New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Anyone need dyno time?

Old 09-08-2005, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can make Saturdays but after 1PM. Sundays i'm free.

All i want to know is how much my car is putting down. That's it.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:40 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an FYI, for those volunteering their house. You do realize that your neighbors will call the cops after about the 3rd or 4th pull on that dyno. Think about it logically, for tuning the engine will be under load and consistently putting out noise. For a power pull he'll have to repeatedly take the car to redline. There is absolutely no way this should be held at a residential residence where your neighbor can be within earshot. Trust me, I've seen how the dyno operates and have done plenty of pulls, it's not going to be quiet. There is a reason why dyno operators where ear plugs.

Not trying to ruin it, as I want to get some time on Gilbert's dyno as well, but I hate for him to drive down and we get 4 pulls in and have to call it a day. Meanwhile, we'd still have to pay him since we rented the service for a day, it would not be his fault that we didn't pick a proper location.

The only place this realistically could be held off the top of my head would be at Bill's shop.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:04 AM

Dan : Interesting --obviously none of us had thought of that.

would it be something that could work inside of my garage (with the doors left open) so that much of the noise would be contained ... or do you think that would also not work ??
Old 09-09-2005, 03:07 AM

^ Probably true. Hmm Bill do you have any suggestions? Only reason I'm hesitant on Bill's shop is that its so far especially for Gilbert. That's like a 6 hour drive which means he probably can't stay that late for me! So for his sake, and mine I was hoping for a more central location. If there isn't then I guess we have to settle.

I can wait on the dyno a little bit as I have some things to do installing injectors and electronics.

As for the dyno, it is a dynapack which will be brought to whatever location we pick.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:09 AM

I think the sound resonates even louder in a garage but that could just be me.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by turbo_pwr,Sep 9 2005, 06:40 AM
There is absolutely no way this should be held at a residential residence where your neighbor can be within earshot.
Well that rules out Levittown - I hear it when my neighbors fart.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:29 AM

Does anyone have a business in an industrial area that could host this?
Old 09-09-2005, 03:35 AM
Former Moderator

I just don't think it would work in a residential area. I've done dyno runs at various shops and have been able to hear the sound of the exhaust and engine screaming from at least a quarter mile away. Is your garage concrete/cinder block walls? The door still needs to be left open for the fumes so IMO it wouldn't be enough of a baffle. Of course there is the fact that your garage is pretty far back, maybe they (law enforcement) wouldn't see it. But they'd probably could follow the noise and the 10 S2000s sitting in the driveway is a giveaway.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:00 AM

eliot go ahead and have it .just move up your time to exit to mexico
Old 09-09-2005, 05:50 AM

Received 1,312 Likes on 796 Posts

What is the law really.....is is different then having like buldozers and chainsaws/jackhammers at your house for any given work?

Is there a daytime noise ordinance? Is it different on Sunday?

Quick Reply: Anyone need dyno time?