Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread...

Old 07-24-2007, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is appl a good time to buy now at 136.66? Also is it a good time to pick up some stocks at these current level or wait to everything settles down?
Old 07-24-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he said wait buy after earnings.

Check the logs though.

Cramer would say your better off with Walgreens or CVS. I'd have to do my 'hw' to see if these stocks are 'hot' but right off the bat WAG looks a lot better. But again, you gota do the industry hw.

He would also say that VGR has a good yield, and is a cheap stock.

I personally am for something with more earnings potential.

Cramer likes it though.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonjm,Jul 24 2007, 01:08 PM
I think he said wait buy after earnings.

Check the logs though.

Cramer would say your better off with Walgreens or CVS. I'd have to do my 'hw' to see if these stocks are 'hot' but right off the bat WAG looks a lot better. But again, you gota do the industry hw.

He would also say that VGR has a good yield, and is a cheap stock.

I personally am for something with more earnings potential.

Cramer likes it though.
well that sux lol

i bought at 86.43 and now its at 82.33

i am thinking hte earnings call isnt gonna be pretty tomorrow. gonna sell if it gets to 81...
Old 07-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! I was out all afternoon and just got back to find I'm down $2800 on the day and over 3% across the board. I guess I can't say I didn't see it coming. The bears have been on the prowl for the last few weeks and just this morning I was looking at the VIX and thinking, hmm, it's at 18, that's crash territory.

I'm trying to think of something intelligent to say but I'm at a loss. I guess the first thing is DONT PANIC. Go do your homework. Go over your stocks one by one and make sure they are fundamentally sound. Make a list and rank them. The ones that are being unfairly hit should be bought. Ones with stretched valuation or some fundamental problem should be sold. Everything else you should sit on. Be rigourous and clear headed.

Overblown expectations for AAPL have been sold off. It reports tomorrow and may get hit again but not for much since > 5% was bled off today. Same goes for other stocks. RIO was off 4.5% for no good reason. Worldwide growth is strong and will continue to be for another 5 years (commodity bull markets last 10 years typically). I wouldn't do anything with it. COP is a buy. It's been punished because of a very short term drop in oil prices. We all know they are going up, way up, so why sell something you know is going higher. Dump your financials and takeover bets.

What else can you say? Keep a cool head. Look for opportunities, there are many. Check out FCX down 4% for what? Panic selling, covering leverage. If you stay calm this is where you make the real money. Stocks to watch: AAPL, INTC, EMC, RIO, COP, PCP, NRG, FCX, RIMM, ICE. All got beaten up badly today. Did they deserve it or did they get tossed out with the bath water?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erik, you too eh? I'm down about $12K on AAPL and $2000 on HOG and $1500 on AMAT... do you foresee more bad news for AAPL?
Old 07-24-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Ouch, down $12K?

I'd wait till after earnings and if it's down again, buy more. Sell HOG and hold AMAT. You're only down on paper and unless you're heavily leveraged it doesn't count. AMAT is good, you're a quarter too early I think. Hang on, it will work its way back, IMHO. HOG depends on debt financing so will suffer for a while. AAPL is solid gold, it just had really high expectations. It's trading where it should be right now, that's why I think those high expectations are now out of the price. I'm not expecting a blowout quarter from AAPL. I suspect Mac sales will be in line and the iPod sales will disappoint. There isn't enough iPhone revenue to matter in this quarter. It just goes to show how unrealistic they were if 5% of the price was based on performance in the last 30 hours of the quarter. Anyone with half a brain would know that makes no sense. Now that an expected $500 billion of profit in the first 30 hours of iPhone sales is out of the price I think we're good to go.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by cthree,Jul 19 2007, 08:43 PM
Please explain how ICE is more risky now than it was at $125.... I looked high and low for mention of the risk/reward setup you speak of but can't find any mention of it anywhere.

The fact the price moved from $125 to $160 is a positive signal that the stock is actually worth $215 (your numbers not mine). Crossing $160 takes out the previous high set back in march, a bullish technical indicator.

Taking out $160 in technical terms sets a new support level under the stock at $160... Technical traders would consider it's current price the most justifiable price at which to buy it for the next leg up. It's considered a momentum trade. If you go by the chart as some do you could say that ICE will leg up to a price of $195 from here (a level equal to the amount of the last selloff, 35 points. In percentage terms it's certainly less than the move from $125 to $160 but its better than

Anyway you keep referring to this magical, mythical, all knowing, all seeing "risk/reward setup" which I'd really like to understand and would love for you to educate me on because I'd love to "plug in" all my prospective trades to it.
LMAO This is exactly what I mean by risk/reward... you DONT buy a stock when its up 35% without significant pullbacks, especially as the general market looks shaky. Now look at it... 18% off of its highs. I actually still wouldn't buy it here... $142-143 is the next good entry. I hope that anybody that took CThree's buy call at $160 kept some money on the sidelines to get a GOOD risk/reward entry.

BTW although the stock I recommended a week ago has had a hard past week its up 10% today on no news when the indices are down ~2%. Thats what I call strength.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Administrator

You have a lot to say for someone who isn't here anymore.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Administrator

It's not all bad news today:

Amazon.com Inc.'s profit more than tripled, boosted by strong sales in North America and demand for electronics products. The online retailer also raised its financial outlook, and shares jumped more than 15% after hours.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by cthree,Jul 24 2007, 02:20 PM
You have a lot to say for someone who isn't here anymore.
Hehe, I just gotta brag when I'm told I'm wrong and I'm right. Don't worry, I'll only be back if the stock makes a U-turn at 142-143

Quick Reply: Official Let's Make Some Money Off Stocks Thread...