New Mexico and West Texas New Mexico and West Texas S2000 Owners.

HELP. my car isn't running right.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered a new TCT today. Hopefully that's the problem solved.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by 03evolution,Mar 31 2010, 09:03 PM
Ordered a new TCT today. Hopefully that's the problem solved.
From what you are talking about it should.

Are you going to do it yourself, or have someone help you? It should be easy, but depending on what you know about the car is different for everyone.

I know about these things becasue they have happened to me at one time, or just have had the whole motor apart and assisted in the build and learned a lot.

If you have ever adjusted valves you have to put the motor at tap dead center.

Those lines have to line up perfectly to start the valve adjustment. You can line this up by turning the crank pulley. (Clockwse). Then you turn it to where you can adjust the other sets of valves, usually when you turn the crank half way over.

The valves need a 10 mm socket and a screw driver with valve shims so you can have the clearence needed. If I remember correctly .10 on the intake, and .08 on the exhaust. WARNING, overtightening valves will not allow your car to start.

Hopefully one of the other guys with expierence can chime in.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:47 AM

The valve clearances are on the hood... can't double check for you, no S2K.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:37 PM

I'm sure I can do the TCT myself. Looks easy according to the How-tos. But the valve adjustment I will probably have done by a reputable shop, or individual. I called the dealership and they wanted something rediculous like 300 bucks to do it. I feel like a retard. I know mustangs and evos like the back of my hand, but this whole Honda thing is new to me. Haha. Can anyone chime in on a place they'd recommend to do a valve adjustment that does a good job and won't empty my pocket book like the dealership would?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Anybody should be able to do it with about an hours worth of labor, $300 is a raping... give Andy at Racefab a call, he can do it no problem.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:33 PM

so today I did a valve adjustment myself. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. still really didn't fix the problem, but some of the valves were a tiny bit out, so now they're alll in spec. I ordered a TCT LAST wednesday and still have yet to see it. Now jeff (hardtopguy) keeps telling me "i'll call you back with your tracking info." I'm starting to think he hasn't even shipped it yet being that my card hasn't even been billed. I'm starting to get VERY annoyed. I want to see if the TCT is the problem, or I fear the worst that its something worse.

for reference, this is EXCATLY how my car sounds. Does that sound like TCT to anyone or could it be worse?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H4EPpsKfOw [/media]&feature=related
Old 04-07-2010, 03:09 PM

When I get off shift I will listen to the vid. I can't do it at work.

As for Jeff (hardtopguy), not trying to defend him, but he gets side tracked with getting things out. I have gotten things within two days, to almost two weeks. Sometimes it is Honda that takes forever to get him the stuff, but with the slow economy he had to take a job to take care of his family.

It should get there soon. The funny thing is that any Honda dealership will not stock wear item parts for the S2K. Most of these items take over a week or more to get. If a dealership even has it, it is because it was ordered and never pickuped, used, or showed up by accident.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:16 PM

I've ordered from him before with no problem. But I couldn't place the order via internet last wednesday because it wouldn't let me log in, so I called him directly to place the order and he was supposed to email me tracking info and all. idk. I've called FOUR times in the last two days, but today he was either out or on the phone. I'll try back in the AM.

The video isn't my car, but pretty much is the SAME noise my car is making. All I hope is that it's nothing major bent valves or worse. It just puzzles me how a bone stock, non abused car can give so much trouble.

edit: I decided to do a leakdown test. When I did it, they were reading pretty good and I couldn't hear any air escaping from the cylinders thru the intake/exhaust manifolds, or the valve cover, etc. so I take that as a good sign. Well actually I couldnt get the tester to thread into the cylinder 3 (the one previously messed up) so tomorrow I'm going to rethread it tomorrow and check that cylinder to make sure. BUT all the other 3 were all consistent with each other.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:04 PM

man that sucks
Old 04-08-2010, 12:20 PM

replaced the TCT today. STILL not the problem Pretty much think I need a new engine now OR rebuild.

Quick Reply: HELP. my car isn't running right.