New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Engine Oil Level

Old 07-12-2001, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Oil Level

Hey... don't tell me to do the serch...!!
I know that I should have enough engine oil to the mid of dipstick's oil measurement...!! which is around 2.5 X~ However, I did not realiaze that till today that my oil ran out that much..!! (I used another 1 and half quart of engine oil to make it 2.5 x at the dipstick's measurement..!!) However, I just wondering.... do you think that hurts engine since oil burned out that fast.. and I did not realize that for a while... ????? And, for non-synthetic oil, which one you guys recommanded? I had Mobile oil (well Honda-Mobile oil) and I have Castrol now... should I stick with Castrol or there is other better oil for small engine like ours? Cuz I am soon gonna do the oil change...!! so, let me know..!!
Old 07-12-2001, 02:42 PM

And also, I thought the burn-off-oil thing only happened at the first 7000 miles... Am I wrong with it?
Old 07-12-2001, 03:10 PM

Derrick,
Depending upon how you drive the car, I would get in the habit of checking your oil every 300 miles or so. Even though your car has reached the point (10,000 miles) where it should not be burning oil, it still can depending upon how hard it is driven.
You had to add 1.5 quarts of oil to get it back up to half way between the Add and Full marks? That would indicate your oil was below the Add mark by about 1 quart of oil, meaning you had about 3 quarts left in your oil pan and filter. As long as you werent taking high g corners for an extended period of time, nor running the engine constantly in Vtec, your engine should be fine, since there was probably enough oil left for your oil pump to circulate the oil.
By the way, were you still able to Vtec before you added the oil? That would be a good sign if you were able to do so. Another thing to be wary of, I have noticed this particular car is exremely sensitive to oil level changes when checking the oil on a non-level ground. While in Montreal this past weekend, I checked my oil in front of the hotel, which I knew was ever so slightly off-level, and the dipstick indicated that I should add about 3/4 of a quart of oil. I didnt add any knowing the reading was false. When I got home and checked the level in my garage (level ground), the oil was only down about 2 x's (in 1,000 mile of driving). Point being to make sure you checked your oil on a very level ground.
One final point, make sure you check the oil either first thing in the a.m., or after having waited a good amount of time after driving the car.
Oh, by the way, it seems everyone has highly recommended Mobil 1 Synthetic when you are ready to do your switch from conventional oil.
Old 07-12-2001, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Derrick, don't use Castrol... no good! trust me.

Use Mobil 1...
Old 07-12-2001, 06:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HopkintonMA
[B]Derrick,
Old 07-12-2001, 06:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nimbus
[B]Derrick, don't use Castrol...
Old 07-12-2001, 06:55 PM

[B]Derrick,
Old 07-12-2001, 06:57 PM

Oh!! forget to tell you!!
I did not check the engine oil since last time I changed it.. ( about 6200 miles....) so, I don't know if this is any good..!! oh!! I should change my oil soon!! any suggestion? I don't race, but I am ok to use red line oil!! any idea?? or Mobile one will just do good?
Old 07-12-2001, 07:05 PM

Derrick,
All I can say is you are reallly really really really lucky you only used as much oil as you did without checking it in that many miles!!!! I guess I will just have to remind you to check it more often
Castrol non-synthetic is fine until you switch to synthetic, then use Mobil 1 I guess....thats what I will be using.
Old 07-12-2001, 07:09 PM

[B]Derrick,

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Level