Muppets The corner of the UK & Ireland where muppetry happens. Totally off topic, word association, useless stuff and general messing about.

Favourite Roundabouts

Old 10-01-2003, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favourite Roundabouts

A14 / A140 intersection

Nice line from Needham towards Ipswich. If no traffic you can get a really good run at the A14.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:55 AM

A14/A140 My favourite
But the other direction, coming from Ipswich, turn off round the roundabout in 2nd, flat out on the Diss/Norwich exit and max it all the way through the bends on the dual carriageway until the 50 limit
Only have 100 odd miles to warm up the engine before I get there!
Family live on the Bungay side of Diss
Old 10-01-2003, 11:08 AM

Mines the roundabout travelling on the A414(?) from St Albans just before it reaches the A1M. It's an extended one with two roundabouts & good visibility - very satisfying to get it right.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=5...&multimap.y=246

Sometimes I neglected to account for the fact that I've been driving Tracey's sensible FWD car, and have had a couple of brown pants moments with understeer.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:12 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Magic Roundabout in Swindon, 5 roundabouts making up one large mother of all roundabouts, very good fun to drive round.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Rob M
A14/A140 My favourite
But the other direction, coming from Ipswich, turn off round the roundabout in 2nd, flat out on the Diss/Norwich exit and max it all the way through the bends on the dual carriageway until the 50 limit
Only have 100 odd miles to warm up the engine before I get there!
Family live on the Bungay side of Diss
Hey! That's MY roundabout :handsonhipsinprotectiveyetnotthreateningwhileinno waygaypose:

I do not usually get to drive the Ipswich to wards Diss direction, but regularly do the Ipswich into Needham - which has the added fun of a tightening corner as you exit the roundabout itself. Not had a "no traffic" run at this for a long time, sadly, but next time you are passing from Diss towards Ipswich I recommend you do the full 270 degree and you will see what I mean about the exit from the roundabout onto the A14.

The exit off the A14 one junction further west into Stowmarket is good too, if you are approaching from Bury St Edmunds.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:53 AM

I'll wave if I ever see an MCB around there
Old 10-02-2003, 04:35 AM

Do the Stowmarket one every morning, if its the one just after the BP garage at the Haughley bends. Shame its usually in the beater car though!
Old 10-02-2003, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by baptistsan
Do the Stowmarket one every morning, if its the one just after the BP garage at the Haughley bends. Shame its usually in the beater car though!
No - not immediatly after the BP garage that takes you past the amenity tip area; go on to the next exit - the one that takes you past Tesco and down to the ICI plant. Nice wide exit, but interestingly tight to make it fun.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:26 AM

Hey Chris thats my fav as well - i am always finding an excuse to drive to St. Albans from Hatfield that way.......its great in the dry....can be a bit hairy in the wet !!!

I had a run in with an S-type Jag there a few weeks ago....he was in front of me, and we were pushing along pretty hard, but he wouldn't pull over, I had a great laugh when the Jag went wallowing round the 1st roundabout and nearly lost it.....i overtook him on the next straight and showed him how it should be done on the 2nd roundabout !!!!!! :-)

Simon
Old 10-02-2003, 07:46 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris Type R
Mines the roundabout travelling on the A414(?) from St Albans just before it reaches the A1M. It's an extended one with two roundabouts & good visibility - very satisfying to get it right.

Quick Reply: Favourite Roundabouts