman' timestamp='1326987009' post='21331773
- Dave
Are you actually going dave? I didnt think you ever made it that far from home.

Also if you arent on this list, then you arent considered to be attending.

http://wtdx2012.eventbrite.com//
If referring to *me* specifically on that list...click 'Show More'...and you'll see 'Dave, Bumpass VA'

Of *course* I go to The Dragon. How do you think I got 250,000 miles on The Bruised Banana???!!! I guess I've been out there ~ 20 times over the past 10 years

- Dave
Old 01-19-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by goldenfri
I love Hellbender as much, if not more than the dragon, little to no police presence usually. But I agree, you can reach some ridiculous speeds on that road. You really need to be careful and not go above your comfort zone, just like the rest of the area. You should also always have a radio with you. There is little to no cell phone coverage in much of the area.
Yup... Much 'flatter' turns. And often you unspring your suspension load riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight as you're coming into or are in the midst of a curve! . You gotta KNOW every inch of that road's quirks...or "Its the Lake" for you! :burbleburble:
Old 01-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to go back this year, but I won't know if I can till March.

Quick Reply: Wake the Dragon X - 2012 *Caravan info added*