New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Track Night in America

Old 04-20-2018, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Night in America

Anybody thinking of participating in the Track Night in America on May 3rd at Palmer Motorsports Park?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts

I tried to sign up for the Lime Rock event for late May and couldn't complete the entry due to convertible. Supposedly only 2006 or later S2000s eligible. Go for it lad, sign up and report back.

This event, however, is not on my radar as I hope to be "racing" on May 4 & 5 - er, well, at least breaking in the engine.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:22 AM

I did participate in Track Night in America at Palmer Motorsports Park on May 3rd. I have a MY 2001 S2000 and there didn't seem to be a problem in regard to no roll bar or the height of the driver in regard to a broomstick test.

I did over hear a comment regarding an issue of model years of S2000's at lime rock. Do you mean that 2006 and model years before 2006 can run at lime rock?

What caused the difference?

Thanks,
Old 05-07-2018, 08:36 AM

I don't know of any issue running the stock S2000 at Lime Rock as I have done it many times with SCDA and NASA-NE. I've also run the stock S2000 at Thompson, Watkins Glen, Palmer, New Hampshire Motor Speedway and maybe Pocono - so often it is the organizers of the event, not the track. New Jersey and VIR might have issues with the stock S2000, I'm just not sure.

How did your track night go? Do provide details and photos if you have any.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:41 AM

Hi Bluesprey90,
Fun afternoon, more cares passed me than I passed, but it is a learning experience. I have two S2000's both are MY 2001 and both with low mileage, the one that I took to the track has close to 27K miles, they both stay in the garage a lot. Last summer I drove a total of 8k between the two.
Last Thursday it rained once I arrived at the track in Palmer and was sprinkling when we took our first laps in the novice group. The second and third sessions were clear of rain and with the other groups on the track the pavement was dry. I think that I'm close in speed with some of the faster drivers in the corners, but I am not accelerating as much in the straights, which I'm fine with.

Just like to add that I have enjoyed your postings and what you go through for your vintage racing.

Will
Old 05-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Will, On the assumption that you might be a true novice, did they offer any instruction, and if so, what did it consist of?

I'm glad you appreciate my vintage stuff. I'm reliving the youth I never had. Just trying to have some fun.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:42 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Will, On the assumption that you might be a true novice, did they offer any instruction, and if so, what did it consist of?

I'm glad you appreciate my vintage stuff. I'm reliving the youth I never had. Just trying to have some fun.
If I may interject, I think that's the downside of SCCA TNiA, there is VERY little instruction. A quick driver meeting, a lead follow session and you're out on track. That's what I observed at the 2 TNiA event I attended.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:25 AM

That is what I observed as well.

From driving that day, due to the rain and the track drying where all the drivers are entering and exiting turns I found that I was pretty much on the same line as others. I guess that I am not ready to take the car to its limits or mine currently. I think that the RPMs were mostly between 5k and 6k using third and fourth gear, other than on the straight away.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:26 PM

Because it is so technical, I imagine that Palmer would be very, very difficult and intimidating to run without actual in car instruction. Plus no room for error!

I ran it several times in the MGA before I felt somewhat comfortable - my comfort also involved swapping out the differential for some shorter gearing. But when I ran it with the S last spring, I was rather humiliated by my poor driving - mostly related to mis-selection of gears.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:58 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
If I may interject, I think that's the downside of SCCA TNiA, there is VERY little instruction. A quick driver meeting, a lead follow session and you're out on track. That's what I observed at the 2 TNiA event I attended.
They pretty much want you to get a taste of it and then pursue your license.

Quick Reply: Track Night in America