New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Aashish quits smoking!

Old 09-15-2010, 12:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Aashish quits smoking!

Ok gang, here it is the thread to support Aashish to kick the butt habit. Apparently now is the time he is trying to kick it according to a subtle post in Dave's thread.

Originally Posted by aashish2,Sep 15 2010, 03:10 PM
Counting by hours here

Good work Dave, you are an inspiration
Aashish, we you man and support you every step of the way you can do it! So let us support you

Dave your doing awesome!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:58 PM

Rose, quit cold turkey years ago. She offers her support for you Aashish she says you can do it!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:06 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks guys....I have been quitting or trying to for a while.

Stopped cold turkey for a full week and lit up while in NJ. Then a gap of another work week and then Knapp weekend.

Smoked a few since (from buddies here at work). However determined to make a clean start.

Thanks again Dave for starting this. Jeff, will try cleaning the car everytime I feel the urge.

I have not publicly commented because I want to build up confidence that I can actually do it and stick to it. The hardest times are when works being a bitch...but that too will hopefully pass soon
Old 09-15-2010, 01:09 PM

^ This thread is here to help not to ya.

You can do it bro!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aashish, I've already suggested the patch, if you want to go that route, and I have one other secret - for me, something in my mouth helps alot.
I got myself a LARGE supply of round toothpicks, and with deep breaths, it almost simulates holding a cigarette. Others I have know swear by carrot sticks, or hard candy, but I don't need more caloric intake!

I know exactly how the first few days feel - the memories are very vivid.

Let me know if I can help in ANY way.

Dave
Old 09-15-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by S2KNFR,Sep 15 2010, 04:56 PM
It can be done. I did it, and if I can, anyone can.
You will kick the cat.
You'll feel better for it to.
LOL, Jeff, I was going to say almost the exact same thing! I was 2+ packs a day, most days, for the last 15 years....

Dave
Old 09-15-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 194 Likes on 167 Posts

Aashish, if you knew how bad smoking actually was, you would never light up!

When I was doing medical work for the local hospital, I reviewed every patient chart where there was an adverse or unexpected result, even if no medical claim was being made. I could tell right off the bat which patients were smokers and which were not, because the smoking was usually directly related to some adverse aspect of the patient's medical history or was related directly to the complication that led to my reviewing the chart. When you are a smoker, you are going to have medical issues sooner or later. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when. Heart disease, lung disease, esophogeal (sp) disease, arterioscloserosis are all clearly related to smoking as well as the blood's diminished capacity to carry oxygen. "A 45 year old male presenting with a history of heart disease is in the hospital for a persistent nose bleed" Who has a persistent nose bleed that requires a hospital admission? You keep reading and you see that he smokes a pack a day. I actually had a case where the guy lost both legs at the knee because he was a 56 year old smoking diabetic.

My father was a life long smoker. He was dead at 63. I'm 62. By the time he was my age, he was seriously ill. Maybe his cancer was unrelated to smoking, but it sure didn't help. You may think 62 is a long way off. It's not. It's just a blink of the eye. Consider Doug and the fact that he's already getting his AARP application in order. So I encourage you to stop ASAP.

Plus, cigarettes are expensive. You could be spending this cash on flowers for JJ.

If you are having a struggle and need intervention, let me know. There's a guy around here that I can track down. They call him the Mad Russian (must be a friend of Disgruntled's). He does some one time group session that ends up hypnotizing the whole room and everybody swears it works but can't understand why. And I think the cost is like $65. Nancy knows maybe more than one person who has attended and has quit cold turkey.

Good Luck, work hard, but quit. In the long run, you will be happier for it.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:13 PM

And the great thing is, the rewards don't take long to manifest themselves - I can do HOURS on the bike after 4 weeks, and when I started it was hard to do 5 mins. I am sleeping MUCH better. And my wife says I am snoring less. My sinuses feel better. My beard is thicker.

Food tastes GREAT! However, I am sure if I asked my cardiologist to rank all his goals for me, getting to ideal weight would be lower on the list than quitting smoking. After 4 weeks, I'm back to my slow loss anyway.

Dave
Old 09-16-2010, 03:44 AM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The first few days are the hardest. Just get yourself occupied with something else if you really feel a craving.

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:19 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

My Mom smoked almost all of her life. She spent her retirement years in and out of hospitals. The last 10 years of her life she was tied to an oxygen hose 24/7. When she left the house, she had a back pack with a portable tank that she had to deal with. She's been gone 2 years now. At the rate my Dad is going, he'll be around another 10 years without her. If that isn't motivation to quit, I don't know what is.

Of course, you could look at the cost of a pack a day for the next 40 years and realize what that money could do for you if you put it in your automotive fund.

Aashish...you CAN do this!

Quick Reply: Aashish quits smoking!