New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

AEM V2 or K&N

Old 07-01-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM V2 or K&N

which one should i get ????!!!!!
Old 07-02-2009, 04:06 AM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

If you're looking for power gains, there isn't much to be had from either (or any) intake...save your money for other mods if you're looking for power gains.

I'd tend to think you run a greater chance of hydrolock with the AEM over the K&N.

I'm sure both will provide a bit more aggressive sound, and it is always nice to get rid of that 5 lbs of plastic Honda calls an airbox.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you looking to do?
Change the look of the under hood visual by deleting the OEM box?
Get a power gain?
Get rid of the throw away OEM paper filter and go to a reusable style?

NOTE- If you are looking for power gains with an S2000 you have essentually 2-choices. Choice one is reduce weight on the car so the existing hp to weight ration changes, or, second choice, go forced induction. Honda got just about everything there is out of the 2.0 4-cyl. Do not think the money spent on an intake is going to yield a noticable change in power, it won't, nor will a header, or an exhaust or most anything else. If you go this whole mod like hell route hoping for more power what happens is you spend tons, and tons of money and the hp increase is tiny.

I'm not saying don't mod the car to make it unique, I'm just saying, you are not going to spend money wisely if you are looking for more power unless you go forced induction, or shave several hundreds of pounds off the car.

With that said, I went with the MUZ Snorkel so the car does not breath hot air from under the hood, and A JR Racing foam filter because I hate buying paper filters that only get thrown away when dirty. I don't see my change as a performance increase, I see it as an aesthetic change as well as a cost effective maintanence change.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:23 AM

Also, there is an AEM instake for sale in our for sale thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...post&p=16535985
Old 07-02-2009, 04:35 AM

I planned to get the K&N simply for the sound. Is that bad?

Also, the K&N is an easier install than the V2, the threads I have seen for that show that you have to cut plastic, and that would break my heart.

And all the research I have seen reinforces what Doug said, Honda got it right, and bolt on mods like intakes and exhausts don't do much other than change the sound...
Old 07-02-2009, 04:37 AM

I have nothing constructive to add not being able to afford mods but I wanted to say for starting a real car thread

and remind Doug that some of us have the 2.2 upgrade
Old 07-02-2009, 04:40 AM

A video and audio of a newly installed K&N. I love the sound
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ic1-yh-fQ [/media]
Old 07-02-2009, 05:22 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 148 Posts

Would I derive any benefit if I were to install a K&N air filter element in the S? Would the S sound louder
Old 07-02-2009, 05:26 AM

You'd get more sound with the stock airbox simply by removing the cover to it, but then you'll actually lose power due to heatsoak.

You can also gut the airbox to get a louder sound. I don't think you're going to get a noticeable difference just by changing the filter.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:28 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 148 Posts

If the S sounded a tiny bit louder with top down and there was no drop in performance, I'd wanna do it

Quick Reply: AEM V2 or K&N