New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

windshiled replacemnt

Old 11-26-2015, 05:22 PM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

^^^^ ok liam so if i oreder an aftermarket glass do they have everything needed for the install? or do i have to order stuff also like rubber molding etc...?
Old 11-26-2015, 05:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

If you want to change the glass for that, your wasting your time tony because it will happen again if you drive the car.

Most places have everything to change the glass. If you want the rubber molding to be OEM, you need to purchase it.

When my windshield broke on my Camry, I went to a place I dealt with in the Bronx and 40 minutes later, I was done and go to go. They have everything.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah what Adobo said
Old 11-28-2015, 10:36 AM

every non OE glass has some sort of defect, wave, blur from my experience.

an insurance glass claim will def scar your insurance history

Buying a OE glass (and new molding), then having a glass shop install it would be your best bet. but most costly out of pocket.

The rake angle on the s2000 glass isnt the best for preventing sandblast, and or direct debris cracks and chips. so choose wisely my friend
Old 11-28-2015, 11:34 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2 cents would be to leave the glass unless it's cracked. Once you cut the oem glue out it will never be the same. You can have possibly have leaks from the a-pillars if it's not done right. There are also shops that can polish the windshield for scratches. My dealer uses a company that does that.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[quote name='S2kMarkus' timestamp='1448739414' post='23814525']
every non OE glass has some sort of defect, wave, blur from my experience.

an insurance glass claim will def scar your insurance history

Buying a OE glass (and new molding), then having a glass shop install it would be your best bet. but most costly out of pocket.

The rake angle on the s2000 glass isnt the best for preventing sandblast, and or direct debris cracks and chips. so choose wisely my friend
[/quot

I don't know markus personally but I believe we both work at dealerships so take our advice pendejo lol I don't understand that big deal with your window since you don't drive you car more than 1000 miles per year and its not cracked so wtf lol Do not report it to your insurance it will hurt you later on if you ever change companies. Some of the questions insurance companies ask are if you've had an accident,moving violation or claim within the past 5 years.. If you report this to your insurance it will tarnish your insurance history for a few years which isn't worth it to me for just a windshield.. Try and have your window slightly sanded and polished by someone who knows how to detail cars and it should cover up or remove a lot of the spots youre seeing now.. I wouldn't replace the windshield unless it was totally cracked but that's just me...
Old 11-28-2015, 05:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.5kallday
...He convinced me to get an after market glass so I did and it cost me $325 installed which is about half of the oem window including installation. The glass and installation were perfect but I immediately realized my rear view mirror was slightly higher than before and it was hitting the map lights when I put it in my position. Im 6ft tall so have the mirror angled kind of high which wasnt a problem before with the oem glass but with the after market it became a nuisance since it hit the roof liner and vibrated due to that as well...
I have the same problem. I wish I new that the PPG replacement windshield was like this when I got mine replaced two years ago.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by 8.5kallday
I don't know markus personally but I believe we both work at dealerships so take our advice pendejo lol I don't understand that big deal with your window since you don't drive you car more than 1000 miles per year and its not cracked so wtf lol Do not report it to your insurance it will hurt you later on if you ever change companies. Some of the questions insurance companies ask are if you've had an accident,moving violation or claim within the past 5 years.. If you report this to your insurance it will tarnish your insurance history for a few years which isn't worth it to me for just a windshield.. Try and have your window slightly sanded and polished by someone who knows how to detail cars and it should cover up or remove a lot of the spots youre seeing now.. I wouldn't replace the windshield unless it was totally cracked but that's just me...
Yeah, I've been on the service and parts end of dealership life for over 13 years....hate it. lol

Anyway, Tony, I have glass polishing pads. Theyre real good for removing water spots, not so much chips and scratches.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting timing to see this same dilemma. After 71k miles the OEM windshield is just pitted. I think when the new year comes, will just have to bite the bullet and go with the OEM glass. After 8 years of ownership changing one windshield should be acceptable.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tony you should have glass coverage. Call insurance and put in a claim. It is a no charge claim. I had to replace windshield on my Scion 3 times this summer. Fuking rocks all over the LIE out here.

Quick Reply: windshiled replacemnt