New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Comptech reinforced and 4.57's gotta go

Old 10-25-2006, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comptech reinforced and 4.57's gotta go

Well, I'll be selling the car/trade in sometime after January... maybe sooner. If any of you guys are looking for CT reinforced and 4.57's send me a pm. I find it a bit loud myself, but I'll be switching from LE607 to Mobile 1 next week to see if that quiets it down. Probably make it louder, but worth a try with the colder temps anyway.

It will be a diff swap, you get mine and I get yours. The good thing is I know exactly what speeds its the loudest and I can replicate it fairly easily to demonstrate how loud it is for interested pples.

I live in a condo... So it would have to at a mechanics shop or someone with a lot of tools available (can't do it at my condo, association would have a cow). Need a ball joint popper etc. and its a PIA to do with jack stands.

I consider the gears a wash but I want something for reinforced diff and speedo calibrator . BTW this was a prebuilt diff from Rick's, and yes I followed the breakin procedure. Nothing larger than very fine sand in the fluid changes or stuck to the magnetic drain

Still not sure I'm going to do it this way. I'm shopping for a used diff atm, and may just ebay/sell off in the "For sale" section.

It has just under 10k miles on the gears.

And don't even get me started about my comptech SC'r... I am NOT looking forward to dismantling that thing.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a good, hardly used diff, with stock gears, that I will be glad to swap with you. The question is ... who did the gear install ??

The diff I have is out of the car already .
Old 10-25-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, you are on it
Old 10-25-2006, 12:43 PM

A bit enthusiastic Eliot?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:51 PM

How much are you looking to get on top of the swap? Damn, Eliot, you really want these, huh?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:53 PM

egads ... my comp kept locking up .. I didn't know all the posts were even going through . I deleted all of the other 30 (J/K) posts ...
Old 10-25-2006, 02:16 PM

Probably $500.

Just since it doesn't seem to jump out...

The diff was BUILT by Rick's (through Stratocaster).
Showed up in a crate that could have survived a nuclear winter.
It was straight pumpkin swap, we did NOT have to install the gears as they were already installed in the pumpkin by Rick's.
It was installed at 37k miles, car currently has 45,500.
Includes the yellow box speedo thing.

That's about it.

BTW, if I send any short or pissy sounding pm's... I'm operating off 4 hours sleep and I wacked my head into the head board last night... You get the idea (and no, it wasn't for a "good" reason to head off those questions )
Old 10-25-2006, 03:20 PM

I am not proceeding on this ... anyone else interested ??
Old 10-27-2006, 05:31 AM

I'm going to put this on hold temporarily. With the cold weather this morning it was noisier than I'm comfortable with and I'm not about to swap this thing with someone unless I know it's 100%.

I'm taking it in for a fluid change (living in a condo blows) next Saturday. I want to see what the LE 607 looks like and make sure their are no large particles in the fluid. For the record, their have NEVER been in all my previous changes. I'm just freakin parnoid and I'd hate myself if I gave someone a bumb diff. I may have my mechanic pull the diff and crack it open and so I can inspect the gears while I'm at it. But I'll wait and see how the fluid looks first.

For all you guys who responded, I'll let you know what's up after next saturday. Hell, this may be perfectly normal, but I don't have another 4.57 to compare it with so I don't know if this is too loud for it or not.

Better safe than sorry.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:50 AM

^ That is nice of you. Good to see a seller that actually cares.

Quick Reply: Comptech reinforced and 4.57's gotta go