New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Fuel Stabilizer

Old 11-06-2002, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Stabilizer

have any of you used a fuel stabilizer when storing your S2000's? the salesman at AutoZone recommended i use Sta-Bil to stop the formation of gum and varnish. i figured i would ask the experts before putting it in.
thanks,
jeff
Old 11-06-2002, 01:45 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I use it on my boat!
Old 11-07-2002, 02:54 AM

no need to just run it every other week
Old 11-07-2002, 10:13 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

How long do you plan to leave the car sitting there? If it's only a few months, then don't bother, just have the tank full to start with and use a brand name gas (not one of those "discount gas" places).
Starting the car up while in storage is a controversial procedure. After an engine sits for more than a few days, much of the oil has left your engine's metal surfaces. We all know that even the first start of each day causes THE most wear on the engine. Imagine after a couple weeks, when most of the metal surfaces are void of oil, what the engine goes through. I'm of the feeling that once you've put your car away for it's winter sleep, leave it alone and only start it up when spring comes and you're ready to drive it again. Although it's hard to believe and some may not, I've read (yeah, yeah, I know, we all read something somewhere, don't we?) that a cold, dry start is like putting on 500 miles of wear on an engine.
Of course, what you do, is up to you. If you are putting the car to bed for a while, you should search out some of the threads on here regarding what to do in preparation for storage. There is lots of great advice here on this subject. I believe "OhioRacer" has compiled a very nice list of things to do (based on all the info gathered on this forum) and he is willing to PM this list to anyone who asks for it.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Xviper and I have been storing my summer toys for more than a decade. Once the car goes in, it does not get started until spring.

I do not use a stabilizer in the cars; they usually sit for 4.5 months untouched. I have never had a problem; they always start great and run fine. I do run a fuel injector cleaner rather strong on the first tank of gas in the spring though.

I have found however that my '85 Honda 650 Nighthawk is more sensitive. I suspect it is the old carburetor technology rearing its ugly head. I have used a stabilizer in that for the last few years and it is hard to say if it helped, maybe. Bottom line, the first start in the spring and the bike is not thrilled about starting.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:02 PM
Ted

I use it on my boat as well, used to use it on my motorcycles...
Probably will take XViper's advice.
Old 11-07-2002, 02:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Triple-H
I have found however that my '85 Honda 650 Nighthawk is more sensitive. I suspect it is the old carburetor technology rearing its ugly head. I have used a stabilizer in that for the last few years and it is hard to say if it helped, maybe. Bottom line, the first start in the spring and the bike is not thrilled about starting.
A bit off the topic but, funny you mentioned this. I have had the same experience as you. It's almost like motorcycles pray to a different God or something. I've had this same experience with both carbed and injected bikes. That first start of the spring is a "doozy". I thought maybe it was because the bike was on its sidestand (leaned over) but it didn't matter whether I parked it for the winter on the sidestand or the main stand. The first spring start, the bike did the "Humpty Dumpty" - you know what I mean? "humpity dumpity, humpity dumpity ............. " Then, after the first ride, it was smooth again.