Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

iPhone - an indirectly lucrative investment?

Old 07-03-2007, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone - an indirectly lucrative investment?

The iPhone may be a subject beat to death at this point, but I was thinking about potential investments in companies that build the iPhone as opposed to Apple itself.

I read today in a NYTimes article about the potential profits in companies that contribute to the production of the iPhone - i.e., Intel Corp, Broadcom Corp, Texas Instruments Inc, and Infineon Technologies AG are a few names dropped. (See article here)

It would be interesting to see the market trends of these companies that directly contribute parts to the iPhone as time progresses. Of course these companies have other buyers beyond Apple, but due to the super-hyped up marketing by Steve Jobs I believe there will be a correlation between Apple's profits with each of the contributors to the iPhone in the months to follow.

Thoughts and ideas?
Old 07-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It really depends on how much of an impact the iPhone will have on the company. For Intel likely not much. If there is a play it needs to be researched well. A company with a little piece but bigger problems elsewhere would not be a good investment.

Look for the smallest company with a clean balance sheet who will see significant increases in revenue from 10 million units sold.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm getting ready to short aapl.

I heard their Iphone sucks.