New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

Windshield replacement?

Old 09-10-2010, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield replacement?

Well I was on the highway and now there's a nickle size crack in the dead center of my windshield from a pebble or rock or something...

The overall damage including the cracks around it is maybe a quarter size.

The windshield was replaced by the previous owner but it still looks like it's been sprayed with a sandblaster in the sun and the trim around it looks all sloppy.

Does anyone know anyone or recommend a place in the tri-state area within 1hr of Rockland County (basically as far as Rutgers Jersey, old westbury LI and border of CT) to either fill it or replace my windshield?

I don't think my insurance would cover it... I'll check with them too. I changed it on the Prelude and it cost $200 out of pocket.

At this point I don't know whether I should replace the whole windshield or fill it.

Thank in advance guys.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Safelight all i can think of is there damn commercials lol
Old 09-10-2010, 05:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try to fill it first. Most insurance will pay for the repair regardless of your deductible or glass coverage.

In the same boat actually, just got a nick in mine that was replaced 1 year ago.

The best place I know of is KP Glass on Broadway in North Massapequa. The owner Kevin is really into cars & has a mint '67 Vette. They have always done right by me.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i know a good place in hawthorne nj. its call absolute auto glass. they filled some chips in mine yrs ago and i got a quote for a little over $200 for a new windshield installed. its a small family owned business. i was gonna have them install my new windshield, but then jacko hooked it up at his old job.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:43 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

mine looks like it's sand blasted too, never wore out a windshield before.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Deception,Sep 10 2010, 05:21 AM
I would try to fill it first. Most insurance will pay for the repair regardless of your deductible or glass coverage.

In the same boat actually, just got a nick in mine that was replaced 1 year ago.

The best place I know of is KP Glass on Broadway in North Massapequa. The owner Kevin is really into cars & has a mint '67 Vette. They have always done right by me.
See the problem is if I fill it will it look the same? I've never had it filled before so how would they even fix the cracks? Can I just buy something at autozone and do it myself?

The whole windshield looking sandblasted in the sun is what makes me want to replace it. Also the trim not being on right around it is also making me want to change it to.

I guess it would be smarter and cheaper to fill it though. My concern is how it will look after.

Hawthorne is actually really close to me... near Fairlawn and Franklin lakes actually.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

yea i live in fair lawn, so thats why i went to hawthorne. honestly its not worth it to fill cracks. i had them fill 3 of them for me for around $100. it was good for 2 yrs or so, but then i got more and eventually a big ass crack, so it had to be replaced. the oem windshields suck. jacko put on a nice ppg one for me and its stronger then oem. no chips, cracks or anything in over a yr.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I would just get a new one rather than try and fill it or whatever. Won't fix the sandblasted look it has. Mine is the same way and when driving into the sun really blows!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used to know a glass guy that does service calls for $150 in Jersey.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by S~Factor,Sep 10 2010, 08:53 AM
I used to know a glass guy that does service calls for $150 in Jersey.
I wish you still knew him. =[

Any suggestions on that rubber/plastic trim that goes around it? Thinking of going on Majestic Honda or something if they can't take out the one that's there now with care.

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement?