New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Long time owners: what keeps you from selling your S?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long time owners: what keeps you from selling your S?

Hey!

So I've owned the s2000 for very close to 7 years now. Not as much as many of you but more than plenty. In that time I've purchased two other cars and have sold them both because I didn't enjoy them too much (00 insight and 06 si). I don't think the answer is modifying the car because I really have been happy with the way it looks and feels. I even detailed it again last week.

The thought of selling it just came to mind last week when I purchased another vehicle. I like the luxury and would like to also like to own an older more powerful version of it. Truth be told I have always been attracted to that car. I have wanted it for several years but never enough to sell the s2000.

There are times I want it immediately and then there are times I just feel disgusted thinking of selling the s2000.

Maybe it's just winter and I miss driving top down?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before the FR-S/BRZ came around, the only replacement (to me) for the s2k costs a lot more -- Porsche or Lotus. And it would cost even more after I get it prepped to where I want it. The financial risks after a crash would be greater with a Porsche or Lotus. So it really didn't make sense to replace the s2k when I love how it performs and is cheap to maintain.

There are certainly a lot nicer (read luxury) cars around, but they are a supplement not a replacement to an s2k (or Porsche, Lotus, FR-S/BRZ).

Anuj, which car did you get?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
Before the FR-S/BRZ came around, the only replacement (to me) for the s2k costs a lot more -- Porsche or Lotus. And it would cost even more after I get it prepped to where I want it. The financial risks after a crash would be greater with a Porsche or Lotus. So it really didn't make sense to replace the s2k when I love how it performs and is cheap to maintain.

There are certainly a lot nicer (read luxury) cars around, but they are a supplement not a replacement to an s2k (or Porsche, Lotus, FR-S/BRZ).

You sell your FR-S/BRZ?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't drive much. Come next April, I'll have the car for 6 years and I'm at 52k miles now. I actually drove the car down to Marathon, FL last year. It's fun to drive and it's reliable. Definitely the best part is driving with the top down. I don't have any complaints with the car. Sooner or later, I will need a second car for practicality.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kndonlee
Originally Posted by iLuveketchup' timestamp='1353342081' post='22159736

You sell your FR-S/BRZ?
Don't have an FR-S/BRZ, but if I didn't have the s2k & if I were to get a sports car now... I'd chose the FR-S/BRZ.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For most guys, the thought of keeping the car forever always come up after just buying any new or used car. More often than not, it doesn't always happen. The S2000 is the one that is actually worth keeping. People just get too attached to this car.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:23 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

/> Anuj!!!

Long time buddy. I never thought that I would own another S. I thought that once I finished with my S I'd be finished. After it was totaled out I thought what do I want to drive next? I always liked Z cars but when wifey bought her z33 that solved that dilema. RX7, MR2 all came into play but nothing came close to giving me the satisfaction I get from driving an S. So I'm back in an S. Another AP2, Same color. />
Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup

I don't consider the BRZ/FR-S a replacement since it is not a roadster and needs a little more HP to match up IMO. After really thinking hard about it and considering stepping up to a Porsche or Vette I just decided to keep the S and not throw away money into something that isn't a home and vacation home. As I highlighted above the only replacement is a Porsche that is far more money or downgrade to a Miata which just doesn't look as sexy as the S and is under powered. There really is no replacement for the true driving pleasure that the S brings and is a perfect balance for what it cost. That's what keeps me from selling it. I am not a real long term owner but I am already on my second S and plan to keep this one with a plan of getting a daily soon or just keep renting larger cars when I need it. I have managed to have the S as my main car for the last 2 years now. Since I don't have to worry about winters anymore I can see the S staying as my daily till I have enough in the S fund for a supercharger.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

the thought has crossed my mind, even though im not a long time owner i dont think i will ever sell it. ive had multiple offers on the car and i tried to reason myself into selling. never happened. there really is nothing like this car, its a perfect balance of fun and reliability. ( i think thats what makes it so fun ) Hell for Jeremy Clarkson to like a car and praise it on TV, its gotta be something.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

anuj, keep the s2k and your new bmw 328i. you have a dd and a weekend toy. do more autocrossing and maybe track it. go to meets and just enjoy driving the thing like you used to.

personally i am going to keep the car for a long time and get another car when i need one. this way i will have a weekend toy and a dd if and when i need one. my gf has a crv, so i can def get away with the s2k for a while longer as my only car.

the s2k is still fun to drive and that is why ive had it for over 6 yrs now.

Quick Reply: Long time owners: what keeps you from selling your S?