Money and Investing Discuss stock picks, portfolios, retirement and other investment related topics.

Pot stocks

Old 03-17-2014, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pot stocks

I very recently got into trading. I've kinda been doing it on the side and have been doing alright so far. Anyways I was wondering if anyone else has been investing in any of these medical marijuana companies that are sprouting up. I have bought into a couple so far with one being up over 80% in a month and looking strong with very high volume. However I am still very new to trading and was wondering what some of the more experienced people on this forum think about this relatively new sector. I'm just looking for any input and hopefully get a discussion going on what to expect with these companies in the near future. I personally believe that this industry is only getting started and has a long way to go as more states are decriminalizing/legalizing and the feds are slowly lifting bans (such as the banking ban for legal marijuana dispensaries/businesses).

The company I am referring to that I purchased some shares of is Growlife Inc. (PHOT). I know there are a ton more which is why I am seeing what others have been looking at and why.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

lots of upside for the right companies......

it's gonna be HUGE. the genie is out of the bottle.

legal in all 50 states by 2020?

http://marijuanastocks.com/content/l...rijuana-stocks
Old 03-19-2014, 04:49 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Obama is trying to get them access to banking. Trouble is, there are a few laws standing in the way and I can't imagine congress will be willing to change them.

http://money.cnn.com/video/news/2014...?iid=V_Taboola
Old 03-19-2014, 01:39 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Yeah I think it should definitely be on the radar for future prospects, but until this "trial period" is over and it’s no longer a Federal issue, which I think will happen (though still no guarantee) it won’t develop into full fruition. I’m a bit at odds with how I feel about this though, on the one aspect its progress/liberation for millions of people to self medicate, but the flip side is it will likely just become an eventual more big business divulging into the medical field for profiteering, which is currently been a big problem in the synthetic drug arena. And I don’t want to support that aspect of it.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:29 PM

I've been watching PHOT, MJNA and a few others for over a year.
Of course I wish I'd gotten in when they were much, much lower but I stayed out because this isn't investing...it's gambling.

Roll the dice, take your chances.
I hope you score big.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 AM

Wow -- talk about timing.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2141...r-the-industry

Looks like PHOT has been frozen by the feds.
If I were in your shoes, I'd have a SELL order standing for the SECOND the feds unfreeze it.

Sheesh, that's exactly what I was talking about.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:15 PM

Yes, this has happened to several companies over the past few weeks that are in the "pot" sector. The result of every freeze has been a huge drop when it resumes trading. My investment in PHOT was already relatively small so I already know what I'm in for and don't really mind seeing it tank for a bit. In fact, I was planning on adding to it once I feel that the time is right since shares will cost a good bit less. I still feel that this is only the beginning for SOME of these companies and I am looking at companies that look like they have a future in the long-term. If anything I see this as a good thing since alot of these companies had very over-valued share prices which could not be justified by their balance sheets, which is part of the reason the SEC is doing this.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:23 PM

Yeah, I'm curious if there's a play for PHOT once it's available again...either as a short or after it gets crushed for the rebound...