New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Billman Motion S2000 Repair Thread IV

Old 07-13-2018, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to order one.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:03 AM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by shldnbaker@gmail.com
I'm trying to get my soft top replace on my ap1 please anyone know where I can get it done or who can do it for me asap
Where are you located? I had mine replaced by Jeremy (2poor2mod), he does excellent work and is located in southern Jersey.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:46 AM

Received 1,271 Likes on 775 Posts

^ Ditto.

PM me for Jeremy’s info. He is THE S2000 softtop master, will talk options, and will do it while you wait. Likely the best on the planet.

Last edited by Billman250; 07-14-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:40 AM

Hey Billman,

I was wondering if you had time between August 6 to 8th to do two clutch swaps (MY00 and MY02). A friend and I are considering making a trip down to New York from Toronto if you can squeeze us in.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:47 PM

Hey Billman,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but I seem to be having the dreaded tct problem. Initially the rattling noise was not that bad/noticeable, it was only more noticeable after a 15/20 min drive. I decided to replace the tct with the ballade sport one because EngineeringExplained (a reputable youtube channel) had recommended it and showed to replace it. Keep in mind that this was before I had started reading the reviews on forums and realizing that I could have purchased a better one from you. Anyway, I decided to attempt to replace it myself and I followed all the instructions. I had made sure that when putting the tct in that there was not a lot of resistance ( this part confused me because it seemed that as long as you did not have to use the bolts to pull the tct in, it was not over tightening the timing chain). I used three fingers and I would say about 9lbs of force to get the Ballade sport tct to pop in and lay flush with the engine (I figured that the "popping in" was due to the last o-ring). I was slightly skeptical and so I pulled it out and pushed it in using roughly the same amount of force to reinsert it. There was no gap as far as I could tell between the tct and the block and the tct was able to sit flush without me having to push on it or secure it with bolts. Then i followed the rest of the instructions. (Keep in mind that I did not have a torque wrench and I was kinda estimating how much to tighten down the bolts. I know that this was stupid but I did not tighten the bolts that tight as 9 lb force is not a lot) When I went to start the car up, the tct noise was gone (i think) but there was this squeaking noise that seemed to be coming from the idler pulley bearing. I took a video recording of this but disregarded it as nothing to worry about at the time. Anyway, I drove the car for about say 15/20 mins or so before stopping at a parking lot and waiting 10 mins with the engine off to listen for the tct rattling noise on startup (there was non) and then proceeded to drive home (about another 10mins). When I had gotten home, I decided to put the car in neutral and slowly bring up the RPMs and that is when I noticed the supercharger like whining noise. I think i noticed some sort of whining noise reflecting off the wall while test driving after putting in the ballade sport tct but disregarded it at the time. I eventually looked this up on the forums and read all about how the ballade sport tct can over tighten the timing chain. I immediately removed it and put back the original tct. This went it noticeably easier like using one finger and very little pressure easier. I turned on the car and the whining noise was gone ( there was a little bit of whining noise but just barely audible but i believe that that is normal?) After listening to it run with the original tct back in, I decided to removed the original tct and put the ballade sport tct to test for noise again to compare and see if I was just hearing things. This time around, I could not get the Ballade sport tct ot fit in at all. I double checked that I had the piston retracted all the way and used the wingnut and bolt to hold it but this time it left like a 2-4mm gap. I did not try to force the tct in but I did try to firmly press it in like first time I had installed it but it did not budge. I hand cranked the engine very very slowly and at very small increments at a time like (5 degrees) as instructed in the youtube video but I was still unable to fit the ballade sport tct back in. Instead I gave up and decided to put the original one back in and leave it for now. The tct as of right now is pretty minimal and isn't that loud except for occasional warm starts after a drive. I have not been driving the vehicle for fear of damaging the timing chain guides and ruining the car. To my understanding, the ballade sport tct is designed with a longer piston distance and stronger springs however, this only works if the timing chain has stretched out a substantial amount. I am really unsure of what to do now. I also am not as mechanically inclined or as knowledgeable about engine work as many of you guys are so please go easy on me. Working on the tct felt like open heart surgery already and I am really scared of blowing up the block. I would like to order a tct from you Billman but I just joined and I cannot pm people since new members are on a two week cooldown or something from what I read. Additionally I have video recordings of most everything but I cannot seem to figure out how to upload onto here. I think it is best if I could email you. My email is kbkuan@uci.edu and any help would be appreciated. Again sorry to bother you Billman but as of right now, I do not know who else I can consult or trust that is more knowledgeable about this than you. I live in California but if I had the privilege to visit you in person I would. Anyway, I look forward to your reply and I apologize for being so wordy.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:41 PM

Hey man, looking at getting a TCT from you. What kind of information can I get from you on it bud?
Old 07-24-2018, 01:50 PM

PMs sent
Old 07-24-2018, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys I’m pretty sure I don’t need to tell anyone this but Billman is the man. I took my car in to him for maintenance items and coilover install and he is the most professional mechanic I have ever met. His work ethic is off the chart and he knows these cars like the back of his hand. It is worth the wait and worth the drive. Great guy, I will only let this man touch my car moving forward. That is how impressed I was first time meeting him and getting work done.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:05 AM

S2KI PM is my only form of communication thanks, PM sent.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Billman,

Thank you so much for taking care of my MY00 S2000.

I know communication is the key and I didn't relay to you the possible obstacles that could possibly fix my car.

But the whole time you were solving problem after problem. I do appreciate you thinking skills. I was to the point of saying let's just do it another day.

I am thanking you publicly for rising up and taking care of the differential problem with my car.

Now, I am a firm believer that you are a god sent to take care of the S2000 community.

Thank you again.

Chris

PS
Thanks for showing me a little bit of how to drive my car.

Quick Reply: Billman Motion S2000 Repair Thread IV