Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

22y.o. and need some direction

Old 09-23-2012, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22y.o. and need some direction

I look to the s2ki group for a lot of info so I figure I why not my future career choice.

I'm at a crossroads in my life I think, I'm 22, graduated high school, no college, and I make about $60,000 a year. but I'm simply not happy with where my life is going. I work graveyard shift 50-60 hours a week. and have absolutely no life outside of work.

My question for you guys is what do you for a career making the same about the same or more money that you only work a normal 40 hour work week and preferably day shift. lol

My soon-to-be wife just started school to because a orthodontist and once she is an orthodontist in like 10 years, lol. My plan is to go to school for businesses management and start up our own orthodontist place and own our own shop and work together. What do you think about that?

I don't really care what I end up doing I've had 4 different jobs since I was 15 and I've worked very hard at them and always managed to have fun at work without compromising my work ethic.

Anything helps, just looking for some direction for my life.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First step, is spelling it college. And you should probably invest some time there.

The truth is, there's an infinite number of ways to live your life. But if you want a 40 hour work week, you probably shouldn't be running a business.

Also, there's a rule of thumb that says you shouldn't enter into business with your best friends; this applies to significant others too. Of course, this isn't a steadfast rule and there's a laundry list of examples which would suggest this rule doesn't apply. But the truth is the number of either businesses that fail; or relationships that fail because of business is much higher. Food for thought.

Without knowing any of your scholarly or extracurricular interests, it's pretty impossible to point you in a direction. College is a good start though.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 AM

haha college. Got ya. Well ive always been interested in cars and working with them. But there isn't much money in it as a career, im more or less asking what is some short term training that will start me onto a new job untill the time comes to start a business. But I need to make about the same amount of money which will be hard. I have no doubts that we will work together fine. Me and her have Been together for 4 years and known each other since we were 12. Lol
Old 09-24-2012, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by 03suzuka...s2000
I look to the s2ki group for alot of info so I figure I why not my future career choice.

Im at a cross road in my life I think, im 22, graduated high school, no collage, and I make about $60,000 a year. but im simply not happy with where my life is going. I work graveyard shift 50-60 hours a week. and have absolutely no life outside of work.

My question for you guys is what do you for a career making the same about the same or more money that you only work a normal 40 hour work week and preferably day shift. lol

My soon to be wife just started school to because a orthodontist and once she is an orthodontist in like 10 years ,lol. My plan is to go to school for businesses management and start up our own orthodontist place and own our own shop and work together. What do you think about that?

I don't really care what I end up doing ive had 4 different jobs since I was 15 and I've worked very hard at them and always managed to have fun at work without compromising my work ethic.

Anything helps, just looking for some direction for my life.
What do you do now? Depends what you want to do with your life. For me it took me 10 years to realize what I wanted to do with my life is the same thing I wanted to do when I was a kid, and that is medicine. But also Im am working towards launching health bars.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should post what you're currently doing and what your skills are. Try to find something that has nontransferable skills from your current job, yet allows you to work better hours.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:45 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

40 hours and running a business don't belong in the same sentence. Too many people think running a business is some kind of gold mine. Thats why so many of them fail. Businesses comes with a ton of hard work and a lot of hours.

As a business owner your job title is literally everything. You might have to be the janitor one day and the decision maker the next. Someone doesn't show up for work you have to pick up the slack. Also once you start making money you want to reinvest a lot of your earnings, either in the same business or to diversify. Also when your starting and running your business you will spend hours a week just making decision after your normal work hours, even when your at home in bed. Every decision you make = $$$$ earned or $$$$ lost.

Also, a lot of women arn't ok with you work 70 hours +. I work roughly 80 right now and travel at least 1-2 times per month. & my business is already establish and im establishing another one now. My gf of 7 years alrdy hates my work hours.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:12 AM

first off, i have no idea what i would do in your position. second im in dental school. do you have any idea who or how to become an orthodontist? 10 years? No. your gf/you have no idea what you two are in for. it takes 4 years of college and 4 years of dental school and then 3-4 years of more school/residency to be a orthodontist. second, it takes a very hard working smart person to get from college to dental school, we are taking about 3.5 minmum GPA. and then, you have to be either number 1 or number 2 in your dental class just to be accepted into the ortho program. somehow my first impression of your future wife doubts her ability to follow through with this plan being with someone like you. btw if you are currently working 60 hours a week, and she does end up in dental school, GOOD f@#kING LUCK!!!!!!! on keeping that afloat.

but, good luck on you career choice. fwiw, i have a few friends who are mechanics and they make 40-60K a year. the trick is to do "side jobs" you charge half the cost of what the dealership charges and people will think they are saving a lot.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:32 PM

^^wow nice guy eh

Im in the same boat in a lot of ways, no college and make $60k a year doing a graveyard shift. I dont want to do this shit anymore but love the money and cant just quit or leave, its a tough decision to be in. Would love to hear what you come up with.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by ans2k
first off, i have no idea what i would do in your position. second im in dental school. do you have any idea who or how to become an orthodontist? 10 years? No. your gf/you have no idea what you two are in for. it takes 4 years of college and 4 years of dental school and then 3-4 years of more school/residency to be a orthodontist. second, it takes a very hard working smart person to get from college to dental school, we are taking about 3.5 minmum GPA. and then, you have to be either number 1 or number 2 in your dental class just to be accepted into the ortho program. somehow my first impression of your future wife doubts her ability to follow through with this plan being with someone like you. btw if you are currently working 60 hours a week, and she does end up in dental school, GOOD f@#kING LUCK!!!!!!! on keeping that afloat.

but, good luck on you career choice. fwiw, i have a few friends who are mechanics and they make 40-60K a year. the trick is to do "side jobs" you charge half the cost of what the dealership charges and people will think they are saving a lot.

Well, that was a real encouraging message.

In my opinion, you should really consider going back to college, and even some sort of professional or graduate degree after you've obtained your bachelor's degree. Nowadays, since the market is becoming increasingly saturated with college educated persons, you will need to stand apart from the crowd. In order to do so, you can't just market yourself with only a bachelor's degree. You can try to start a business, but most start-ups go under. If you want to take the risk, and work well over 60 hours a week, invest your time and money into starting a business. But, if you are more risk-averse like I am, go to school. I won't guarantee that you will work 40 hour weeks, but, you will be making a significant amount of money, during the time in which most people work, and have a healthy work/life balance. Work hard and stay focused; college and professional school are pretty easy endeavors when you know what you want. Don't let our friend scare you or your girlfriend; you can show up and easily obtain a 3.5 in college. Finally, you guys will never know what the future has in store for you. If your girlfriend wants to be an orthodontist, let her try to become an orthodonist. Don't let this guy shoot you down. Sure, he goes to dental school, but he doesn't know you, your girlfriend, or your respective abilities, and therefore, is unjustified in making many of his remarks.

But, the most important thing is 1) find something that you are passionate about, 2) work hard, and 3) have patience. Talk about these life goals with your girlfriend and make sure you guys are on the same page. Whatever you guys decide, I wish you the best of luck.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:03 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ans2k

how do you know his girlfriend isn't in dental school already? or isn't smart? Just b.c she's with him? You sound like a freaking dumbass.

get off your high horse. your in dental school. big freakn deal.

and just FYI, i know more than enough people in the medical profession. Ones that are harder than an orthodontist.

Quick Reply: 22y.o. and need some direction