New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Car cover question

Old 12-04-2003, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car cover question

Unfortunately it looks like I am without the use of a garage this winter so my S will have to be outside . I looked into winter storage and found a place a couple of miles away from me but they want $197 a month I don't want to pay that for the next 5 months. So I am thinking about getting a car cover but everyone keeps telling me car covers are great if your gonna keep the car in a garage but if you leave it outside the wind is gonna be slapping the cover against your paint which will lead to scrathes and swirls. Is this true? I have to imagane in this day and age there are covers that are soft enough where that will not be a problem. Any incites would be appreciated.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:10 PM

You might want to post this in the Wash & Wax forum.

At the recommendation of many board members, I just got a Covercraft Weathershield custom-cut for the S2K, and I'm very happy with it. It seems to provide great protection, and it's very easy to put on and remove, and it folds up very small for storage in my trunk. It doesn't seem to be doing anything bad to my paint.

The idea of a cover slapping against paint and leaving scratches and swirls sounds like paranoid crap to me. Either that, or maybe the very first car covers 60 years ago did that, and people still perpetuate it, kinda like "contact lenses are bad for your eyes" or "Wintel computers are cheaper than Macs" etc. etc.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:58 PM

I agree with the above. Whatever you do for a car-cover, do not get the Honda S2K cover. This is a "Dust cover" only and is meant to be used indoors if the car was garaged. Since youre keeping her outside, go with the Covercraft cover. They make covers for all sorts of vehicles that are a perfect fit and they have been around for a long time with a good reputation. Also, if i remember correctly they make 3-4 different types of covers, for indoors and outdoor use specifically. And dont worry about the cover scratching the paint, i too belive thats just a bunch of hype. I would remove the cover every now and then after rain/snow to dry her off and keep as much moisture off of her.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:11 AM

hey look car cover ads on the bottom of the post.

I would suggest covercraft or the noah product. I think I have the covercraft one.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by PortugueseS2K
And dont worry about the cover scratching the paint, i too belive thats just a bunch of hype. I would remove the cover every now and then after rain/snow to dry her off and keep as much moisture off of her.
I agree. However, make sure that your car is clean, and free of dirts/dusts before you put a cover on. As PortugueseS2K mentioned, I also take the cover off after heavy rain/snow in order to keep the paint clean from water marks and etc.. Also, you should get a cable to hold the cover in place (so that the wind doesn't blow it away).
Old 12-05-2003, 01:09 PM

California Car cover makes some of the best ones out there. They can make custom covers for any vehicle. My dad had one made for his Z. He stores in in his back yard under the deck with the cover on. Did this the last two years and has had no problems. I forget their webpage, but should be an easy search.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:12 PM

I got the Honda S2000 cover which I just put on 5 minutes ago. I will store the car in the garage and the SUV goes outside.

They make a cable with a lock that you can place on after the cover is on to "tighen" the cover against the car, if you store the car outside. There are 2 holes low by the doors and the cable which is vinyl covered goes through the holes under the car. This should prevent wind from blowing the cover off or moving it around.

Clean the car first fom sand or dust, then you should be protected unless something heavy hits the car, keep the car away from branches or ice that can fall on the car.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the incites and responses it looks like ill en up going with covercraft.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For outdoor protection you can not beat the weathershield or the noah fabric. Covercraft patterns are used by many companies and they really are just about the best for fitting the car like a glove. You might want to check out www.autoanything.com

One last thing, I can not emphasize enough the value of keeping the cover clean! When the cover gets wet and the wind blows the dirt in the air will stick to the cover. Some covers actually let a bit of moisture through and when that happens the dirt soaks through the material and comes in contact with the car. And yes, a really dirty cover will scratch your car, but I do mean really dirty.

My suggestion is once a year, I do it in the spring, I take the cover down to the laundromat and wash it - wash it without soap and do not put it in the dryer when done. I say laundromat because you want to use one of those huge industrial size machines that is good for something like 5 loads of cloths you would get in a home machine. I usually fold the cover so the outside is outside and wash it. Then I pull it out, turn it inside out and wash it again. This is a pain; but then again I only do it once a year.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:02 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS CLEAN BEFORE PUTTING A CAR COVER ON, AND ONLY PUT IT ON A CLEAN, DUST-FREE CAR IF YOU WANT TO AVOID SCRATCHES!!!!

Just as it's better to leave the car dirty than wash it aggressively, and scratching the finish. Most scratches are from improper washing techniques.

Quick Reply: Car cover question