New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

tailgating

Old 05-10-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Evangigi
seems like people like to or have to get right up on my ass, at lights or slow traffic. That burns my biscuit! What is there a thing people got to get so close????
when coming to a stop i give them a quick brake jab where i want them to stop, then continue to roll forward another 10 ft or so. works good in the city
Old 05-10-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

If they're tail gating while you're still moving, I've tried looking in my driver side mirror right at the driver in the eye. For some reason, every time I do this, they back off.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:49 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

We all know how brake checking can send an absent minded gater into full on road rage. So when I need someone to back off, I use my hazard flashers. Seems to work well. Sends the message without escalation.

Maybe sometimes they initially back off cause they think I'm warning about a real hazard, but still wakes them from their stupor and they tend to stay backed off.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I get a lot of tailgating around where I live for some reason, one of the things I like to do that wakes people up is pretend to be a worse driver than they are. Getting really close to the edge of the road, making quick movements back to center, maybe touching or crossing the double yellow a little when it's clear ahead of me. Makes the people behind really nervous that I'm about to get in an accident that they don't want to be a part of.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:58 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

When I was younger, before anyone had cell phones, I had a gold Saturn tailgating me. I was driving my Chevy LUV pickup truck. Sped up, he stayed behind me. Moved over, stayed behind me. I even pulled over, he also did. At this point I knew he was looking for trouble. Got back out on the road, about 45mph. He was so close, almost touching cars. I kept my eyes on his eyes, waiting for him to look away. I saw him look to the side, and I slammed on the brakes as hard as I could. He smashed into me and under me, sending the back of the truck into the air. I landed, and continued to drive. The Saturn sat there totaled, with fluids gushing everywhere. He got out yelling, with his big mighty double middle fingers. I drove home happy, with nothing but gold paint on the heavy steel bumper, and the dif.

I gave him more than enough chances.

Last edited by Billman250; 05-13-2018 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
When I was younger, before anyone had cell phones, I had a gold Saturn tailgating me. I was driving my Chevy LUV pickup truck. Sped up, he stayed behind me. Moved over, stayed behind me. I even pulled over, he also did. At this point I knew he was looking for trouble. Got back out on the road, about 45mph. He was so close, almost touching cars. I kept my eyes on his eyes, waiting for him to look away. I saw him look to the side, and I slammed on the brakes as hard as I could. He smashed into me and under me, sending the back of the truck into the air. I landed, and continued to drive. The Saturn sat there totaled, with fluids gushing everywhere. He got out yelling, with his big mighty double middle fingers. I drove home happy, with nothing but gold paint on the heavy steel bumper, and the dif.

I gave him more than enough chances.
Hahaha, holy crap! Never EVER cross Billman!
Old 05-15-2018, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In small cars like these and Miatas it feels like they are actually up your rectum 1 ft deep. I recently acquired an s2k but I have several miatas so this is nothing new to me and in NYC it’s common for people to be right up your ass. Ever wish you had a 2 step just to give warning?
Old 05-15-2018, 10:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TomW4
I was to create a device that will shoot out liquid (brake fluid or something) at a press of a button. Put the nozzle just below the bumper and point up.
my buddy used to have a 2000 acura integra that was slammed and loud, drew too much attention and people would always speed right up behind him

He took the rear wiper off and we found out if you flipped the rear window spray nozzle 180 degrees, it would shoot an arc of wiper fluid into the air and land perfectly on a tailgators windshield

It was hysterical, encountered some serious road rage on the garden state parkway heading back to ny one weekend, the other party wasnt a fan
Old 05-16-2018, 04:38 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

I'm hoping the hyper flashing 3d brake light helps. I can just touch the brakes and it rapidly flashes for a couple of seconds and maybe get them to back off a bit. I'm not going to do a "brake check" with the S2000.

-- Chuck
Old 05-16-2018, 05:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

In addition to tailgating, around here when drivers coming the other way see that you want to make a left
turn, they deliberately speed up so you can't. Must be something in the water.

Quick Reply: tailgating