New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

My car's actin' weird

Old 01-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down My car's actin' weird

Hello everyone......long time listener, first time caller lol

Recently (like just this week) I've noticed a weird rattling sound from under my car.

Not like coins rattling around....but like an aluminum can that is scraping against my gear box (for lack of common car knowledge) for some odd reason, but ONLY when my clutch is entirely to the floor.

You can't feel it in the actual clutch when I'm changing gears or anything....but ONLY when the clutch is fully engaged and I start to move in reverse or forward a bit. It's quite a significant scraping sound and I'm more than positive u guys would agree if u heard it.

Aside from the scraping u can hear the "tin can" sound scrape off as if it comes off an edge where there is no longer any more of that "aluminum" sounding metal.

My problem only occurs when I'm taking off ....either reverse or forward......any tech guys have any idea???

Billman to the rescue????
Old 01-01-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like it may just be a heat shield. bring it to your local mom and pop auto repair shop, most will pull it off with no charge.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's telling you to get a membership
Old 01-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by GRUNTS2K' date='Jan 2 2009, 05:40 PM
Old 01-02-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GRUNTS2K' date='Jan 2 2009, 02:40 PM
FINE!!! i'm getting one....but only because you might've "jinxed" the situation

If one of you kind gentlemen wouldn't mind (re)informing me about going about that ole' membership obtaining trick...

but as for now my car's still makin' that noise...ONLY when reverse now

I had a nearby mechanic take a seat and hear it firsthand....and i got "some problems are better left alone just so they can worsen and stand out as a significant problem, otherwise you'll go and change other things that might mess up somethin' else and the origin of the sound will have gone untouched....

i think it's coming from the cat tho, when I installed my pipes it did seem quite snug trying to redrill the bolts back in...but it's been a while since then..maybe I should put in the TP it came with
Old 01-03-2009, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by PalenkosBro' date='Jan 3 2009, 02:21 AM
FINE!!! i'm getting one....but only because you might've "jinxed" the situation

If one of you kind gentlemen wouldn't mind (re)informing me about going about that ole' membership obtaining trick...

but as for now my car's still makin' that noise...ONLY when reverse now

I had a nearby mechanic take a seat and hear it firsthand....and i got "some problems are better left alone just so they can worsen and stand out as a significant problem, otherwise you'll go and change other things that might mess up somethin' else and the origin of the sound will have gone untouched....

i think it's coming from the cat tho, when I installed my pipes it did seem quite snug trying to redrill the bolts back in...but it's been a while since then..maybe I should put in the TP it came with
my guess world be a bad t/o bearing, but let Billman chime in for this one.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

jack it up, climb under and have a look. maybe something is hanging. check the heat shields above the cat. see if it moves when you touch it. get dirty and try to find the problem. maybe its an easy fix.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by orangebarius' date='Jan 4 2009, 03:51 PM
jack it up, climb under and have a look. maybe something is hanging. check the heat shields above the cat. see if it moves when you touch it. get dirty and try to find the problem. maybe its an easy fix.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

might be the muffler bearing. Get under the car and do what barry said and check for loose parts or things rubbing.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing' date='Jan 4 2009, 07:50 PM
might be the muffler bearing. Get under the car and do what barry said and check for loose parts or things rubbing.
muffler bearing

Quick Reply: My car's actin' weird