New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Need new beater

Old 11-17-2019, 04:00 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Need new beater

Some of you may know that God saw fit that I escape death once again and my beater was totalled out. In usual style the rear end of my vehicle was involved. I was leaving for work on a Friday morning and I said to myself I should take the S to work today because it's a nice day and soon the weather will be cold and the S will be in storage. I took the keys and went to the garage. When I got in front of it I changed my mind and took this car. When I was on the way to the garage I thought about how almost every time the S was involved in an accident it was on Friday leaving work. I mentioned that to Jose once and he told me that he "never, ever takes the S to work." So I want to thank him for saving my S but I'm in need of another beater. Any suggestions? I just need something reliable to get me back and forth to work. Something economical (4cyl). It will be parked on the street and I don't want to insure it, don't really care if it gets damaged or not, and know that it will be there when I come back. Needs to have room for 4 - 5 and needs to be a 4dr. The IDGAF factor limits me to something under 3 grand. I'm going to miss my POS. Any Suggestions?
Old 11-17-2019, 05:00 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope you are OK and find your beater soon.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:39 AM

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

That should buff out! Glad the S is ok.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:29 AM

Received 1,321 Likes on 999 Posts

My personal formula is Japanese luxury sedans. They don't hold their value and are often cheaper than their economy counterparts. They also often were much better cared for by their affluent owners, who didn't have to choose between scheduled maintenance and paying bills.

These owners are typically more conservative drivers as well, especially if they chose a boring car.

I look for ones with higher miles, which drives the selling price way down, but typically not the value, as modern cars can go 300k miles and still be reliable. Key is condition. Often to rack up that many miles, the miles were easy highway miles.

The downside is they don't meet your criteria for fuel economy. But you're rolling in a upscale ride.
The following users liked this post:
RUGBY (01-28-2020)
Old 11-17-2019, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
My personal formula is Japanese luxury sedans. They don't hold their value and are often cheaper than their economy counterparts. They also often were much better cared for by their affluent owners, who didn't have to choose between scheduled maintenance and paying bills.

These owners are typically more conservative drivers as well, especially if they chose a boring car.

I look for ones with higher miles, which drives the selling price way down, but typically not the value, as modern cars can go 300k miles and still be reliable. Key is condition. Often to rack up that many miles, the miles were easy highway miles.

The downside is they don't meet your criteria for fuel economy. But you're rolling in a upscale ride.
I see what you mean. I checked out a 2006 TLX yesterday, leather seats, sunroof, 150000mi owned by a school bus mechanic. He told me I'd probably want to replace the power steering pump. . Other thing holding me back was the fill up price. He wanted 3k
Old 11-17-2019, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by The King
That should buff out! Glad the S is ok.
lol I was the last car in line going through an intersection waiting to make a left turn. A tractor trailer going the other way was making a left turn behind me. He was blocking everyone making a turn so no one in front of me could move. He started turning through the intersection and I saw the back of the truck wasn't going to clear my car. I started blowing the horn frantically but no one could move. I took off my seat belt and got ready to jump out the passenger side but the truck cleared the door but not the back of my car. To make matters worse he kept going and I ran down the block after him but he kept going. The lights changed and he kept going. Someone shouted "Catch him man. Get in your car and chase him!" I looked around and saw the traffic was clear and I jumped in my Toyota and swung around chasing the truck down the street dragging my bumper behind me. When I caught up with him he said he didn't know that he hit me and he apologized profusely. To shorten the story he settled up and here I am.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 1,271 Likes on 775 Posts

Accord Wagon baby! The ultimate utility beater, and its SUBURBAN registration allows for rear door window tinting.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/...015168817.html
Old 11-18-2019, 05:55 AM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Glad you're ok bud, Check out the TSX or an older gen Accord
Old 11-18-2019, 06:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/...009529457.html

toyota lexus honda acura probably wouldnt deviate much
Old 11-20-2019, 10:59 AM
bbp

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://automobiles.honda.com/civic-type-r