New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Top down encounters in the S today

Old 12-27-2003, 02:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It was a bit nippy out today (around upper 30s or 40ish) but it wasn't THAT cold and since it isn't going to get any warmer than this, I decided to drive with the top down with my sister. Had a few interesting encounters with other people.

1. I was first in line at a red light next to a pickup, the dude starts rolling down his window smiling and licking his lips in my direction for the whole minute we were sitting there scrolling his beady little eyes along the S2000. Enduring that for a full minute can be a very long time. I just sped away after the light turned green - freaks!

2. I was driving at a normal pace in the right hand lane on Rt. 347 Nesconset Hwy and this old man passes me on the left flicking me the bird - I was stupefied as to why he would do that as I didn't do anything to elicit such a gross gesture. An old man did this to me last week but this was another old man, wtf??

3. I was at a stop light on Deer Park Avenue and these girls in an SUV ...
passenger - "aren't you cold?"
me - "the heat is very good, there's nothing like driving with an open airy feel, you should try it sometime"
passenger - "i don't have a convertible, maybe you can show me what it feels like sometime"
me - "yea sure, my SISTER (I emphasized that word lol) doesn't ride with me much"
passenger - "ok well see ya"
Too bad that's as far as it went lol.

4. Some cute lady in a 350Z gave me a wave then proceeded to punch it.

5. Some guy in an old Alfa Romeo smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

It seems whenever the top is down, there doesn't go a drive where I don't get compliments (or profane gestures) on the car. I didn't get the car for this reason (if you do, then you're just too rich) but whew, what a car we have!
Old 12-28-2003, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gotten any nasty gestures yet.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:18 PM

And I had another negative encounter yesterday around 1 AM driving on the Northern State westbound from Rt. 347. It had to do with the HID lights bobbing up and down because of the road texture. I was humming along passing someone in an old Cavalier who was on my right and as soon as I pass, he gets on my ass and flicks his weak ass highs like there's no tomorrow. Then he passes me on the right flicking me the bird and shouting some expletives I couldn't make out while I give him the "what did I do" gesture. In the meantime, there are highly reflective highway signs that was clearly showing the cutoff line going up and down NOT getting brighter and darker like one would witness with the use of the high beam. I mean why would I start flashing him if he didn't even do anything to me? Then he gets in front of me and slows way the hell down and I flick him the real highs, not to get back at him but to show him I wasn't flashing him all along and that those were the real highs. But shit for brains still didn't get it and proceeded to change lanes and slow down to get next to me. He was rolling down his window with something in his hand (probably to chuck something at me) so I gunned it from 60 to 130 in no time and he was just a speck in the rear view. Keep in mind there are hardly any cars on the NSP at this time and it's relatively straight near the eastern end so I wasn't risking anyone else's life. Either this guy was dumb and stupid or he let his useless pride get the best of him.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:31 PM

There are some wackos on the roads. I get dirty looks because of the headlights as well. I actually had a guy give me the thumbs up when i had the top down the day after christmas. My friend was in the passanger seat and enjoyed the ride.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:08 PM

I had mine down yesterday I was driving on the GSP. It was a great day weather
Was nice.

I had a Wacko last night on the way home though... I was in the left lane ( Of Course ) I come up to this jeep. I wasn't riding his ass I was back at least
Two car lengths. When he get by the slower traffic he moves over so then I proceed to speed up to pass, I didn't down shift just pushed the pedal down The
Next thing I know I'm coming up to some more traffic and this jeep is like pacing me then just at the last minute speeds up and cuts in front of me. WTF !!! so
NOW I down shift and go around the traffic on the right. I get around the traffic
Start to slow down and move into the left lane and the DEEEK head is right there
Trying to box me in.... I'm like WTF !!! so I grab a gear and move over to the left
Lane again..... So I get on it figured I'd put some space between him and I. So I get to the next toll both go through and get behind some slow traffic and two seconds later guess who is up my ass with his GAY ARSS BLUE LIGHTS.... he gets
so close to me When I look into my rear view I can't see his head lights WTF!!!
So he goes around on the right of me and the slower traffic and I figured good
BooBye.... the traffic moves over and I pass and go back to 80mph and who is waiting for me but the Jeep in the middle lane WTF!!! so as I start to pass him he speeds up.... so I slow down and so does he..... so this goes on for a bit no matter what I do he just want go away so I back way off real quick and stay behind him and slow down but so does he I slowed down to about 40 mph and so does he.... So now I'm like Effff You buddy I grab my cell phone and dial 911
And just as I get the operator on the phone he get off an exit so I didn't get his plate number .... But I pull over to tell her the exit number and what mile marker
and this Joker stops in the middle of the exit..... so I talking to the lady and told her I wasn't gong to hang around It was dark out and who knows if this JACKO Had a gun or something.... The reason I brought this up was I couldn't figure what I did to trigger this, But after Si Driver's post maybe It was my headlights
It would be the first time someone got all pissed off at me because of those HID's
O well, what are you going to do.... If there wasn't so many cars on the road I would of just done like 130mph for about 5 minutes .... But there where so many cars and any time I did speed up so did he while cutting people off so thats why I backed off I didn't want to provoke him. I just don't get it I mean there are plenty of cars on the road now with these lights you think people would figure it out by now....
Old 12-28-2003, 09:15 PM

me and paul had our tops down last night! and it was kinda chilly!
Old 12-28-2003, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by YeloS2000ShowGrl
me and paul had our tops down last night! and it was kinda chilly!
Last night was a little chilly, but a few weeks ago when it was like 20 degrees
or less out Paul had his top down. I'm starting to wonder who is more crazy
Paul with the top down in the freezing temps ... Or Gary driving top down when its like pouring rain.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:45 PM
HJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jacko
I just don't get it I mean there are plenty of cars on the road now with these lights you think people would figure it out by now....
I think you give them too much credit. People (some) are not as smart as you hope they'd be. Eh well.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:36 AM

Received 812 Likes on 447 Posts

I did the top down thing into January last year. Initial new car rush I guess (even after 6 months and about 11K miles at that time). People at work where like 'WTF? Isn't it a little cold?" I just took off my hat, and said "Not really"

I don't feel the need that much this year, so the S is nicely tucked away for now. Going to the Dr. this afternoon, and with mid 50's expected, I'll probably swap after lunch and go for a little drive.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HJZ

Quick Reply: Top down encounters in the S today