New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Modifying your RC S2000?

Old 12-30-2002, 09:20 AM
Community Organizer

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Modifying your RC S2000?

I want to pep up my RC car. Can I hook up a 9V battery inside that baby instead of the 2 AAA batteries? Or is that gonna just blow out the motor? I want to get some EXTRA juice in there to speed up that motor and maybe make it last longer. Any ideas?
Old 12-30-2002, 09:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gimme some more info...are the AAAs rechargable? If not, they put out 1.5V a piece for an even 3.0V. Putting a 9V battery is possible, but I wouldn't recommend it..although it WILL run much faster...for a short time. Don't expect to get a longer lasting motor when increasing its power...the same rules apply to that tiny motor as do engines...more power = less reliability. Try adding in a third AAA for starters, but remember, that's pushing more current through the motor windings which will decrease its life expectancy (by how much will depend on how well-designed the motor was to begin with).

Just as with the engines, you could also try changing the gearing...I'm sure those motors have plenty of torque, so that's not an issue. We're not timing 0-60 here, since in scale terms, that's almost instantaneous with these little monsters. Change to a taller gear ratio and you'll get a higher top speed (which with the near-instantaneous acceleration of these little guys, you'll see the car as just plain faster).
Old 12-30-2002, 09:54 AM
Community Organizer

Well I had in there just the plain crap Kirckland batteries.

We ran that puppy for like well over an hour 1/2 straight!!! No issues. I will look into putting in a 3rd batterie and see how it reacts. Its a simple RC car I am not gonna try playing with such small parts. I would probably F*** it up and not use it at all!

If the motor blows I will probably look at getting a better one.

Thanks for the info. I figured a 9V would be a bit much!!! Though wasn't sure if there was a regulator in there to keep the Voltage from going to high...................or am I just over thinking their engineering into a sub $30 RC car?
Old 12-30-2002, 05:08 PM

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,468 Posts

ricing up the ol' RC eh??
Old 12-30-2002, 05:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next time you're in town, or if we get together to search out the donut-driving putz, bring it along and I'll take a quick look at it. While it's certainly possible there's a regulator, I doubt it since there's no reason to put one in except to overengineer it...batteries aren't known for creating voltage spikes, if you get my drift, and the regulator would just add an additional drain. Moving to a 9V battery would triple the current through the motor, and it's probably not designed for that. You can get plastic gears online of all sizes and ratios, so that may actually be your easiest upgrade.
Old 12-30-2002, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get extra battery life you can adapt it to take larger cells, like C cells. To make it run faster you will need to add an extra cell in series (+-+-+-).

Substituting a pair of larger cells won't make it run any faster but will make it act like it has new batteries for a lot longer. I have done this many times and it has always worked out well.

Adding an extra cell in series will raise the initial voltage from 3.0 to 4.5 VDC. It is unlikely that anything will get damaged with this sort of increase, although if it does it's a good excuse to buy a new more enjoyable unit...

Kind Regards, Chris
Old 12-31-2002, 12:39 PM
Community Organizer

Getting now just under 6V It does donuts like MAD!!!!!!!!!!!! Flips over easily too.(on carpet) On the bare floor it does donuts all over the place!!!

Now it could use some higher gearing. Just a quick black electrical tape mod.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:00 PM

Wow, those are some big wires -- no voltage drop there!

Have Fun, and Happy New Year.

Kind Regards, Chris
Old 12-31-2002, 01:20 PM
Community Organizer

Ok decided on just 1! 2 was just WAY to much juice for that little car!!!!!!!!! Its just some 16 aug wire I think.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:23 PM

Jim, you can get higher revving motor do a motor swap of some sort!

DaRKCrow

Quick Reply: Modifying your RC S2000?