New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

the droid smartphone

Old 11-13-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the droid smartphone

im in the market for a new cell phone and i already have verizon. i was looking at getting the droid. any thoughts or reviews on if this phone is as good as verizon says
Old 11-13-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

google has this:

http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_dr...Stories+2%29%29
Old 11-13-2009, 11:02 AM

I've only had it 2 days. This is what I can tell you so far.

Droid Day 1 Review: Um, it's FAST, MUCH faster than the iPhone. The Facebook app loaded in a split second and it left me like "wait, WHAT?". Seperate workspaces for personal and work calendars and emails. Full sync with gmail and google calendars, including my contacts!!! Found a few of the exact same apps that were on my iPhone (think Pandora, Shazam). I think I'm in love.

Just keep in mind the camera according to all the reviews I read SUCKS. Might be fixed by firmware, not sure yet. It's not a good mp3 or video player either. If you're into the one device for all, stick to the iphone or something like that. If you want a powerful phone with a good open source platform, can't go wrong with the Droid. I hope they... Read More fix the camera issue, it seems to be the biggest one. Personally, I thought having the iphone I'd do my mp3's and videos as well as having it be my phone. Battery life sucks when you do that so I opted to keep my nano. I'd rather carry two devices than one with a crappy battery. Bottom line, read up on it first before you make the jump. Sad, but I'm probably picking up an itouch as well after I sell my iphone.

Droid Day 2: Battery died in 12 hours. NOOOOO! My own fault, I didn't learn HOW this thing worked before I jumped in and set everything up. I had my work email and gmail on push so it was constantly connected to the network. Push on the iPhone drained the battery VERY quickly as well. Add on everyone playing with it myself included to see how things worked and the battery just couldn't take it. Also found out that because it multitasks everything you use stays in active memory until it needs memory for something else. Downloaded a 99c application called Advanced Task Manager. I can manually end any app I'm not using or don't want running. Won't do that just yet, want to see how much push being off extends my battery life. Good thing about this phone though, I can always get a 2nd battery! Still loving the phone!
Old 11-13-2009, 11:02 AM

One of my friends recently got a blackberry and hated it. He just returned it an got the Droid instead and he loves it. Ionly got to speak with him for a lil while but he was telling me about how all his email accounts are linked together along with all his contacts and it was really convenient. Also, the speakers sounded pretty good and loud.
Droid will probly be my next phone
Old 11-13-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by orangebarius,Nov 13 2009, 04:01 PM
That's the eris review...still not running Android 2.0 though.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:44 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=743549

thats my short review from leaving the iphone to the droid.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Banned

droid owns, kinda.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:15 AM

Hold off on the Droid. HTC Passion looks like its coming before end of year. I'll be returning my droid for that!
Old 11-14-2009, 08:38 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by NoRegrets78,Nov 14 2009, 09:15 AM
Hold off on the Droid. HTC Passion looks like its coming before end of year. I'll be returning my droid for that!
theres always something better coming out i should know i normally change my phone every 3 months or less sometimes lol.

Hes right tho. the htc passion is going to be amazing. But i like having a real hardware keyboard. even if its not that good its better then a touchscreen keyboard. Dont let anyone fool you. the Droid/Android keyboard will never be as good as the iphones. the iphones screen uses technology that is patented for apple ONLY.

However, when the snapdragon processor starts getting used by all the android phones it will be set a new bar in the cell phone game. snapdragon is a 1 ghz processor. it will be able to rape the iphone, of course thats taking into consideration apple doesnt upgrade to either that or a similar processor next year