New Mexico and West Texas New Mexico and West Texas S2000 Owners.

HELP. my car isn't running right.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the spark plugs are super important to have the correct torque on. If you're lucky, the broken part of the plug just passed through the valves and may have shot out through the exhaust, or possibly dropped into the oil pan. Might want to check the pan to be safe. Hopefully it didn't do any damage to the piston domes, but a good compression test is a positive sign.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:14 AM

We actually got a scope and looked inside the cylinder to make sure that the piston head, cylinder walls, and valves were ok. Everything seemed to be just fine. I ordered a new coil pack today and bought new oem NGK plugs yesterday. So I guess we shall see in a week or so when the coil pack gets here.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:03 PM

DDDAAAAAAMMMNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

glad nothing else was wrong Will!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:23 PM

I just saw the picture. Holy shit.

I would have the wiring to the coils checked to make sure you are runnint the right amount of power.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:18 PM

I put the new coil pack on, new plugs. gapped em to factory specs. I drove it for a few hours and now its got a horrendous ticking noise that sounds like valves? I fear the worst...bent valves or more. Now it resides back in the same spot in the garage. broken again...
Old 03-30-2010, 08:18 PM

It might be your TCT (timing chain tensioner). Hopefully it is just that.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Raven628,Mar 30 2010, 08:18 PM
It might be your TCT (timing chain tensioner). Hopefully it is just that.
you were right the first time around about it being the coil packs. so hopefully that is just it. I know I'm in need of a valve adjustment since I believe it's never been done on my car before (right at 35k miles now)

I pulled all the new plugs and coils and checked em. torqued the plugs to 18 ft/lbs as per honda. nothing seemed to be abnormally bad when I did that.. I also read that if it's internal to try unplugging each coil one by one and seeing if the noise is reduced then you know you have a bad cylinder. Didn't do anything. noise was still there. the more and more I read it sounds like it needs a valve adjustment and TCT. I even found a few youtube videos of a bad TCT and it sounds similar to what problem I'm having. Anyone have a mechanic or individual they'd recommend to do this, or even just look at it, besides stealership, who will charge an arm and leg? I'm willing to pay as long as it's not a half ass job. I want it done right the first time. NO CEL's light has come on yet either. thanks everyone for your help.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:38 PM

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNmHh0_UhZg [/media]&feature=related

^^this is the noise pretty much that it seems to be making.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:16 AM

The chain tensioner is actually pretty easy to do Will. They are just abnormally expensive for such a simple part. It should take you no more than 10 minutes to do. I think Hardtop Guy has some of the best prices on the TCT. If you need directions, let me know...
Old 03-31-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by otbs2k,Mar 31 2010, 04:16 AM
The chain tensioner is actually pretty easy to do Will. They are just abnormally expensive for such a simple part. It should take you no more than 10 minutes to do. I think Hardtop Guy has some of the best prices on the TCT. If you need directions, let me know...
I'd give you a hand, but I am out of the country; for a while.

go to hardtopguy.com Jeff usually has these items in stock. The TCT is usually between 100, and 150.

It sits underneath the vtec soleniod. It takes to bolts, both 10mm to remove. You also take the allen nut on the left side out (facing the motor) so you can remove the pin holding the TCT together. If you take this pin out before you put it in, it is a bitch to reset.

The TCT goes in really easy, once in place you pull the pin. Then replace allen nut. If I remember correctly the allen nut is a size 6mm.

As for the valve adjustment, if you have never done one find a place or someone to do it. If not done correctly, over tighten, the car wont start.

Quick Reply: HELP. my car isn't running right.