New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Kenta's garage upgrade

Old 04-13-2013, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kenta's garage upgrade

So last year I moved from a condo to a house. I just had too many car parts laying around. Now most of them sit in my garage. And the best part of having my own shop is that I can actually work on stuff. Since moving in I've already done a dozen or so misc jobs and was spending a lot of time on the ground and it sucked, so I upgraded the garage with a Bendpak MD-6XP mid-rise scissor lift:

My car is a little low so I need ramps to get on it, but before the summer's out I plan on renting a concrete saw, pouring a new slab slightly recessed for a flush look. For now some lumber does the trick:

It doesn't go full walk-under height, but the perfect height for standing and working on brakes or suspension. Man, in the last 6 months I worked on 7 different sets of brakes. I could have used this thing.

Oil drain plug is easily accessible. I have a low rolling seat that I sit on, roll under and roll out.

Transmission is accessible but probably not wise idea to try to pull one for a clutch. Working on clutch delay valve shouldn't be an issue though.

Rear diff fluid changes should be easy!

Looks like dropping a diff should be possible too.

Another shot of the differential access:

So far I've only done a few jobs on it. Two oil changes and removed and replaced a front bumper. It seems like a decent compromise to having a full size lift. I debated going with a MaxJax but I didn't know if my slab would support it and I didn't want to lose the space to the left or right since my garage is a tight two car as it is. With regular two post style lifts it would turn it into a car and half garage.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet. How much did it cost?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:01 AM

Vry nice, execpt now I'm thinking about adding this to my garage.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 AM

Yes! I was looking at one of these. How tall is your ceiling?

I'm curious how much this all cost. Air compressor and lift together.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Green with envy!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by jojipoji
Sweet. How much did it cost?
$2075 shipped from ASEDeals.com. The price is 1915 on the site, but when you tack on residential deliver and lift gate service it's $2075. On top of that you'll need 6 quarts of transmission fluid for the hydraulic pump, so tack on another 35 bucks. In my case I also paid someone to move my garage door motor and tracks up to get a little more height. That was another $550. So so far it's been a $2,660 dollar project. So a little pricy for garage tools, but I figure I'm going to use it on a regular basis.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by RedSunS2K
Yes! I was looking at one of these. How tall is your ceiling?

I'm curious how much this all cost. Air compressor and lift together.
Just posted the cost info. No air compressor involved. There's a motor that pumps hydraulic fluid (In this case ATF fluid) that runs off an electric pump with the raise and lower controls. The pump runs right off a standard outlet.

As for height, my garage up to the rafters it's 9 feet 9 inches. And the garage door opener motor is 8 feet 10 inches from the floor. This is a mid-rise lift so it doesn't go very high, but, high enough for me to get my tallest car, a Honda element to the highest lock position:

(My brother there...)

You need an extra inch of clearance after the lock clicks in then lower it down on the safety. Large cars are a little tight, but the S has plenty of room up top. I wish it did got 6 inches higher, but hey. It works for what I want it to do.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice Kenta. I have been going back and forth about lift options for a while now... this seems like something to consider even more now...
Old 04-14-2013, 04:41 PM

Ok, so you cant stop at any height you desire?
Old 04-14-2013, 05:16 PM

It has three safety locks you can stop the lift at, so I guess three heights. While it could be possible to stop the lift at any position, I would never get under it being supported by the hydraulics alone.

Quick Reply: Kenta's garage upgrade