New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Picnic location decision. Everyone who wants to attend please respond.

Old 06-13-2002, 06:25 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok no grills at Bear Mountain so I need to ask if anyone knows of another park that can accomodate us and has a grill. The park should be central to everyone if possible. If not does anyone have portable grill available? Or is everyone agreeable to a Yogi Bear style picnic meet. We'll just grab sandwiches, chips, salad, and drinks?
Old 06-14-2002, 04:58 AM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Dan,

It actually looks like I may not be able to make it now (son may be home for the weekend, if the gathering isn't too far then I may just drive down for a bit but won't be able to stay), but I do know of a park right off of the Taconic St. Pkwy in Yorktown. I haven't been there in several years, but I do believe you could cook there. Here is the link:

http://www.nysparks.state.ny.us/cgi-bin/cg.../parks.cgi?p+85

Here is a map of westchester parks

http://www.co.westchester.ny.us/Parks/broc...upPicnicMap.htm
Old 06-14-2002, 06:32 AM

Received 564 Likes on 507 Posts

I'm fairly sure that you can grill at Harriman State Park which is right next to Bear Mountain. Take Seven Lakes Drive from Bear Mountain. The only problem may be no grilling due to drought conditions and high fire hazard.

I would like to try and attend this picnic but I may be away for work that weekend. They haven't been telling me these things until the last minute so I haven't responded "yes" yet.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That spot that we all met up at in feb, wasn't there grilles there? Was that Harriman Park? That place would be good if they let us grill.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:13 AM

I was looking on the NYS parks website and Harriman does have picnic areas with fireplaces, no mention of grills, though. However, in the area is the Rockland lake state park and the description does state that there are grills for BBQ-ing and picnicking. Anyone been to this place? If parking's good there, perhaps we should head there. Here's the link for the site, nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/. Guys check it out, I didn't have time to check too many of the parks, but I'm sure we could find something in there.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:01 PM

I have been to Rockland lake nice park but not as big... Have faith we will look at every possibility tomorrow..
Old 06-14-2002, 06:29 PM

As for grills -- DONT WORRY ABOUT IT !!! Bear Mt. DOES allow food cooking if you bring your own grills -- I have no problem picking up a few disposable grills (in fact I think I have some already from my boating days ) -- they are no more than a few bucks each. We can use 'em and throw 'em away ...

The only thing I did not like about the Bear Mt. Park was that the rangers I talked to indicated that there were no picnic grounds adjacent to parking lots -- and that the picnic grounds are a bit of a "hike" from the parking lot -- this too can be overcome if we don't mind NOT looking at out cars as we eat -- and if we bring a few luggage "wheels" to carry the food and what not ...

Anyway -- my thanks again to those venturing out tomorrow to check out the possibilities -- and I am looking forwards to hearing the news ASAP !!!

Eliot
Old 06-14-2002, 07:16 PM
Administrator

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

There are indeed grills at Bear Mountain State Park!!

Defender called H A R R I M A N State park Silvermine (where we met in February is in Harriman park; Bear Moutain park is up the road and they definitely have grills around Hessian lake right next to Bear Mountain lodge.

Hang in there until tomorrow afternoon/evening and we'll give you an answer.

J.P.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:59 PM

Actually - I did NOT call the Harriman State Park; I called the number ( (845) 786-2701 ) given to obtain information on the Bear Mountain State Park in an on-line article apparently written by the editor of hudsonriver.com :

http://www.hudsonriver.com/bearmtn.htm

the number is that of the Palisades Interstate Park Commission. I then pressed "3" on the menu -- which connects to information about the Bear Mountain State Park, and I worked my way through to an area where I left a message - and was called back and informed that there were no grills at the Bear Mt. State Park ....

I guess that the people giving out info about the park should be giving out different (i.e. more accurate) info !!

Anyway -- that is actually what happened.

Hopefully there be grills in dem dare hills !!!

Eliot
Old 06-15-2002, 09:17 PM
Administrator

There are plenty of grills, picnic tables and a huge parking lot at Silvermine in Harriman park as it turns out.

Brian (8900s2k) took some pics so I guess he'll put them up some time soon.

We'll need to work out the details as to who's bringing what etc. during the week.

Quick Reply: Picnic location decision. Everyone who wants to attend please respond.