New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Dyno Testing in NJ?

Old 10-15-2002, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo, thanks for the imput. Good point about the CAI test with the hood open and the fan. I looked at the AEM CAI and other similar systems with metal down pipes. My feeling was the metal pipe has to pick up engine heat and transfer it to the cold air in the pipe on the way to the engine, defeating the purpose of the CAI. The K & N uses a plastic pipe and has a heat shield with rubber gasket that forms a seal between the hood and the CAI giving more protection from engine heat than the AEM or similar unshielded metal pipe systems.

As for the CAT I guess weight and looks are the two most important factors if there is little or no HP gain. What are you running on your car?

Bruce is close. I'll try him on Sat and let you know.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:47 AM

Sorry i wasn't more specific... yeah the AEM is a boat load of money but from what i hear in terms of tuning it is the shiznit... I know there is an aplication for the S2000 but i don't think it is worth it unless your mod list is longer then a grocery list..

Oh an my friend's ITR's is all motor and he is looking for 230-240 ish... i'll be there all day on tuesday so feel free to come check it out, should be interesting, hope he doesn't blow his motor up
Old 10-16-2002, 04:06 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes, RTW-S2000 240ish RWHP on an B18C5? That's a lot of internal engine work. Definetly can be done, DRT has a ITR engine running about that much. Car should be running in the low 12's all motor that is if it has the weight savings to match. Probably really loud too. There is a S2000 application for the AEM EMS but anyone buying it should know that it's basically will allow you to fire up the engine. If you want to drive it be ready to pay hours of tuning. It's a very powerful tool but pretty much overkill for most of us, myself included.

AJS2K - I think the thing bothers me about the K&N is where it gets the air from. That little whole on the side of the engine bay. That is it's restricting factor. With the AEM and Injen, if you cut out the little faux vent, you are getting air directly from outside. Of course you risk water ingestion at that point though. As for the cat back exhaust, I really think that weight savings is the only benefit if you are going dual. Look for the lightest one that fits in your budget and has a sound you can live with. I run a single Amuse R1. I don't mind the sound I lose 42lbs. and it's been dynoed to produce nearly 10hp and 8lbs of Torque.

Sorry, I always forget that the sigs don't show if you use the quick reply.

Greg - thanks for the kind words. I don't like to see people waste money, especially since I've been on this board so long that I've basically seen everything both firsthand and through the wonderful magic of the internet. Sorry, guys if I come on strong but it's better to hear from someone who has gone and tried different products to find stuff he likes then to go through experimentation yourself and pay all the added costs. Ask anyone who has ever seen my garage. I am always changing and selling stuff till I am happy with it.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:40 AM

At Fall Colors I saw one car with a Spoon CAI flat carbon fiber pipe. It hooked into the OEM CAI box and ran through the plastic shield between the front grill and the engine. You have to cut the shield to fit the carbon fiber pipe into place behind the grill. It's about $350, does it work any better than the other CAI systems?

Are there any weight comparisions around for the dual cat back systems? When you look at the dealers web sites that info is missing.

Dan don't worry about coming across to strong with your advice. I am sure that most members who read your posts appreciate the time you spend helping the rest of us out. It's great to have someone out there who has been there already.

Thanks again,
Tony

2002 S2000
Sebring Silver/Red
Old 10-16-2002, 08:27 AM
Former Moderator

I've tried the Spoon, it does it's advertised job. The car gets feed constant cool air at speed (meaning when the car is in motion). Problems I have with it. Very expensive for what you are getting. Not really a big gain in hp. No weight savings. That little pinch in the system where the hood meets is restricting flow. Benefit is that it's easily reversible and looks good.

As for exhaust.
Since we are only talking dual systems. These are the ones I remember off the top of my head this is compared to stock

HKS - nothing maybe 2lbs
Apexi World Sport - about 5lbs
Neuspeed 15lbs less
Borla - 5lbs less
Supersprint - nearly 20lbs less
Mugen - 25lbs less
Amuse - 35lbs less

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:06 PM

Bullish motorsport previously known as rally motorsport in Hackensack NJ has one of the best Dyno's in NJ.
Old 10-24-2002, 04:34 PM

Dyno Day!!!!!!! Today was the day for my stock dyno run, K & N Aircharger install and second dyno run to see the results.

My 2002, 3,800 mile, bone stock S2K pulled 198.5 HP and 130.7 torque. It took 1 hour for the K & N install. We let the car warm up and ran the dyno. The results were 204.1 HP and 138.5 torque an increase of 5.6 HP and almost 8 of torque. The torque increase was throughout the power band not just at top end. I don't have a scanner but if anyone wants me to fax you a copy of the chart PM me and I will fax it to you.

On the way home on Route 287 I had a chance to open the car up a little and my "seat of the pants" meter felt a kick in power and speed. The car felt faster. The sound from the K & N was similar to the OEM CAI without the cover on. Deep roar at VTEC. Some guys complained about an increased valve sound after the K & N install. I didn't hear any increase. Sounded good to me.

I can only say good things about Bruce's Speed Shop in Rockaway. He took a lot of time explaining the dyno and what mods make sense. He works on a lot of Honda's, Vettes and Vipers. Bright guy. He charges $75. for 2 dyno runs and $80. for 3 runs. He has an $80,000 dyno setup with the most up to date equipment. He spent about 3 1/2 hours with me and charged me for 2. His number is 973-664-0192. Ask for Bruce. If a bunch of club members get together maybe we could swing a group rate. Might be a good Saturday meet.

ItalianBucwheat AKA Greg stopped by to watch and chat on his lunch hour. Greg thanks for the company and for recommending Bruce.

Tony
Old 10-24-2002, 05:40 PM

Hey it was great to meet ya Tony...aka ajs2k. Wierd how we didn't meet each other at fall colors. WOW Your sebring silver with those
ssr rims looked really nice...maybe one of the nicest sebrings I have seen. Sorta neat how Bruce sets the dyno up right by the highway. Lots of beeps and looks. Glad to see that the K&N made some nice numbers. I might just have to schedule a dyno pull for myself. I always liked this speed shop ...but after hangin there and seeing Bruce in action I like it even more. Very relaxed and mellow.
I wish all my lunch hours contained s2000 Dyno pulls. 80 bucks for three pulls...not bad at all.