New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Dragon all done?

Old 08-06-2007, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragon all done?

I am really glad I went to the dragon when I did. Apparently the TN highway patrol and the sheriff's have stepped up patrols to curb the fatalities that have been plaguing the dragon due to asshat drivers.

No shenanigans are allowed now and there are up to 14 cruisers at a time on the dragon. The guy who runs Deal's Gap is wicked pissed off and crying foul. Obviousl because he is concerned with losing buisness and not because of the fatalities. In one line on his site, he bragged how there had been no fatalities in 11 months. Wow, long time

I must admit that even though I had a great time ripping out on the dragon and was planning on coming back in the spring, I don't know how they allowed that type of ripping out for so long on that road. Most driver's can keep in their lanes, but if you are humming along and some fool is in your lane, you are toast.

Oh well, like I said, I am glad I was at least able to experience it before it got shut down.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:54 AM

Wow! It looked like alot of fun, sorry I didn't get to do it. Some people just don't know when to back off a little on the fun in order to stay alive, or keep your car in one smooth piece

I was checking out the Mid Ohio board recently and they just did a tour on Route 26 which they are pegging as "the Dragon of the north" - or something like that. I'm thinking about going out to that next year. We have relatives there and maybe I could fit in a drive at the Mid Ohio track
Old 08-06-2007, 08:44 AM

Oh, no, say it aint so.......
After having some folks say the Cabot Trail is much like the Dragon, I was looking forward to taking a trek out to the tail. Maybe by next year it will be more 'clear'. We shall see.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They let us speed as long as we stay in our lane. Are they not allowing that anymore? In some stretches, we can stay within speed limit but can still considered reckless driving by normal standard - would they take you for that as well?

They are cracking down on my local fun roads as well...
Old 08-06-2007, 09:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be upset if its closed. My sister lives relatively close to the dragon and I was going to haul the S down there at some point so I could do it.

Grrrrr
Old 08-06-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can still drive it - just not like a speed demon
Old 08-06-2007, 09:59 AM

From what I understand, the show is over if they keep the heavy presence they are doing now.

After attending the dragon, an speaking to alot of people who have been there many times, there is no other road that compares to it anywhere. Someone tried to say that the mohawk was like the dragon once
Old 08-06-2007, 10:20 AM

It would be hard to beat 29 curves per mile. The only shortcoming on the Dragon the way I see it is that it is only 11 miles long.
Someday I will get out there.
For now the Cabot Trail will have to be the best road ever. The twisties, and the climbs and drops combined with the scenery and the fact that it took us almost 10 hours to drive, with all the stops makes for an amazing driving day.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass,Aug 6 2007, 01:59 PM
you can still drive it - just not like a speed demon
Travel it, yes of course I realize that.

But "drive" it. Well I guess that is no more.

I can't justify a 12 hour drive for some slow speed curves.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 PM

From reading the Deals Gap website, it seems to me that there is a heavy police presence on weekends when the crowds are there. Maybe weekdays will still be ok?

Quick Reply: Dragon all done?